My Dark Angels green armor recipe

As someone who paints Dark Angels since 2007 (really is over half of my life) I made a lot of mistakes and experiments and I always loved the 4th edition dark angels army inside the main rolebook.
I'm happy to say this painting scheme nails the tone of that army with a fast aproch that I can consistent replicate and I can complete a 10 men squad in 2 evenings! So here we have the 6 steps:

1. Prime balck the model.
2. zenthal white coat.
3. Highlight all the model.
4. Cover all with a Ork Flesh contrst,
one undiluted coat if you are confident or two diluted coats (2:1).
5. Pinwash all with a super thin black oil, with a small synthetic brush, only in the recesses
6. Final hightlight with Skarsnik Green or equivalent.

I have to say thanks to 2 awsome artist who inspired me to find this tecniques, first El Miniaturista who is a guru of those black and white airbushed marins, second JH Miniatures who made enought contrast tutorial to fill my youtube history.
If you want consider to check out my other pieces on insta https://www.instagram.com/handsomefred.paints/

Now the pics!
P7mJEau.png
MuCYxHP.png
AIvmV2J.png
QxAoizV.png
SoTmgk2.png
Gn12nCS.png
Sdiks9r.png
RCNQTTS.png

I hope you find this little guide useful and if you like I'll do some more in the future!
Fred.

6 hours ago, Cyrox said:

Nice tutorial! 

When using the Ork Flesh Contrast through the airbrush, you mention undiluted so is it going through the airbrush neat?

Yes airbush, due the awesome cover of the contrast, if you don't diluite it there is the risk to cover too much the white base, so 2 thinned layers are better for not experienced painters 

Nice, I always liked that scheme (shade of green) the best, (well my best Dark Angels memories are with this colour scheme), happy to see there's a relatively quick contrast method that will replicate that old look :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting this.

I guess if you don't have an Airbrush you can still use black and white rattle cans to get a similar Zenithal effect... and im sure brushing on a diluted Ork Flesh would work as well..   

Cheers, M.

If you don't have an airbrush (even a cheap one) it could be done without with some tweak, instead the white ink you can do a drybrush of white (not too heavy) from above and then the highlighting.

The hard part will be the green contrast, due the wide surfaces of the marines armor you have to do it really careful and a 50-50 of thinned contrast will work better.

I have to try it!