10th Edition Index Improvements.

I want to go ahead and start this so we can have some discussion on possible needed and wanted changes to our Army now that they have announced indexes and said they have examined and made changes across each faction. 

my want is for sword brethren to get bodyguard and blade guard to get sword brethren key words. 

for my BA I’m not really sure what I’d like. I guess I’d like the chapter rules to be a little bit better in melee, particularly lasting more than the first round of melee.

or any melee boosts other melee chapters get only last for 1 round of combat as well.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

"Newer" codex would get more core mechanics directly ported into new format. World eaters would 99% keep their blood tilthe system(their 9th codex is already not 9th style, very few stratagems). 

Templar codex is not too new, not too old. The names of 4 vows would stay but the function may vary. Older design like BA savage echo will gone.

Many stratagems will be absorbed into unit datasheet and work as once per game abilities.

Still too early to say, as having only seen one data sheet it's hard to gauge where balance is going to lie. I'm thinking that some abilities won't be once per game though, or even once per phase. My understanding of the explaination of the abilities is that some are once per turn, which means even if you have 2 characters you couldn't repeat it, and others are just whenever it triggers for that specific unit. I think the 1d6 movement for Termagaunts will work that way, as it feels similar to how Berserkers currently work.

With this reaction system we could see Templars get movement toward psychers when they cast on them, maybe. Potentially other things.

23 hours ago, Tokugawa said:

"Newer" codex would get more core mechanics directly ported into new format. World eaters would 99% keep their blood tilthe system(their 9th codex is already not 9th style, very few stratagems). 

Templar codex is not too new, not too old. The names of 4 vows would stay but the function may vary. Older design like BA savage echo will gone.

Many stratagems will be absorbed into unit datasheet and work as once per game abilities.

some strats like transhuman would be good once per game abilities, but i think stuff like the sword brethrens exploding 6s to hit in melee should be an ability all game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2023 at 4:58 AM, jimbo1701 said:

Rules aside I’m defintely going to use some spare pyreblasters to convert crusaders into one of those flamer squads. 

I have plenty of unbuilt intercessors for this very purpose.

Unless anyone has seen the indexes i can only assume chapter specific units will be the only BT flavor we will have. 

By the way GW has been hinting, it feels like chapter tactics will be universal and you chose one.

Edited by SirJyo

We will see tomorrow but from what little info there is it seems like every codex will have its own special detachment(s), then every subfaction will have a page of extra stuff like enhancements and strats, etc. My hope is to retain what we have now, so we might not get Vows in the index but I can see them being the buff in our Detachment like Doctrines in the Gladius Detachment, Relic bearers can be in enhancements and then our chapter tactic can be whatever, I'm not gonna be mad if CTs go the way of the IG codex and with how modular the army building seems so far it seems like that would fit in this overall direction.

I really hope the primaris keyword goes away, Sword Bros in Land Raiders or Drop Pods sounds cool.

On 4/5/2023 at 2:59 AM, Tokugawa said:

In GW preview, terminator sergeant has "power weapon" instead of "power sword". Less headaches if go WYSWYG.

I thought this was also in 5th. Just power weapons. You decide rule of cool, they all work the same.

On 3/23/2023 at 6:50 PM, KnightofSigismund said:

I want to go ahead and start this so we can have some discussion on possible needed and wanted changes to our Army now that they have announced indexes and said they have examined and made changes across each faction. 

my want is for sword brethren to get bodyguard and blade guard to get sword brethren key words. 

I don't entirely agree with this because Sword Brethren and Veterans are still distinct and shouldn't get the same keywords.  Sword Brethren are different from other Vets because of their deeds and the fact that they're chosen by a Marshall from a group of other veterans.  Afaik, Veterans still wear inverted colors and don't wear the Red Cross

Edited by Mike8404

On 4/7/2023 at 4:56 PM, Mike8404 said:

I don't entirely agree with this because Sword Brethren and Veterans are still distinct and shouldn't get the same keywords.  Sword Brethren are different from other Vets because of their deeds and the fact that they're chosen by a Marshall from a group of other veterans.  Afaik, Veterans still wear inverted colors and don't wear the Red Cross

I dont think so...   Sword Brethren are all veterans. There are just a few "veterans" which used to be not sword brethren in the old lore. And therefore I dont know if it was a mistake by GW or their will to put them into it.

I look forward to some jump pack primaris.

Seems like they indeed are mixing and matching firstborn/primaris so it might make for some cool possibilities with converting some vanguard veterans :)

Or some bikers. My army needs some speed :p

Ruleswise i hope we get some more melee punch.

Edited by Sir Clausel

• 2 weeks later...

It is with great pleasure that I announce my return to the boys in black! I have been involved in KT with my Knights Tempest (should really upload some pics) , and for 10th edition a crusade is needed! Loving the changes, and I can use drop pods again!!!

I hope the Crusader Squads allow flexibility like the old ones, so I can choose the amount of neophytes amd what power weapons I want.

23 hours ago, Sete said:

It is with great pleasure that I announce my return to the boys in black! I have been involved in KT with my Knights Tempest (should really upload some pics) , and for 10th edition a crusade is needed! Loving the changes, and I can use drop pods again!!!

I hope the Crusader Squads allow flexibility like the old ones, so I can choose the amount of neophytes amd what power weapons I want.

It looks like power weapons are being merged into a generic stat line so you can have all swords or a mix of whatever and its all the same thing. 

but from the looks of it power fists and thunder hammers are still going to have distinct stats from each other.

2 hours ago, Khornestar said:

I would kinda expect the power sword/axes to be merged into the power weapon profile we saw with the terminator sheet. Same with sword brethren. 

As well as power mace. I'm actually counting on it. Taking the opportunity to sprinkle some additional variation among my 25+ swordbrethren

Let's not stop at the power weapon options they had available recently. We have the opportunity to make any power weapon we want. Power Lance on a biker, anyone?