BA and Tenth Edition - Facts Discussion

Jolemai

@JolemaiThat's not confirmation, just reasonable speculation. 

while I'm inclined to agree that non-gravis primaris are probably going to be allowed in drop pods now, the article itself still doesn't mention them in any capacity.

2 hours ago, happyslugger said:

I just want to pop out and flame some opponents, is it too much to ask.  Hopefully the new flame weapon marines in the 10th ed starter box can help ease my pain.

You could get a squad of heavy flamer devastators... since it looks like flamestorm gauntlets look like they're going to be twin-linked instead of 2d6 shots, the devastators might actually be even more devastating out of the gate!

Edited by Paladin777

I'm not buying any new kits at all until 10th is dropped as I've got a couple years worth of mini's to paint already!(see the pile of shame thread for a full list!)

however, if tac squads are still a thing in tenth and they  desegregate FB and primaris, I'll get a couple squads for my 3rd Company project. 

Edited by Paladin777

15 hours ago, Paladin777 said:

You could get a squad of heavy flamer devastators... since it looks like flamestorm gauntlets look like they're going to be twin-linked instead of 2d6 shots, the devastators might actually be even more devastating out of the gate!

The big advantages of Aggressors are their improved durability and hitting power in melee. Dropping in at close range to the enemy means it is worth having a contingency for enemies that survive.

2 Dev squads can bring 8 heavy flamers between them. 5 Aggressors can bring 5 TL-flamers which are significantly less killy but back that up with TL-fists in melee.

True, but it's still very unlikely that you'll be able to put gravis in a drop pod. If that's the case, then it's kind of a moot point. 

Don't get me wrong, I do love me some aggressors! Though I am a little partial to the bolter variety, myself. 

Very true. We know some Primaris will be able to ride in Pods but we are definitely missing the fuller picture.

In previous editions, Terminators could ride in pods instead of teleporting. With the more reliable teleporting in 8th/9th editions, I assumed that not putting Terminators in pods was simply because they possessed a native DS mechanic. Gravis units on the other hand do not so I am hopeful that they might be allowed in Pods. If not, Hellblasters might be another good choice. I wonder if their Plasma Incinerator profiles will get squashed together like Intercessor Bolt rifles.

I wonder if free strategic reserves will stick around. If it does, I doubt Pods make much of a splash, as paying points to show up anywhere compared to just walking onto the board for free is a hard sell. That and there aren't that many units that don't have native deepstrike that would actually care. Any melee unit you'd much rather have a land raider for the assault ramp, and the only Primaris unit that has enough short-ranged firepower that isn't in Gravis armor that would be worth dropping in someones face are Hellblasters. Aggressors would like it, but I doubt they let Gravis units in pods, just like they probably aren't going to fit in Rhinos/Razorbacks.

10 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Hellblasters might be another good choice. I wonder if their Plasma Incinerator profiles will get squashed together like Intercessor Bolt rifles.

Thats the question I hope gets answered in a future leak! ... I was trying to think how Hellblasters would get the Bolt rifle treatment? .. my painted ten man Hellblaster squad all have the assault variants, those 3 shots were too hard to pass up! They also fit our chapter "playstyle" the best.

Edited by Eilio Tiberius

I think assault and rapid fire ones will become a unique weapon. The omly change between this two is a magazin and a laser sight (or something like this) 
But the heavy plasma of the hellblaster is to different to be melt with the other two.

But if the assault/rapid fire one has the  “assault” rule in the 10th, I think we could continue to use it in the same way as the previous assault variant.

For the primaris in drop pod, the other units that might be interesting are the new  marines with flamethrowers or the new veterans with combi-weapon.

Yeah I’m hoping the heavy stays separate. I didn’t actually like the models very much compared to assault, if they all get merged they’ll be weaker and I won’t like how they look, which is a shame as I was just mid way through basing mine finally 

Overall I'm encouraged by 10th.  Some of the changes will help the BA play style.  Rapid Ingress, being able to deep strike a unit after the opponents movement turn then move and charge in your own makes a squad of Sanguinary Guard  or JP Death Company in reserves terrifying.  Having Leaders in squads also means less chance of a character failing their charge roll. Leaders appear to be dedicated to the squad they are in but for the most part characters (leaders) like Sanguinary Ancients and Lemartes never left their squads anyway. I don't see a lot of down side to that as BA rely on rolling charge range more than most lists.  Finally Land Raiders may be relevant regaining assault ramp.  Even a cheap DC squad would be great to have around in one.  Question is will Storm Ravens gain assault ramp too?

Seems likely. Here's to hoping that vehicle mounted twin-weapons are absolutely baller to make up for it, or at least the anti-tank ones. As was stated earlier, having a single shot on things like lascannon dreadnaughts would be rough. 

Edited by Paladin777

46 minutes ago, Paladin777 said:

Seems likely. Here's to hoping that vehicle mounted twin-weapons are absolutely baller to make up for it, or at least the anti-tank ones. As was stated earlier, having a single shot on things like lascannon dreadnaughts would be rough. 

Yeah. I'm worried about my Gladiator Reaper!

4 hours ago, Eilio Tiberius said:

Yeah. I'm worried about my Gladiator Reaper!

It will definitely not fire 24 shots with the turret gun anymore. But if it acquired "twin-linked"(rerolls all wounds) and "devastating"(wound roll of 6 become MW) rules, it won't lose much power, and even be better against targets with very high T.

Glanced at the Leviathan box this morning. They revealed stats on that 'hellfire' redemptor, and the stats on the lascannon make me feel a lot better about twin linked. 

Its lascannons are S12, two shots, -3 AP, damage d6+1. Solid enough for me, and the two shots are what really make me sigh in relief. 

The rest of the box looks pretty cool, but I was surprised to see sternguard in there!

To add to the Dreadnought (and Screamer-Killer too), you lose out on the -1D effect. This is a pretty big hit for Dreadnoughts but if that rule's gone off everyone, it's probably for the best since I've found it shuts down so many D2 weapons (which my army has a lot of) instantly. Those lascannons are gonna sting, easily able to 3+ most weaker vehicles/monsters and pop them pretty easily, especially with a re-roll to hit while it's at high health. 

Twin-linked I believe will come up when you have two of a weapon, not necessarily for a gun that has two barrels. I was going to bring that up earlier, but I was waiting for someone else to get there instead of attempting to deal with it before it all calmed down a bit.

So I'd predict a Predator for instance would have one big (Godhammer)? Lascannon with two shots, then one Lasconnon (Twin-linked) to represent the sponsons.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion