Who else will take up points on the Star of Chaos?

Xenith

If you've seen the Bound Daemons of the Ruinstorm Update from GW, you've seen the awesome new Chaos star artefact image they have, which describes the cardinal points of the way of Chaos/the Primordial Annihilator.

These are

Encroaching Ruin, Infernal Tempest, Malevolent Artificer, Rapturoous Sensation, Ravenous Dissolution, Putrid Corruption, Formless Distortion and Heedless Slaughter. 

With the rumour that Vashtorr will attemt to become a minor god and take a position on this star, we can clearly see that there is a rough prototype for what would later be known as Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle and Slaanesh, and we can see which one is Vashtorr.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2e134d310254009d46803677555b0e21.png

If we map these to the themes on the star, using the NE, SE, SW and NW points for the main gods, we get: 

Heedless Slaughter - Khorne

Infernal Tempest - Tzeentch

Putrid Corruption - Nurgle

Rapturous Sensation - Slaanesh

Malevolent Artificer - Vashtorr?

This leaves the following three remaining aspects of the Annihilator that could potentially have new gods matched to. 

Ravenous Dissolution
Encroaching Ruin

Formless Distortion

What do we think these gods could be? Personally I think that Ravenous dissolution could be the Horned Rat/the god of the Hrud, if there is one. Are there any other chaotic godlike entities with characteristics that would match the remaining vacant spots?

Edited by Xenith

41 minutes ago, Xenith said:

Heedless Slaughter - Khorne

Infernal Tempest - Tzeentch

Putrid Corruption - Nurgle

Rapturous Sensation - Slaanesh

That makes sense, as the opposing gods are at 180 to each other.

I would have thought Ravenous Dissolution could refer to Chaos self-destructive qualities, i.e. Malal/Malice?

Edit: I reckon if you put one of the big 4 at the top, some people would take it as evidence of that one being the greatest.

...maybe the star moves around depending on whose power is waxing/waning?

Edited by Lysimachus

Mmh.

IIRC there  is a line in the recent „The End and the Death“ that describes chaos as

„the eight paths of the four that are one“

(Or something like that - I have troubles searching audiobooks for keywords )

which certainly would fit in here very well? 

I like that this version does both offer  the major powers as sort of possible cardinal points / exemplars of various traits but the none of them appear to b e more prominent here over the other aspects and they are not mutually exclusive either as well as conjoined as being derived from the central pool of the primordial annihilator.

This is allows a much more fluent interpretation of aspects that encompasses both the “known” powers but also has place for something like Vashtorr or the Horned Rat. Or Bel’akor. It’s much more fluid and malleable, so fits the theme  nicely as Chaos can encompass  all of these aspects and / or focus on certain traits. It’s a very fine representation  for “ Chaos, undivided”

Might be just my bad eyes but it doesn’t read clearly as “Malevolent Artificer” to me just “Malevolent Artifice” with a very flowery end. So it might not be a direct link to Vashtorr - even if that one  does certainly manifest this aspect pretty obviously /  dominantly. So the other three “unassigned” points might  not have to have something attached to them by default? 

But it sure seems fun to speculate about them :laugh:

28 minutes ago, Xin Ceithan said:

Bel’akor

D'oh! How could I forget the big man himself! I think he'd maybe fit the formless distortion option, having been the Shadowlord, being a spirit without body for quite a while, and generally manipulating people.

So we have Vashtorr, Be'Lakor, the Horned Rat (maybe too WFB-esque?) Sa'ra'am.  Could Samus, the daemon prince of the Ruinstorm be the 'Encroaching Ruin', which would have been at it's peak during the heresy?

Malevolent Artifice - Vashtorr?

Ravenous Dissolution - The Horned Rat / Malice
Encroaching Ruin -  Samus

Formless Distortion - Be'Lakor /  Sa'ra'am

Edited by Xenith

I don’t know that the points have to even line up specifically with entities all the time, or that the Chaos Gods themselves, while in opposition, couldn’t partially occupy another point at the same time.

For instance, Tzeentch could easily occupy a Formless Distortion aspect with the “endless change” concept, etc., while Nurgle and Khorne could both potentially fill an aspect re: “Encroaching Ruin” while having their main aspect as well.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

Sa'ra'am, being the daemon of creating instruments to murder stuff with, seems like a natural contender for Malevolent Artifice. I've seen a lot of people refer to it as a daemon of Khorne, but I don't remember if Slaves to Darkness specified this or not. If it is, then it's a fragment of a god already, and presumably incapable of apotheosis. If not, Vashtorr probably has it beat anyway.

Samus seems like a perfect fit for Encroaching Ruin. Be'Lakor could be this as well, or Formless Distortion like you suggest (although really this seems like Tzeentch's ballpark to me - I'm guessing that they aren't exclusive, even if some of them are monopolized to one degree or another). I wonder if daemon princes can become gods, or if their mortal origins get in the way?

Drach'Nyen might have potential as a candidate for Ravenous Dissolution. It's currently a sword, but we know it can be other things. If nothing else, this might be the part of the octed it represents, as we know it's independent of the big four.

It's cool, the 4 cardinal points are almost (if you tunr the lights down and squint a bit) transition points between the ones that people have associated with the classic 4. I don't think they really associate with the other gods though beyond maybe Vashtor/ Hashut as Artifice (although that works for slaanesh and tzeentch too). 

Myriad are the gods of chaos

Abbadon-Drach'nyen for Encroaching Ruin-Ravenous Dissolution

It is possible that Abaddon and Drach'nyen fuse together to become a Chaos God similar to Archaon/Droghar

Spoiler

Abaddon is the Dark King and current Everchosen since Horus failed

Be'lakor-Vashtorr for Formless Distortion-Malevolent Artificer

Primordial Annihilator is Chaos Undivided, the Eight-Point Star, signifying the countless ways Chaos works against its targets

• 4 weeks later...