Moving from 3k to 3.5k for organized play.

I think it's important to differentiate "tournaments" and "events" and never the twain shall meet and all that :laugh: but to refer to the question, 3k feels like the "sweet spot" for HH now. There's room enough to include cool stuff, but enough constraint that some decisions have to be made. When you start dipping below 2500pts, especially for anything organised, it inherently fosters an attitude of "well I don't want to get battered, what's good?" and then that just continues on until the math-hammer element takes over and then optimising. 3500 on the other hand loses the trade off element which imo should always be there - if it's a free for all with all the big toys and as much cool :cuss as possible, that's what apoc is for. Tme wise, so long as the board isn't 3 bits of foam providing non existent blocking, then 2-3 hours is the usual duration for me, and that's playing as an army that has zero scoring units and exists to kill only.

I mean really all 3.5k does is allow you to bring a LoW or a Primarch much easier, and usually those units are restricted to one or the other. Now it allows you to bring a fairly impressive amount of militia allies if you wish.

I've just made a habit of building a 2-2.5k list then a 3-3.5k list and it's really just adding a typhon and another Apothecary for 3,500.

Usually by 3k depending on your RoW most of your slots are already full. Especially with the very popular Rites.

In my experience, adding more points to a game tends to add time because players can start breaking out units they don't use very often, and as such might have to look up rules for them because they don't have them memorized like they do their staple units they use a lot. 

I know at 3500 I'll be able to bring my Shadowsword if I want, and I'm going to have to look up the rules for it because I haven't been able to use it yet. Unlike my Achilles that I use pretty frequently. 

10 hours ago, Claws and Effect said:

In my experience, adding more points to a game tends to add time because players can start breaking out units they don't use very often, and as such might have to look up rules for them because they don't have them memorized like they do their staple units they use a lot. 

I know at 3500 I'll be able to bring my Shadowsword if I want, and I'm going to have to look up the rules for it because I haven't been able to use it yet. Unlike my Achilles that I use pretty frequently. 

I strongly advice against looking up the rules of the Stormsword. You only get upset. ;)

On 5/12/2023 at 8:30 PM, Claws and Effect said:

That's how I think about it. LOW Tanks are awesome. Sometimes it's more fun to take those things than Primarchs etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2023 at 7:18 AM, Gorgoff said:

I strongly advice against looking up the rules of the Stormsword. You only get upset. ;)

Oh, I have. And I was. 

I have an Apocalypse event coming up this coming Sunday that it will get busted out for. It's the finale of the Heresy event at the Bugeater GT I attend every year. I'm using it because I have nothing else a Titan isn't just going to laugh at, and I know one of the Traitor players has a Nemesis Warbringer that's going to walk. 

• 2 weeks later...