Pricing Update

A minor point that seems to have passed some people by: inflation measures how quickly prices are increasing. If inflation goes down it means that prices are increasing less rapidly. There is no rational reason to expect prices to fall back to an earlier level in response to inflation going down.

Deflation is another matter.

GW dropping prices…. Shareholders would never agree to that :blink: … perhaps this is a sign for me and my mates to finish with 9th Ed … realistically I have years worth of models to paint :tongue:

++EDIT++ My mates have been pestering me for a few years to paint up my 8th Ed OldHammer Vampire counts army.... looks like a good time to start :laugh:

Edited by Mumeishi
added text.

All this is, is a company saying “we can up our prices by 5$ every year, until people finally stop buying our products”. I mean that’s it in a nutshell, and it’s not gonna stop until they reach that magical line.

This certainly doesn’t feel like buying a tactical squad box 20 years ago, which is what inflation should be doing. This feels like a company realizing they can charge triple for that same tactical box and get away with it through small increments. 

Yet another reason that after my Imperium subscription ends I'm going to put my hobby money into buying a 3d printer. I may buy a box now and then, especially if there is a decent boxed set that has stuff I want, or some of the "Boxed Games" sets like Necromunda or Warcry that don't get as many 3d printed alt sculpts. I can't justify a continuing slate of purchases when GW has never done anything but raise prices though. In over twenty years in the hobby I have never seen a decrease in prices from GW, regardless of any currency differences or supply chain changes. 

As predicted, my response to this is going to be hostile. Bloody greedy capitalist pigs that need to get their heads smacked upside down pronto.

3 hours ago, matcap86 said:

Understandable in the current economic climate but especially FW stuff is getting way out of my comfortable price range with this.

How is it understandable?? They raised the prices not once, not twice but three times (if memory serves) last year, and as 2-3 people pointed out they are well ahead of inflation, therefore making this announcement pointless. That's like applying for your welfare system for low-income without needing to be on it, when you have thousands of dollars already in reserve. No, this is just GW exploiting the situation and blaming something else, when they have zero reason to, and especially when they won't or will be impacted by it. Just to add the cherry on top, how much do you want to bet when inflation ends, they will keep the prices at inflation levels. Or if they are particularly "clever" they might go back to pre-inflation pricing and then jack themselves off saying "look at us aren't we heroes for reducing the price".. when they are still making the same amount of profit, before they jack up the prices halfway through the year this year. 

Take a good hard look at what GW has done gents, this is exactly what's wrong with the entire world in terms of greedy corporations ruining our lives and playing it off as a "service" to us. 

#boycottGWandtheirproducts

Edited by Skywrath

I wonder if recent releases are already priced with this hike in mind. A lot of folks were surprised at the World Eater prices, I hope this means they aren't going up even further, nearly £40 for Eightbound or the HH jetbikes is a prospect that makes me feel bad.

1 hour ago, Starfarer said:

While these things are always annoying, I jokingly say buying GW plastics is a better investment than stocks or crypto.

My pile of shame is about to go up in value 6%. That's better than most of my investment portfolios over the last year. :laugh:

If you think GW plastic has gone up, you should see piece of old GW metal minis, especially Mordheim.

I'll still be buy some GW products, but it will basically just be paints, as I like their metallics, washes, and technical paints. Other than that, I'm probably out at this point as far as official GW models go- I've got plenty of official models to play in tournaments and I will be able to print anything else I want. 

How much are you guys spending a year on Warhammer anyways? You'd have to spend over $300 a year to see a $20 price hike with the 6% average. Are some of you out there spending $100's a year starting new armies every edition? I haven't bought a model since January 2021. By no means am I a fan of price hikes nor would I defend GW for it, but I'm just astonished on how much some of you spend on plastic toy soldiers in the first place.

I've basically given up on buying stuff.   I got a gift card for 50 bucks at the local store for Christmas and saw an Impulsor was going for 80 bucks.  Nope, sorry guys.  I'll save it to buy paints for the stuff I have to finish.  

I used to buy all the codexes that came out for reading pleasure back when they were $25.  I then shifted just buying the books for the armies that I collected.   Now I only buy the Space Marine book and the Templars chapter book I will bring with me to games.  The only models I've bought in years were the Templars release, and also the 30K box set release because I expected my FLGS to start regular 30K events (they have not.) 

It's pretty mind bending to me that with disposable income going down everywhere on the planet GW is choosing to do a price increase, but what do I know.

