The wait has ruined my hype

The last few days it seems like GW hasn’t put out anything new/interesting about 10th and feeling like we’re just being left to stew until warhammer fest comes around.

maybe my perception of time has been skewed and it seems like it’s been longer than it has, but since the terrain reveals have they put out any new teases or reveals aside from spoilers for a book I’m excited to read but don’t have yet? How long has it been since the terrain rules? 1 week? 72 years? 4 days?

all I know is I’m not excited at all any more and more just bummed.

Puts down walking cane, "back in mt day......" we had to wait for the White Dwarf each month to get any news of anything, a few days? We're spoiled for information these days. Instead of thinking "I can't believe they're making us wait" try thinking "I can't wait for Saturday"

Edited by Grotsmasha

HAHA i agree, i remember waiting each Month for WD... and poring over the news inside or getting a snippet of what next month would teasingly reveal... 

Not to down play kids/players today but yeah it seems if you don't hear anything for a week then there's a buzz of what the ?!?...:laugh: . the introduction of the net and instant access has made people less patient due to instantly getting information on things...

I do lament that GW does hold off sometimes and yes it feels like forever, but as Grotsmasha said... it's a couple days away now !! 

M.  

Not having rules information for a week isn't going to mean much in the end.

There's going to be people playing it in like two days, there's going to be a flood of information when that happens.

I've been trying to stay off the hype train and focus on getting my Dark Angels ready for 10th, or at least give me a broader force so that no matter what is good I can shift things around to have options.

That said I was surprised we didn't see any more stuff this week, but I get that GW wants to make the big reveal on Saturday.

21 minutes ago, Warden-Paints said:

I do feel like they start the hype train too early. It feels badly planned this time, the model reveals seem random. "Here, have a Librarian and a Lieutenant, that will keep you going."

I'm still excited :cuss: though, don't get me wrong :laugh:

If it was a full unit a week alternating through all the units in the box I'd be all for them teasing stuff that way, but it feels we'll see the whole box this weekend so that's kind of pointless.

1 hour ago, Grotsmasha said:

Puts down walking cane, "back in mt day......" we had to wait for the White Dwarf each month to get any news of anything, a few days? We're spoiled for information these days. Instead of thinking "I can't believe they're making us wait" try thinking "I can't wait for Saturday"

yeah i can't wait...that's literally the problem...

35 minutes ago, Warden-Paints said:

I do feel like they start the hype train too early. It feels badly planned this time, the model reveals seem random. "Here, have a Librarian and a Lieutenant, that will keep you going."

I'm still excited :cuss: though, don't get me wrong :laugh:

they didn't start too early, there's plenty of small things they could have given us extra glimpses of, like today could have had a partial datacard for tau fire warriors or DE warriors, or something.

just feels like we had an IV drip that was going nice and steady and was then suddenly turned off on us.

Hype retention or not, 10th Edition 40K comes out in like June/July.  It might be time to check some expectations all around, Frater.  If anything, what GW has been feeding onto WHC seems like too much info - they should have limited the 10th Edition stuff to one article a week for the next two months, and then slam stuff down on us in like the last two weeks of run up to sales.  Let the folks that get some play in at Warhammer Fest do the majority of the leg work on sharing info, etc.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

I've barely kept up with the hype train. My pile of shame is keeping me busy enough that am not waiting for news, though new information is welcome. I hope you can find something to take your mind off the new edition for a few months. I am eagerly awaiting new models for the Tyranids and I don't even collect them! :laugh:

I know the frustration of wanting to know stuff now. But realistically speaking, the urge to know more about 10th is only really going to be satisfied by the release of 10th. Unless one finds it enjoyable to read tidbits of info and snapshots of minis as - and when - they appear, I suggest just chekcing out of the infostream about 10th and concentrating on other projects in the meanwhile. I tend to think of it as waiting for christmas when I was a kid - there's nothing anyone can do to hasten its arrival, so it's better not to spend too much energy on it.

Personally, as I've been checked out of 40k altogether for most of 8th and the entirety of 9th, I'm looking forward to 10th and find it easy enough to just take a peek at WHC once in a while. But if I was aching for new information, I would definitely try to wean myself off following it altogether until, say the beginning of june or so.

I’ll be honest it’s probably good we’re left in the dark a bit, leaks and such are cool and all but I love the speculation and content that’s created during this period and to see what ideas people come up with etc and then having a comparison and seeing where they hit and miss.

if we had more information guarantee people would start jumping on the hate train immediately and limit the amount of content produced.

Even if the games are tightly controlled with no phones etc, people will still remember how they played. With lots of people turning up, we would get a petty good idea of the ruleset, even if there are no photos.

Unless the Inquisition mind-wipe everyone after their games of course. :biggrin:

It was always likely that there would be a slowdown ahead of the full reveal at WarhammerFest and it makes sense from their perspective - the full 10th Ed is a big draw to the event and if they blow that too early online, it'll likely lead to a bit of a "well, was that it?" at the event which will be far, far worse for them. It's also worth remembering that GW have a bit of a lead time on products and a sadly limited production capacity - there's a fine line between showing too much, too soon and then having a long gap before release.

Finally, in terms of the wait and the slowdown - all I can say is I was there for the Great Elden Ring Drought of having a cinematic trailer and then nothing for nearly 2 years, then a bit more and now a year after release we've had a single tweet about DLC so... yeah, GW's brief pause before the well trailed full reveal at WarhammerFest is relatively mild by comparison! 

1 hour ago, Joe said:

They'll likely be the same as they were at the Heresy Open Day; three of four pages of basic introduction rules, with a few sheets for units.

They weren't fussed with us taking pictures on the day.

To be fair they said the core rules are only supposed to be a few pages so 4 pages of rules might be the whole damn thing.

The problem GW consistently has is underdelivering at previews. So the wait sucks until there is something awesome shown off, but we know from prior experience we will get one or two awesome reveals and then a bunch of stuff no one wanted or like another round of talking about Siege of Cthonia. 

I think GW are their own worst enemy in this regard. They established a precedent of regular articles detailing changes to the rules then, with lots of questions still unanswered, just stopped. If they’d put out a post at the end of last week just saying there’ll be no new info about 10th dropped until Warhammer fest to keep it a surprise then I think people wouldn’t mind. Instead they put out what are blatantly filler articles like the 1st company one and people get a bit irked because the precedent was for informative articles detailing the changes.

Even so though, it’s not as bad as how much the wait killed any enthusiasm I had for Shadowspear by the time it released, that was absurd. This is just a bit annoying by comparison.

15 minutes ago, MARK0SIAN said:

I think GW are their own worst enemy in this regard. They established a precedent of regular articles detailing changes to the rules then, with lots of questions still unanswered, just stopped. If they’d put out a post at the end of last week just saying there’ll be no new info about 10th dropped until Warhammer fest to keep it a surprise then I think people wouldn’t mind. Instead they put out what are blatantly filler articles like the 1st company one and people get a bit irked because the precedent was for informative articles detailing the changes.

Even so though, it’s not as bad as how much the wait killed any enthusiasm I had for Shadowspear by the time it released, that was absurd. This is just a bit annoying by comparison.

Right? 
like a single sentence at the end of the terrain article probably could have gone a long way to preventing this sort of feeling in people.

I’m just a bitter old man so I’d probably still be annoyed and angry regardless.