How do you feel about the Militia PDF, and has it inspired any new list ideas?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/18/the-imperialis-militia-joins-the-horus-heresy-in-a-new-exemplary-battles-download/

Personally I have a few ideas kicking around, but so much on my plate with my Dark Angels and Sons of Horus, and life in general, that my desire to run a massive horde army of beastmen with volkite will have to wait for now. 

The Malcador has a Vanquisher Cannon option too; does this mean a plastic Malcador in the future?

Edited by Marshal Mittens

17 minutes ago, Marshal Mittens said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/18/the-imperialis-militia-joins-the-horus-heresy-in-a-new-exemplary-battles-download/

Personally I have a few ideas kicking around, but so much on my plate with my Dark Angels and Sons of Horus, and life in general, that my desire to run a massive horde army of beastmen with volkite will have to wait for now. 

The Malcador has a Vanquisher Cannon option too; does this mean a plastic Malcador in the future?

I'd say no.

But I really love this new army list. Had much fun reading this and we will see great armies popping up. Thing is, I couldn't build and paint 300+ infantry men so I have to wait and see what others will create.

I think this is a super fun addition to the game. It seems like it is best suited to being an allied force or allying some other force into it. 
I definitely am going to start plotting ways to put together an orlock-based force in Cargo 8s with dirtbikes as roughriders!

Yes, I pretty much can run my 40k all infantry army with a load of extra units. I think the list I came up with was 225 infantry, 14 lascannons, 2 multi-meltas, and 9 various artillery type pieces. Then I did a quick core allied list with essentially 9 squads of infantry and a couple sentinels backing up a Night Lords deep strike list. Im sure I could do something similar with my Dark Angels drop pod assault. I run out of space as it is with my Iron Fire list so I dont think they add much to it. 

I am currently reworking my idea from 1.0, which was Survivors of the Dark Age and Warrior Elite, using Van Saar but trimmed down for power armoured grenadiers, but stuck between Warrior Elite and Legacy of the Great Crusade or Warrior Elite and Survivors of the Dark Age. The first I'd have a lot of grenadiers backed up by some tanks and sentinels (want to get some of the gladiator tanks and trim them back and use as 'grav-russes') the second I'd have a more mechanised grenadier force with some trimmed back repulsors with the proteus ramp at the front.

But with the Milita sub unit I can no longer use them to 'count-as' the Imperial Army which you could in 1.0, unless they'll do an Imperial Army list I'm kinda stuck really.

I might be tempted to run Militia rather than Anathema at the event im doing in September, i might finally be able to field all my painted militia! And i can blend in my Rough Rider company! Horde armies are bloody exhausting over a weekend though! 

I'm meanwhile looking at a tank heavy list, and weighing up whether the Militia with Industrial Stronghold or the Solar Aux with Armour Cohort would be more interesting / fun to build. I'm leaning Militia, because I want to use Guard infantry models rather than selling my organs for Auxilia kits. But the 'Third Line' rule on vehicles looks quite dicey, even if it is thematic. 

1 hour ago, Astartes Consul said:

I'm meanwhile looking at a tank heavy list, and weighing up whether the Militia with Industrial Stronghold or the Solar Aux with Armour Cohort would be more interesting / fun to build. I'm leaning Militia, because I want to use Guard infantry models rather than selling my organs for Auxilia kits. But the 'Third Line' rule on vehicles looks quite dicey, even if it is thematic. 

I think it really depends on what you're bringing. If you're spamming Vanquishers alone like most people, the Third Line rule hurts a lot less because people have to actually reach you. Whereas if you're wanting to run things like Executioners or just any of the other tanks, you're probably better off with SA.

I kind of like the idea of a militia group to go with my Word Bearers. Chaosing up some of those new Guard models sounds fun, add some Colchisian runes and some of that sweet Gal Vorbak red (or maybe Word Bearers red for the militia, brighten it up some) in there and we're in business.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

4 hours ago, Hfran Morkai said:

I'd have jumped in if Chimeras and Valkyries were options and you could build a Chimera based force.

As someone who own multiple Vulture and six or so Valkyries/Vendetta and a dozen or so chimera I agree completely. Even with my love of Dark Angels since 2nd edition I've been Guard man for decades. 

I get that some people may think I want to play Guard in 30K, and that's kind of the case.

I'd love to build a mechanised company in Chimeras, maybe a couple of Cargo 8s and then some "Storm troopers" (using the beautiful Kasrkin) in Valkyries.

Alas, not to be at the moment.

3 hours ago, Hfran Morkai said:

I get that some people may think I want to play Guard in 30K, and that's kind of the case.

I'd love to build a mechanised company in Chimeras, maybe a couple of Cargo 8s and then some "Storm troopers" (using the beautiful Kasrkin) in Valkyries.

Alas, not to be at the moment.

I have a friend who will allow me to use the 7th edition IG codex If I really want to play guard. It fit better last edition but I have so many vehicles and troops and more troops that jtherwise won't see play. I'd prefer to have new rules for them but beggers and choosers. I build with the new rules and keep fingers crossed that we'll get something.

1 hour ago, SlickSamos said:

The lack of DTs is a concern - I thought they should have access to Rhinos as well as Chimaeras etc...?

They do have access to Rhinos - you just need to take the 'Survivors of the Dark Age' provenance. 

Edited by stretch_135

I might run them in the future, as an allied detachment. I am 1 of 3 players that play often against each other, and we all wanted to do some sort of thematic allied choice. The TS player wants to do daemons, the IW player wants to run mechanicum, and my SL will run alongside Militia

A cheap HQ and troop for Moebius might work out! The armies look kind of fun, but I have no time to actually build a force of these. I'd probably go with anvient weapons and the slow and purposeful one and use a mash up of genestealers and admech, something I've always wanted to do.  

On 4/20/2023 at 5:42 AM, Hfran Morkai said:

I'd have jumped in if Chimeras and Valkyries were options and you could build a Chimera based force.

I'd have jumped in there if there were rules for bretonians and the Commandos at Normandy, but those things don't actually exist during the HH period either. 

1 hour ago, Stitch5000 said:

I'd have jumped in there if there were rules for bretonians and the Commandos at Normandy, but those things don't actually exist during the HH period either. 

Vehicles like the Chimera or even the Taurox already existed during the GC/HH. Don't confuse FW gatekeeping the game for their own range of models with the actual fluff.