WarCom article.

Figured I'd make a thread just because that seems to be the trend now for these discussions. I'm sure the mods will merge it back if it's not appropriate. 

TLDR:

• Index cards will come with one Detachment.
  • The Detachment represents "a common fighting style for a particular faction".
  • Every Detachment must fit onto a double-page spread.
  • "Every faction gets an army ability regardless of which Detachment you’re using."
  • "Orks get Waaagh!, Tyranids get Synapse, the Astra Militarum get Orders, and the Space Marines get Oath of Moment."
  • Rerolls are "significantly less common."
  • Tyranid's Index Detachment is Invasion Fleet
  • It's gimmick is Hyper-adaptations, "which provides three different abilities you can choose from each battle."
  • Stratagems and Enhancements are also now part of your Detachment.
  • No Detachment will contain more than 6 Stratagems.
  • 12 Core Stratagems.
  • Enhancements replace the old Relics and Warlord Traits.
  • There are no Core Enhancements, each is tied to a Detachment. 
  • Reference to characters "leading units." Vague, but might imply attaching characters to a unit may be back?

iPdtBPMKoYIF4j9y.jpg

Expsl7OxvS0eKwJT.jpg

T3JlmNsgQ0sobQ6r.jpg

jZl28vOM42Mwjv8j.jpg

Edited by Lord Marshal

Just now, Lord Marshal said:

WarCom article.

Figured I'd make a thread just because that seems to be the trend now for these discussions. I'm sure the mods will merge it back if it's not appropriate. 

TLDR:

• Index cards will come with one Detachment.
  • The Detachment represents "a common fighting style for a particular faction".
  • Every Detachment must fit onto a double-page spread.
  • "Every faction gets an army ability regardless of which Detachment you’re using."
  • "Orks get Waaagh!, Tyranids get Synapse, the Astra Militarum get Orders, and the Space Marines get Oath of Moment."
  • Rerolls are "significantly less common."
  • Tyranid's Index Detachment is Invasion Fleet
  • It's gimmick is Hyper-adaptations, "which provides three different abilities you can choose from each battle."
  • Stratagems and Enhancements are also now part of your Detachment.
  • No Detachment will contain more than 6 Stratagems.
  • 12 Core Stratagems.
  • Enhancements replace the old Relics and Warlord Traits.
  • There are no Core Enhancements, each is tied to a Detachment. 
  • Reference to characters "leading units." Vague, but might imply attaching characters to a unit may be back?

iPdtBPMKoYIF4j9y.jpg

Expsl7OxvS0eKwJT.jpg

T3JlmNsgQ0sobQ6r.jpg

jZl28vOM42Mwjv8j.jpg

I’d have to say that this answered none of the questions people have been asking

3 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

I’d have to say that this answered none of the questions people have been asking

Thanks for being the voice of the entire community :rolleyes:.

It answered some (if not anywhere near all) of mine.

10 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

The Detachment represents "a common fighting style for a particular faction".

I think this points to subfactions being no different from the primary faction unless they are making use of a Detachment which represents a fighting style common to them an no others. Order of the Bloody Rose army of renown as an early 9th edition test?

I like how attaching strats to the Detachment makes the choice meaningful and reduces overall clutter. Hopefully there will be enough Detachments quickly after the initial "one for each faction on release day" for everyone's preferred play style.

4 minutes ago, KrakenBorn said:

Me too pretty much answered everything 

Looking forward to the marine codex dropping for some more detachments; I'm definitely going to miss my +1 to hit space wolf bonus though.

I think when Codex Space Wolves drops you get an entire, dedicated double page of rules, unique strats, etc to replace the standard Codex Space Marines one. You should also get dedicated SW detachment s that replace the SM version.

Or that’s how I read it anyway.

It answered a decent amount of mine.

For the bigger chapters, if they're to get things (which I think they will), I expect you'll have to essentially swap the rules, either by having detachments or by being separate factions.

I like that there's a clean line there on not stacking more and more rules. You want the fancier stuff? You have to exchange for it.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

2 minutes ago, Brother Captain Alberic said:

Feel I like I now need to know if Black Templars will count as a faction and get our own codex again. That or if one of the detachments will fit our combat style.

