Imperial Agents Updated Datasheets (inc. Assassins & Inquisition)

The exclusion of the Terminator Lord began with the list printed in Octarius II.  Until that publication, the rules from PA: Pariah were still legal- meaning they are not incompatible with the edition. If you've got a like minded group, and someone's got PA: Pariah, I say game on.

Side note: I have the purple guy in the pic, but I never knew the red guy existed.

I'm genuinely upset about the update. It feels like an outright downgrade. I just opened up battlescribe to see about trying to make an Agents list and I can only get it up to 1500ish without doing bonkers things like giving every acolyte a thunder hammer. I don't know why assassins are HQ now. Does anybody, anywhere, look to the Officio Assassinorum for leadership? If they were elites, I could at least supplement the list by taking all four but that isn't an option with them being HQs. Navis Mobilit doesn't even function as a detachment despite being referenced. Acolytes are still the hottest of garbage. Assassings lost stratagem support while Inquisition lost strats AND relics. The one only limit on Inquisitors makes zero sense to me since inquisitors regularly work together when in warzones (ex. the team of Ordo Hereticus inquisitors dispatched to handle the maelstrom zone).

It's my mistake. I hoped for a second and we all know that hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

4 minutes ago, librisrouge said:

I'm genuinely upset about the update. It feels like an outright downgrade. I just opened up battlescribe to see about trying to make an Agents list and I can only get it up to 1500ish without doing bonkers things like giving every acolyte a thunder hammer. I don't know why assassins are HQ now. Does anybody, anywhere, look to the Officio Assassinorum for leadership? If they were elites, I could at least supplement the list by taking all four but that isn't an option with them being HQs. Navis Mobilit doesn't even function as a detachment despite being referenced. Acolytes are still the hottest of garbage. Assassings lost stratagem support while Inquisition lost strats AND relics. The one only limit on Inquisitors makes zero sense to me since inquisitors regularly work together when in warzones (ex. the team of Ordo Hereticus inquisitors dispatched to handle the maelstrom zone).

It's my mistake. I hoped for a second and we all know that hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

The Assassin change was puzzling to me as well, but unfortunately overall the update didn't change much even with that. You couldn't really create a decent list with the Inquisition before and adding in all the rest of the odds 'n sods like the Assassins and Rogue Traders/Navy Breachers hasn't really changed that. It is slightly better in that you can actually create an AoO detachment with Elites (3x Acolytes or Jokaero or Daemonhosts) and then add in Breachers or Voidsmen to give the list some actual infantry, while also allowing three assassins to be taken as HQs (thus using up the previously unused slots due to the 1 Inquisitor rule). The loss of Relics and Strats are what really hurts the Inquisition/Assassins, as taking them as independent, non-slot units before gave you some access to interesting stuff that other armies didn't have. 

I'm fairly sure that there were two reasons to limit Inquisitors to one per detachment. The first is because while Inquisitors work together frequently in lore, they are often portrayed as solitary and paranoid around even other Inquisitors. Secondly, GW for some reason believed that multiple Inquisitors would break game balance, which is odd because aside from some leadership bonuses they aren't much better than SM Lieutenants or IG Commanders. 

Its frustrating for sure, and as someone who has multiple Inquisition warbands and various figures, I'd love for them to actually have a decent set of units so that I could go hammer the enemy in the name of the Holy Ordos, but right now we have to simply bide our time and hope that eventually there will be some sort of decent update.

• 1 month later...

I think I've guessed why assassins were moved to HQ; to limit how many assassins you can take.

If they'd have stayed in the Elite slot, then they wouldn't take up FOC slots under the Arks of Omen rules. You could have all assassins in an army easily. GW doesn't want people to actually use Agents, so they had to fix that.

• 1 month later...

Reading this stuff is further confirming me that me and my boys made the right choice to just do Oldhammer (3rd edition) at home and stay out of the larger 40K scene.

I think 8th edition was the last new edition I played so don't even really know what's going on. Not thinking I am missing much from what I've seen -- for my style of play and fluff.