Faction Focus: Necrons

Joe

Finally, an article that didn't have any rerolls. Rerolls might be more common in elite armies and less common/absent from normal/horde armies.

The Void Dragon having to select which melee weapon profile to use tells me that Guilliman and Abaddon are truly blenders in combat, as it looks to confirm that they can use both melee profiles.

EDIT: Others made a good argument against what I struck out, I didn't look close enough.

Edited by arnesh88

6 minutes ago, arnesh88 said:

Finally, an article that didn't have any rerolls. Rerolls might be more common in elite armies and less common/absent from normal/horde armies.

The Void Dragon having to select which melee weapon profile to use tells me that Guilliman and Abaddon are truly blenders in combat, as it looks to confirm that they can use both melee profiles.

Not really, as those are two different weapons on their sheets. Here we see ONE weapon with two different modes. It maybe that you don't split attacks anymore and have to choose the mode for that phase.

If a model gets all melee weapons, then CSM are blenders as they get 7 attacks, 4 with the chainsword and 3 with their CCW.

Edited by Focslain

I love the new Reanimation rules. Straightforward, useful for all units. I'm a bit vexed by the wording of "reanimating wounds" as the effect which then works on a models wounds.

In case anyone is confused, I recommend thinking about it like so

A unit in your army activates Reanimation Protocols and generates D3 Reanimation Points. Each Reanimation Point is then spent: 

• If the unit contains one or more models with fewer than their starting wounds remaining, select one of those models; that model regains one lost wound.
  • If all the models in that unit have their starting number of wounds, but the unit is not at its Starting Strength, one destroyed model is returned to that unit with one wound remaining.

If I had a unit of 3 Destroyers (3W each) which had a model with one wound remaining then first bullet point is in effect and 1 Reanimation Point would bring the wounded model up to two wounds. A second Reanimation Point would bring the wounded model up to three wounds. A third reanimation point would do nothing.

If I had a unit of 3 Destroyers which had one model removed as a destroyed then the second bullet point is in effect and 1 Reanimation Point would bring the destroyed model back to the unit at 1 wounds. At that point the first bullet point is in effect and a second Reanimation Point would bring the wounded model up to two wounds and a third Reanimation Point would bring it up to three wounds.

If I had a unit of 10 Lychguard (2W each) which had two models removed as destroyed then the second bullet point is in effect and 1 Reanimation Point would bring one destroyed model back to the unit at 1 wounds. At that point the first bullet point is in effect and a second Reanimation Point would bring the wounded model up to two wounds. The second bullet point comes back into effect because there are no wounded models, so a third Reanimation Point would bring the second destroyed Lychguard back to the unit with one wound remaining.

Edit:

6 minutes ago, arnesh88 said:

It's because The Void Dragon only has one weapon, but that weapon has two profiles. G&A both have two weapons and each weapon has a single profile. I don't think we can really get anything about how a model with multiple weapons can attack by comparing the two. Otherwise, we might also assume that an Obliterator with its single Fleshmetal Guns weapon can only fire one profile while a Chaos Legionnaire with a bolter and bolt pistol can fire both.

Edited by jaxom

6 minutes ago, jaxom said:

I love the new Reanimation rules. Straightforward, useful for all units. I'm a bit vexed by the wording of "reanimating wounds" as the effect which then works on a models wounds.

In case anyone is confused, I recommend thinking about it like so

A unit in your army activates Reanimation Protocols and generates D3 Reanimation Points. Each Reanimation Point is then spent: 

• If the unit contains one or more models with fewer than their starting wounds remaining, select one of those models; that model regains one lost wound.
  • If all the models in that unit have their starting number of wounds, but the unit is not at its Starting Strength, one destroyed model is returned to that unit with one wound remaining.

If I had a unit of 3 Destroyers (3W each) which had a model with one wound remaining then first bullet point is in effect and 1 Reanimation Point would bring the wounded model up to two wounds. A second Reanimation Point would bring the wounded model up to three wounds. A third reanimation point would do nothing.

If I had a unit of 3 Destroyers which had one model removed as a destroyed then the second bullet point is in effect and 1 Reanimation Point would bring the destroyed model back to the unit at 1 wounds. At that point the first bullet point is in effect and a second Reanimation Point would bring the wounded model up to two wounds and a third Reanimation Point would bring it up to three wounds.

If I had a unit of 10 Lychguard (2W each) which had two models removed as destroyed then the second bullet point is in effect and 1 Reanimation Point would bring one destroyed model back to the unit at 1 wounds. At that point the first bullet point is in effect and a second Reanimation Point would bring the wounded model up to two wounds. The second bullet point comes back into effect because there are no wounded models, so a third Reanimation Point would bring the second destroyed Lychguard back to the unit with one wound remaining.

You are correct, but put it in a quite confusing way. It's like a reverse mortal wounds

8 minutes ago, jaxom said:

I'm a bit vexed by the wording of "reanimating wounds" as the effect which then works on a models wounds.

The new reanimation has the current version of Living Metal backed into it. Hence the strange wording. The Living Metal part affects characters and single model units like vehicles then you have the reanimation part which brings back models to units and heals wounds.

Anybody who wants a more in-depth discussion, feel free to drop by the Tombs, we've got a dedicated topic to discussing the article. 

I'm excited, if cautiously optimistic, for the Necrons overall this edition. Curious what TSK and crypteks will do this edition, but if you're running Awakened Dynasty it sounds like the Return of the Royal Court is imminent!

Now that characters are able to join units again and the new rules will give more buffs while doing so, it looks like silver tide might be back on the menu.

I hope Doomstalker would be better this edition. Looking at that Doomsday Cannon profile, it might still have random amount of shots. :/

4 minutes ago, Stealth_Hobo said:

Now that characters are able to join units again and the new rules will give more buffs while doing so, it looks like silver tide might be back on the menu.

I hope Doomstalker would be better this edition. Looking at that Doomsday Cannon profile, it might still have random amount of shots. :/

Could be worse...currently its random shots and random damage lol

Reanimation protocols looking good for Warriors!

Also:

In order to claim victory in an epic – and apocryphal – war against their ancient rivals, they used advanced technology to transfer the consciousness of their entire race into mechanical bodies. 

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

12 minutes ago, phandaal said:

Reanimation protocols looking good for Warriors!

Also:

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

They mean dodgy and possibly exaggerated war stories, I think. See also The Apocryphalyse in one of Terry Preachett’s books. 

:angel:

Edited by Zoatibix

You could always ask The Infinite for an accurate accounting, but you might run the risk of dying of old age before he finished—or becoming part of the exhibits yourself :wink:

(also, biasedobserversayswhat)

That is what apocryphal means, but it would apply to races other than the Necrons. The Necrons know what happened during the War in Heaven because all of them were actually present "in the flesh," as it were. Or they are mindless skelebots who do not care what happened one way or the other.

Anyway, just an offhand remark. Not trying to detail the topic.

Necron rules looking pretty solid this time around!

I think it's worth noting that battleshock doesn't necessarily correspond to fear/bravery all the time, and mindless automata aren't exactly known for their flexibility, reactivity, and initiative-taking when circumstances change badly.

IIRC a modern military unit is considered to be degraded severely in terms of fighting capability at just 10% losses. A formation of necrons losing cohesiveness and co-ordination after 50% casualties seems reasonable enough.

If everyone has super-high Leadership it just shunts battleshock back into being a vestigial little clump of rules that no-one cares about. I'd much rather the disruption and collapse of fighting units' capabilities be a serious aspect of the game to contend with across the board.