I think we will, too much went into producing the new kits and for some reason I feel positive for all the main divergent chapters being just fine and unique in this new edition. Let us crusade on brother!

Ya,I assume the more unique chapters:

Ba, da, SW, bt will get replacement army wide rules and replacement detachments.

Just will have to wait until the book/s arrive

I think index rules will settle any lingering issues about faction rules but for now I'm content with these and I'm happy about characters getting to lead units again (while I'm sure nids won't benefit too much, my Ultramarines on the other hand will)

1 minute ago, Triszin said:

Ya,I assume the more unique chapters:

Ba, da, SW, bt will get replacement army wide rules and replacement detachments.

Just will have to wait until the book/s arrive

Question is which poor faction will end up like world eaters and come out just before 11th.

I noticed the third Tyranid hyper adaptions references ‘Character units’ I wonder if that is just a way of referring to one model characters now, or a glimpse of how Characters will join units?

Edited by Zoatibix
Looking in wrong direction.

22 minutes ago, Brother Captain Alberic said:

Feel I like I now need to know if Black Templars will count as a faction and get our own codex again. That or if one of the detachments will fit our combat style.

I'm almost certain that when the book drops we're going to get a bespoke detachment that makes all the SM units Black Templars and locks us out of taking psychers, while giving us access to bespoke units. 

This, while not exactly as clear and frank as the big drop we got during the reveal, has given me a lot of insight. 6Critical hits as a mechanic, auto wounding as a mechanic. It isn't going away. That's a pretty big chunk of info on its own. But all of these things getting consolidated into the core rules and better defined is good news. I'm not as confident in the game's balance as I was initially, but I'm still intrigued to see where things land.

3 minutes ago, Zoatibix said:

I noticed the third Tyranid hyper adaptions references ‘Character units’ I wonder if that is just a way of referring to one model characters now, or a glimpse of how Characters will join units?

To me it sounds like if a character joins a unit it becomes a character unit, [Precision] would allow you to snipe the actual character when attacking so the other models can't absorb the wounds. That's my guess.

6 minutes ago, MasterDeath said:

Precision sounds like an ability to pick out Charakters. As in "the attacker assigns the wounds, not the Defender".

Precision in HH2.0 and older 40k meant on a certain roll you could allocate the hit/wound to a model of your choice. So you could "snipe" character or special weapon models out of a squad with a lucky roll. I think all sniper weapons, for instance, have this in HH2.0.

Which is just awesome. It'll certainly make snipers more interesting as a unit because their value won't just be potentially harming characters, but potentially removing certain powerful elements from a unit. Always felt snipers lived and died on whether or not they could realistically pressure a character. With how robust many of these characters are, it never felt like they could threaten without being too overbearing. Being able to snipe out that special weapon guy though...

Edited by Lemondish

16 minutes ago, Lemondish said:

I'm impressed thus far, but I certainly feel a tad silly feeling like "rerolls are significantly less common" was the best part of the whole thing for me.

You want to see lethality go down? This is one major way to do it, while also saving time.

Yeah, I'm also keen to see a big reduction in rerolls in general.

3 minutes ago, Lemondish said:

Precision in HH2.0 and older 40k meant on a certain roll you could allocate the hit/wound to a model of your choice. So you could "snipe" character or special weapon models out of a squad with a lucky roll. I think all sniper weapons, for instance, have this in HH2.0.

Which is just awesome. It'll certainly make snipers more interesting as a unit because their value won't just be potentially harming characters, but potentially removing certain powerful elements from a unit. Always felt snipers lived and died on whether or not they could realistically pressure a character. With how robust many of these characters are, it never felt like they could without being too overbearing.

It also largely removes the Jank created from the 8th/9th edition versions of "look out sir!".

Placing characters back into units also means MANY of the aura abilities that have been making the game so damn hard to balance can be strategically valued now.  8th/9th made it impossible to correctly value aura's because of how much they compounded with multiple units.