4 hours ago, Bloody Legionnaire said:

Heh?

Land Raiders can transport legacy marines and Primaris.. by your logic, GW must want people buying land raiders over repulsor?

I’m sorry this reasoning is absolutely preposterous…

If GW want to sell Repulsor they could just give it better rules than Land Raider.

2 hours ago, Bradeh said:

I get your point but I would argue that the dedicated transports are a bit different. Impulsors have never been popular even when compared with Repulsors, if GW allowed Rhinos to take Primaris what would the sales of the Impulsor be like? I bet they would be really poor.

From what I've heard (and, I think, if you look at what's considered overpowered at any given time), GW doesn't really tend to tweak rules for sales boosts. What sells just doesn't seem to have a lot of relationship to its in-game power, and most customers just don't seem to be that tuned into the metagame.

2 hours ago, Bradeh said:

I get your point but I would argue that the dedicated transports are a bit different. Impulsors have never been popular even when compared with Repulsors, if GW allowed Rhinos to take Primaris what would the sales of the Impulsor be like? I bet they would be really poor. I don't think the Repulsor suffers from that, Land Raider is one of the most iconic models in the game but people do seem like the Repulsor too. That is just from what I've seen, what other explanation would they have for limited them again?

That’s not really true tho, is it..?

Impulsors were very popular when they had a 4++ and had the fly keywords. What the Impulsor had going against it were the wonky rules, the lack of firepower, and the point cost. What the Rhino had going for it was pretty much being cheap.. that being said, it’s not like Mech or Rhino rush was ever *really * popular 8th-9th anyways. 

I don’t believe Rhinos and Razorbacks would cannibalize the market away from Impulsors simply because MkX marines can ride in them. The Impulsors popularity is going to depend on what the rules are like for it.

As an example, if Impulsors maintain their “assault vehicle” rule and it, like the land raider, allows an embarked unit to assault from it after it has moved, that would make it an interesting choice considerably different from the Rhino/Razor.

Unfortunately we are once again basing this “unit X doesn’t get taken enough,” conundrum on what’s happening in the competitive world, and it’s a damn shame.

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire
Additional point

15 hours ago, Lord Nord said:

So on the longshot chance that someone actually wanted to put Inceptors in a Repulsor...

Since they have both the GRAVIS and JUMP PACK keywords, does each model take up two, three, or four slots?

considering gravis and jump pack are BOTH "counts as two", I would assume they count as two. I wouldn't expect them to stack (i.e. count as four), seeing as A) it says "counts as two" and not "counts as double", and B) just based on the physical size of the models, it doesn't make sense to count them as bigger than a centurion.

On a more general note, with the lifting of the primaris / not primaris keyword restrictions I'm predicting the following will be the case:

1. terminators and gravis will probably be treated the same for transport restriction purposes, with the possible exception of drop pods. i.e. if a transport could previously carry one, it can now carry the other too. Again drop pods may be an exception to this due to terminator teleporting.

2. centurions probably still won't be able to use drop pods.

3. stormravens probably still won't be able to carry redemptors due to wound count restriction.

4. rhinos, razorbacks, and impulsors will probably now be able to carry any firstborn or primaris models as long as they don't have a keyword making them count as more than one model for transport purposes.

Edited by sal of manders

2 hours ago, BrainFireBob said:

Or, in-game acknowledging Primaris as bigger, capacities differ- the Impulsor taking 10 normal marines and the rhino 6 primaris, something like that

Are they really that much bigger though? And that can be retconned anyways (and should be).

I'd like to think that the Impulsor at least is in scale with primaris minis, since there are ports in the seating area that align with their power packs. Which imo makes it worse that no other transports are in scale.

Then again, If Rhinos were closer to Land Raider size to accurately accept Marines without sardining we would probably need 6' by 5' gaming tables.

1 hour ago, Spyros said:

I guess the points cost will increase.

It's fun to speculate about the relative power of all this stuff but ultimately the question isn't whether it's good, but whether it's good for its points cost.

I've got a couple of Storm Ravens and land raiders that could definitely see use with my Crimson Fists now. It looks like putting a bunch of Bladeguard in a Land Raider might be fun, for example. I guess maybe even my AoD Spartan, which my 30k Raven Guard have no particular use for, could end up getting a coat of dark blue paint - if it gets rules. But from this partial information we just don't know, unfortunately.

What purpose do transports serve when you start the game on top of each other?

If I can walk to the middle of the board turn 1, why get in a Rhino?

The reduction in play size continues to be my most lamented change in recent editions. The game is more lethal partly because everything is in range turn 1.

I love my transports, tracked and grav, but don't see the point.

Damn, OK, now I'm excited again for this new edition. All the rules and design direction seems great so far and this new transport rules have opened a lot of possibilities for my Templars, a Crusader squad in a Pod is an amazing idea. I'm absolutely loving all the life their putting into a bunch of models that haven't seen the table in too long.

5 minutes ago, redmapa said:

Damn, OK, now I'm excited again for this new edition. All the rules and design direction seems great so far and this new transport rules have opened a lot of possibilities for my Templars, a Crusader squad in a Pod is an amazing idea. I'm absolutely loving all the life their putting into a bunch of models that haven't seen the table in too long.

I haven’t been excited about playing for years now, but 10th sounds like good fun

8 minutes ago, redmapa said:

I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on getting some pods for Crusader squads... not so sure they'll be allowed in them, maybe pragmatic but I can see it being a no! 

1 minute ago, danodan123 said:

I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on getting some pods for Crusader squads... not so sure they'll be allowed in them, maybe pragmatic but I can see it being a no! 

I imagine they should be ok. That would be a very strange limitation placed upon them if not.

14 minutes ago, mel_danes said:

What purpose do transports serve when you start the game on top of each other?

If I can walk to the middle of the board turn 1, why get in a Rhino?

Protection from small-arms fire potentially. A Rhino is just 7 points per wound with T7 (T9 in 10th).

The middle of the board is not all there is. Some Objectives require going further. Although I take your point that the general lethality of 9th meant it was often more effective to kill the enemy than play for Primaries too much.

You don't always want to smash headlong into the enemy's front lines. Some Transports like skimmers and drop pods offer the opportunity to attack your opponent's backfield units.

27 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

Those Tacticus Marines are accompanied by a Librarian in Terminator armour - that is just as interesting.

At least it suggests the drop pod is moving up to a capacity of 12 (presumably the Librarian stood awkwardly between to marines in their harnesses) whether or not he has joined the squad as a leader will be interesting to see.