10th ed Faction Focus - Necrons

Points seem similar to what I remember, but characters look to be down and there's no cost for wargear only Enhancements.

You get a free ResOrb, and you get a free ResOrb, and so do you!

Necrons are the only faction I see so far that looks like a match for marines mostly due to it being so hard to hold them down. I dont see MSU being useful at all in any of the squads. I think my 3 doomscythe airforce might see the field again just for giggles backed up by a pair of Anni barges and heavy destroyers. I really enjoy lightning fast attacks and units with necrons, which tends to throw people who are prepared for slow plodding necrons. 

It looks like lychguard are going to be nasty, unfortunately I dont have any :P But I do have 30 Deathmarks who are looking at a target rich environment.

Im still not sure on how characters attach to units as far as say a locust lord and a technomancer type of thing(if it can even be done). I have time to figure it out since I am still awhile from playing 10th since its summer and thats beach and fishing time on the weekends instead of 40k.

Only way to schlep a Technomancer along with any Destroyers is to equip a Cloak so you get Lone Operative. The only units they can attach to are Immortals, Warriors, and Lychguard.

image.png.202a193d3cf1d3c58dbfca143a23574c.png

So, Infiltrate the Flayed One, shoot a unit near them until it's Below Half-Strength to set up Flesh Hunger? At least it removes needing to Slow Roll for units with rules that take effect when a unit is Below Starting-Strength or Below Half-Strength.

Edited by jaxom

How are our Warriors affected by Feel No Pain (from Crypteks) and multi-damage weapons? If hit by a handful of heavy bolter rounds do we have to roll each one individually as it's 2 damage, like 9th?

Just played. Necrons feel GOOD. I didn't play much after the last round of buffs in 9th because the army was strong but it didn't play the way I wanted them to. This was much better.

Reanimator was amazing. It helped so much. And when my opponent wised up and started shooting it, it tanked a ton of damage with lucky rolls on the FNP.

Doom Scythe is punishing. That stand firm/ dive for cover rule mattered a lot in the end. My opponent kept standing firm and I got a bunch of free hits every time as a result.

Ophydians aren't just worse Skorpekhs anymore! They really tore into some light infantry. And the plasmacyte not killing itself by failing a charge roll was a nice bonus.

I definitely forgot some rules and did some stuff wrong. But I think the game is a lot smoother than 9th. I also think the cards will help a ton. I printed mine out but didnt get around to laminating and cutting them out yet so I was still flipping through whole sheets. But once they're properly cut into cards it'll be a huge help.

Overall I think this is a massive step up over 9th. Can't wait to play more!

Edit: I hate losing the ability to just add one model to a unit though. Hopefully they fix that. But at least list building was super easy. I just did it on my phone calculator while pulling units off the shelf.

Edited by Tyriks

6 hours ago, Tyriks said:

Just played. Necrons feel GOOD. I didn't play much after the last round of buffs in 9th because the army was strong but it didn't play the way I wanted them to. This was much better.

Reanimator was amazing. It helped so much. And when my opponent wised up and started shooting it, it tanked a ton of damage with lucky rolls on the FNP.

Doom Scythe is punishing. That stand firm/ dive for cover rule mattered a lot in the end. My opponent kept standing firm and I got a bunch of free hits every time as a result.

Ophydians aren't just worse Skorpekhs anymore! They really tore into some light infantry. And the plasmacyte not killing itself by failing a charge roll was a nice bonus.

I definitely forgot some rules and did some stuff wrong. But I think the game is a lot smoother than 9th. I also think the cards will help a ton. I printed mine out but didnt get around to laminating and cutting them out yet so I was still flipping through whole sheets. But once they're properly cut into cards it'll be a huge help.

Overall I think this is a massive step up over 9th. Can't wait to play more!

Edit: I hate losing the ability to just add one model to a unit though. Hopefully they fix that. But at least list building was super easy. I just did it on my phone calculator while pulling units off the shelf.

What did you play with?

10 immortals with Tesla with an overlord attached

20 warriors with flayers with a Royal Warden attached

3 heavy lokhusts with gauss with a lokhust lord

2 DDAs

Reanimator

Void Dragon

6 Ophydians

3 Lokhusts

1 Doom Scythe

I was too busy during previews to keep up with a lot so I made my list fairly blindly, I just grabbed units from the shelf that I didn't get to use much in 9th or that I just haven't used in awhile. I rounded it out a little to get closer to 2000.

Heavy Lokhusts are extremely damaging now, they were a lot of fun. At one point the unut got down to one wound on one model (besides the lord) and between the rez orb and the reanimator (plus the stratagem) they were back to full strength by the time they shot next. But Lokhusts only moving 7" is painful. They used to be so fast!

The Void Dragon only moving 7" was worse though. He did punch a hole in some Kastelan robots but was never in range of a vehicle again. Ended up whiffing on Skitarii Rangers a few times which felt really silly.

The characters felt much more meaningful now, since all our stratagems improve with them and the bonuses they provide anyway.

We both had units get battleshocked but it didn't feel nearly as bad as having a unit fall back in 7th or prior, and not losing more models to it is definitely an improvement. It did matter in terms of losing OC but didn't feel very punishing.

The regular lokhusts were easily my worst unit, they definitely feel like they went from a fairly versatile unit to one that just wants to pick on mid level infantry. The unit size restriction really screwed me up here, too, because I built 5 Lokhusts and converted the 6th into a Lord so that feels like a waste of money now. I guess I should keep my eyes open for a single model on secondhand sites.

I would be a lot more on board with unit size restrictions if it was just for horde type units or battleline units or something like that. It will take a lot of getting used to.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 4:18 AM, Tyriks said:

The regular lokhusts were easily my worst unit, they definitely feel like they went from a fairly versatile unit to one that just wants to pick on mid level infantry.

The flip side of this is that a single Lokhust is now our cheapest unit. Very good mission monkey.