Take cover, brother.

TLDR

2A4EoSQ0iP83dFGj.jpg

Edited by Lord Marshal

Are the craters new models? Or the old ones they used to sell? Either way, if they're bringing these back, they're making a welcome return - the GW terrain range has missed basic/simple craters for a few years now :smile:

5 minutes ago, firestorm40k said:

Are the craters new models? Or the old ones they used to sell? Either way, if they're bringing these back, they're making a welcome return - the GW terrain range has missed basic/simple craters for a few years now :smile:

Are from the 6th or 7th edition, second gen of crates, can be splitted in two half

Blast Apart Your Battlefield With Warhammer 40k Crater Terrain – OnTableTop  – Home of Beasts of War

4 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Per the article, Ruins are also 'Into/Out of but not Through'. That makes a nice change from "I can see your antenna through this hole" arguments. 

Looking forward to this. Whenever my opponent wants my guys to conga line up to shoot through a window, I die a little inside.

The plunging fire seems like an OK rule, though surprised they didn't also give it to hills/sealed terrain

Edit: it's a bit difficult to judge how good these rules work without the rules for visible/fully visible

Edited by Doctor Perils

11 minutes ago, Doctor Perils said:

The plunging fire seems like an OK rule, though surprised they didn't also give it to hills/sealed terrain

I would assume it's a mechanics/play issue. If people want deadlier games, they can use more (or counts-as more) Ruins, but if they don't then they can use less Ruins (or counts-as their Ruins as Hills with Barricades).

So basically obscuring buffed (now every ruin is obscuring), los a little bit simples (if is like BA you need only to take the los from above to check if you can see every part of the base), anyone who isn't big boy (towering) or aircraft can get cover.

No more dense.

Simpler no but easier.

Just I don't like the fact the whole squad get cover if one model isn't fully visible (aka just part of the model obscured by the footprint of a ruin) 

1 minute ago, Handsome Fred said:

So basically obscuring buffed (now every ruin is obscuring), los a little bit simples (if is like BA you need only to take the los from above to check if you can see every part of the base), anyone who isn't big boy (towering) or aircraft can get cover.

No more dense.

Simpler no but easier.

Just I don't like the fact the whole squad get cover if one model isn't fully visible (aka just part of the model obscured by the footprint of a ruin) 

It appears to be on a model by model basis

Seems simple enough without being too cut down. 9E had some pretty in-depth terrain rules, which was ridiculous in practice assigning a bunch of traits to things. Most everything can be summed up by these categories.

This I think I can remember the entire terrain type rules off the top of my head, which is good.

18 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

God, some of those explanations are truly awful for what amounts to extremely basic rules.

Yeah, that's plagued them for a while. They sometimes aren't very good at writing cohesive rules.

Terrain rules seem fine. Simpler, which I think will benefit the game. I'm not opposed to more types of terrain with different benefits/drawbacks than 10th has, but I didn't enjoy trying to remember which type of terrain had which categories & traits in 9th. 

Terrain is a head ache in every edition.   Glad they're taking another stab at it.  Plunging fire seems like a good rule to give incentive for placing models 2 stories up.  Not sure I understand the need to nerf marine armor in cover, but perhaps it's to keep vehicle saves manageable at range? 

Looks fun.