Female Primarch Project Redux! Dawn Legion Ideaboard

Go to solution Solved by Brother Dougal,

Every artist I contact either doesn’t call back or has a waiting list of months! So many roadblocks! Gaaaaah.

Since this is the first time I’m having the Selenar depicted, it’s got me nervous. Nervous and rethinking. Have I got the right idea for them? Will this work? Is there something I’ve missed, some problem with their role that’ll drag on the Legion?

This wouldn’t be the first idea I retconned. Or discarded.

Let me go over this again:

• The Selenar are a group of gene-witches from Luna.
  • They were conquered by the Imperium, and forced to work for them.
  • They helped create Space Marines, and taught Apothecaries their trade.
  • Some of them rebelled against the Emperor, hurt the 3rd Legion, and got the whole group punished for it.

That’s the general bullet points about them. It is stated that the Selenar are divided into different cults, but none are ever described in detail. We don’t know how many there were, or the nature of their differences. All we know of their beliefs is that they studied the mysteries of life and were devoted to keeping that knowledge safe. So, what do I want to do with this?

• The incident with the 3rd Legion fractured the Selenar cults.
  • One leader, seeking any kind of chance for her cause, crossed paths with Tlatia. The two spoke at length.
  • The 11th Legion had just had their own incident with Mars, and the Primarch was trying to adapt.
  • Eventually, an offer of alliance was made: the 11th would provide this cult with shelter and transport, and the Selenar would use their knowledge for the Legion.

That last part is what’s most important, and what needs the most work. 

Welp, that’s mostly resolved. I should’ve waited a little longer before calling more artists, now I’ve got 4 of them putting my name in their queues. XD

We’ll see how this goes. But now that I’m having characters in the Legion drawn for the first time, I have another problem: names.

Names suck.

Should I just make up some faux-Nahuatl names, like how GW makes up faux-Latin ones for its characters? Those can sound funny. Or should I try to look up actual names? I might get it wrong trying to be historically accurate, unless I can reach out to an actual historian.

Either way, here’s who’s coming:

• 1st Captain - Terran-Born, leads the Panthera. Serious guy. Works to bridge the gulf between Tlatia and her sons, even as he wonders what their future will look like.
  • Legion Champion - Homeworld-Born, part of the Tecuani. A Jackass. Smug, self-centered jerk who ignores his brothers and only fights for the fun of it. Censured half a dozen times for insubordination before the Primarch herself intervened and put him in the Honour Guard. No one knows why, but she seems to be the only one he’s willing to listen to.
  • Chief Librarian - Homeworld-Born. Strange. Uses biomancy to alter his appearance. Looks frightening, behaves friendly. Always good for advice.
  • Selenar Matriarch - Terran (Lunar)-Born. Has to balance her duty to her cult with her deals with the Legion. Like everyone else, her people are changing and she doesn’t know what they’ll become. Finding a new purpose, a new future for them, is what matters most to her… for now.

I need a name for the homeworld. Didn’t I come up with one? Is it written down somewhere? Gotta check my notes, be right back! What do you guys think?

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

https://www.reddit.com/r/ImaginaryWarhammer/s/DVfXF7BqVHimage.thumb.png.bd422e21a4be7381e29e08a129b51148.png

(This 5mb limit on images is TRASH. TRASH, I tell you.)

So here’s my newest commission, a picture of my Chief Librarian, Eztli. He is a master of biomancy which he uses to alter his appearance as seen here. Rather than simply bear a symbol of the snake that is the totem of Librarians, he chooses to show it through his very skin. Naturally, his stunning good looks often provoke a ‘strong reaction’ in mortals meeting him for the first time. To counter this (or perhaps to off-put them even further) he has a friendly, cheerful personality, always ready to offer help or advice to his fellow man.

(In several Mesoamerican cultures, there are stories about shapechanging wizards called Nahual, or Nagual. Channeling different spirit animals to take on their forms, these mischievous sorcerers use their powers for good and/or evil, depending on the individual. Different communities either accepted, tolerated, or hunted nahual as well. They were the inspiration for my Librarians.)

Edited by Brother Dougal
Found way to place image into post

Oh, I almost forgot. All credit to the amazing artist, Alexey Potorochin. Please feel free to check his stuff out, or even commission him if you want. He’s just left Russia to start a new life and could use all the help he can get.

https://x.com/artistpotoq?s=20 - Twitter

https://t.co/8jLXDjd15b - Artstation