Imperialis Militia Army List

Had a good read through and it actually feels pretty good, the system still hates tanks and artillery ofc but lots of new options and the core infantry hordes seems fun.

Jump pack recon squads added too! 

They ended up adding options instead of taking them away...I'd count that as a definite win. There's more provenances and they offer the same level of customization as they did in 1.0, if not more.

I mean, you can put your Force Commander on a horse and run an all-cavalry army. Imagine it!

Other than the buzz feed quality writing on warcom im ecstatic about having rules finally. Imo, the prices GW wants people to pay for their human infantry boxes will probably put some off, wargames atlantic, station forge and  "That Evil One" have some excellent options that again IMO fit the scale and aesthetics or 30k a little better 

16 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

I like it. It's enough to tempt me towards the Age of Darkness.

Also: No sponsons on the LRBT? Interesting.

It's been a thing since the initial list for solar aux, sponsons are new technology in 30k heh

While I totally appreciate their efforts to move away from Fearless hordes I think they maybe over-corrected in making Levy units under a Ruthless Tyrant (who can execute people to keep units in the fight) more likely to break and explode en-masse XD

((The Warlord's Fear (1) aura affects drops nearby Levies' Leadership but the Expendable rule causes them to be removed before the Warlord Trait could prevent them from fleeing))

Edited by Commander Dawnstar

I really like that it's the full list, with most of the provenance freedom that defined the OG one. 

I do think Andy is out of touch in the article. You haven't been able to spam fearless since the FAQ in 2019, when it changed them to stubborn ld 6. You could get an ungodly amount of medusa emplacements back then, but now you can get an ungodly amount of lascannons. You can do something like 38 las and 18 laser destroyers in 2500.

I like all the stuff they added in, I understand why they cut apart some of the provenances as some were just auto-takes but man I wish they had upped the limit to 3 as I'm now going to have to re-think the militia list(s) I had planned. I feel worse for anyone who has a militia army and those splits have caused them headaches.

FINALLY! The only 30k army I have is back.

It stings that the fire support squad lost the option for heavy flamers. That was my favorite unit in the army. Oh well, guess I'll split 'em up and use them as regular flamers.

Edited by Khornestar

25 minutes ago, SvenIronhand said:

What would you guys suggest for Kinfolk Helots? Hearthkyn or Einherjar from WGA?

Necromunda Squats I think would work better than Hearthkyn, just because they look a bit 'lower tech' than Hearthkyn and callback to ye olde 'Imperial Squat' designs.

Otherwise, Einherjar are going to be a lot less painful on your wallet and allow you to convert things like crewmen without breaking the bank.

Edited by Lord Marshal

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/necromunda-ironhead-squat-prospectors-2022

Squat prospectors seem to be a lot closer to the wargear basic militia use, but they have such varied weaponry in the kit that getting an entire blob of 20 with the correct gun would be a nightmare. Those Einherjar could work too. Hearthkyn look too high-tech to field with one trait (you need the second for Kinfolk)- I guess warrior elite might work for boltguns and carapace armored grenadiers, but boltguns and armor that looks fancier than what Astartes are carrying is just going to look silly on a "militia"

31 minutes ago, SvenIronhand said:

What would you guys suggest for Kinfolk Helots? Hearthkyn or Einherjar from WGA?

Edited by Squark

I was certainly planning a Squat army using Kharadon during the dark days, i think itll still work just fine though i was aiming for melee/pistol grenadiers in arcus' (Made out of the frigates) and Malcadors built out of the bigger ships. :)  

There are some fantastic options and I am at a bit of a loss as to where to start. As a converter this is amazing, they really nailed the thematic aspect of army building here and opened up the doors for creativity. Not only am I excited to start on stuff myself I really can't wait to see what others come up with.

I do think it is a shame that a few more 40k plastic kits - Chimera, Basilisk, Hellhound - weren't included. I think they are all canonically pre-Heresy appropriate. But that is a very minor gripe.

Really excited and intrigued by the list, now I've had a proper look at it. Great to see a broader range of Provenances and units included, and I can't wait to see what people come up with. My own dilemma is whether to dig out the 30 - 40  worth of old Cadian plastics that I had earmarked for a Militia army before the new kit was released, and hope I can source more of the older ones to fill out the army, or bite the bullet and start again entirely based on the new models.

Or maybe I'll do a whole Squat...I mean Helot...army.