17 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

How much are you guys spending a year on Warhammer anyways? You'd have to spend over $300 a year to see a $20 price hike with the 6% average. Are some of you out there spending $100's a year starting new armies every edition? I haven't bought a model since January 2021. By no means am I a fan of price hikes nor would I defend GW for it, but I'm just astonished on how much some of you spend on plastic toy soldiers in the first place.

Before my Imperium subscription took up pretty much all of my hobby funds, I set myself at a monthly hobby budget of $50-70. For me, that's a decent budget when compared to going to a movie ($14-25 depending on location/snacks) or even going out to a decent place to eat ($30+ per person). Compared to some of my single, childless, non-homeowner friends, its on the low end of the scale for hobby budgets (one of my buddies just dropped $300 last month for some Dreadknights and GK termies), but it was enough to get a box and a paint or two each month when I started back up in the hobby six years ago.

People vary in what they spend on their luxuries/hobbies- just because some of us spend a lot on tabletop miniatures doesn't mean we value them any less than someone who spends hundreds on their watch collection or a gun collector on new firearms. Some of us are builders, some painters, some players, some all three, and some are simply collectors- non are any less valid than anyone else's hobbies or other interests. 

I'd stopped buying 40k stuff and had moved on pretty much all bar my orks. Heresy brought me back and I'm on 10,000+ points of emperor's children now. 

However, my hobby is funded by selling armies. In the past 18 months I've moved into star wars legion and GW's middle Earth game as it's comparatively cheaper than 40k/AoS. 

My wife and I are both teachers with 2 kids. There isn't sufficient disposable income for us to justify hobby bar myself self funding via sales. 

The nature of 9th Ed combined with the ever upping of costs means that my 30 years of buying 40k is all but done. I'd be inclined to play old editions (2nd I'm staring at you) but not sure I'll dip into 10th.

Sad really as it's been a huge part of life for me but other games ahoy I guess.

41 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

There was literally a new edition for Heresy, in plastic, with a sweetener for 40k players with a huge load of marines. Thats $360 CAD straight up; for anyone interested in the game for more you add another $85 CAD for the army list. And then any extras to get beyond the minimum points level. Votann also dropped with the ~$240 CAD box set

300 a year is chump change for warhammer now, and not buying a single model for 2 years is very....uncommon. 

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

42 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Q- do you drink? or smoke?...do you go out for dinners often(take away included), do you pay to go see Bands or buy concert tickets (often?).... if you do any of these then that could be why you don't buy new models ... Also are you married?,  with Children?, paying off a house/apartment?...

Barring being married with a Child and paying off a place I do none of the above (except take away nights once a week) and use my "Pocket Money" to buy Mini's, start new armies...etc,  that's my only disposable income hobby and it's kinda been rather tight already... GW's new price hike's puts me out of starting new armies and even new editions like 10th Ed.  ... and i'm sure it does for many others... 

M.  

A good part of me suspects the list is fake, as the cutover date isn't until March. Depending on how thorough, that's a large amount of data to create, so impressive nonetheless at that point.

As for the general here, it's rather unfortunate, but not unexpected with how they roll. A part of me wonders how much dividends push the company to do things like this, but I'd need to run a trend on more than one business doing so. That said, even if expected, it's not a great thing to see, especially with costs rising elsewhere and putting a squeeze on many folks' budgets.

It's not unexpected. It's not unwarranted, I understand it. I accept it. But I'll be mad about it for just a minute. No one likes paying more. I didn't get a raise with inflation so it just means I have to buy less. Less models and army and less time doing the hobby. (I don't really get to play the game itself) So of course that is going to upset me and people in general. Let them (us)  be mad for a little and it'll pass. Well, until next year when they price hike again. lol

This isn't going to make a huge difference when it comes to buying a box of plaguemarines, but it's absolutely brutal for FW models. That won't hit WH40k particularly hard, but some of the skirmish games will really suffer.

March 6th price hike .xls file (US prices):

https://trade.games-workshop.com/assets/2023/02/Feb 23 US Price File.xlsx

I haven’t seen the UK or EU ones on their website yet, they’ll probably upload them today.

EDIT: I’ve checked a few prices and the “6% hike” seems to be an average and not the exact figure for every kit, as some kits stay the same, some go up by exactly 20% and others even more.

At least in USD prices, maybe the 6% figure is for GBP ones.

Edited by AenarIT

19 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

This isn't going to make a huge difference when it comes to buying a box of plaguemarines, but it's absolutely brutal for FW models. That won't hit WH40k particularly hard, but some of the skirmish games will really suffer.

It's brutal for combat patrols - they went up last year and the US ones are jumping by 20%...