Aeldari in Tenth?

Paladin777

Aedari factions keep making broken balance problems for a long time, in every edition, almost every book.

So there are some question about 10th : When? Which faction? How big the impact will be?

15 hours ago, Karhedron said:

I agree, Strands of Fate was a pain and I forgot to use it half the time.

Pre-8th, with no widely available rerolls, Eldar were the reroll faction, able to manipulate fate with guide and doom etc. In 8th, where everyone and their grandmother got rerolls, in typical 9th ed style, add in a rule to make them better, Eldar just got straight 6's instead of rerolls. That said, having to choose them before rolling was a pain, weaker than miracle dice, and meant I forgot to use them a lot also. The lack of actual accessible "fate" dice added a couple more minutes fumbling with the book each turn, however in a faction weakened by 9th, the ability to make one thing guarantee to go your way was great. 

What I'd like to see in 10th is something to represent the old glancing hit rules. Eldar vehicles were always survivable due to speed, not armour, living off glancing hits afforded by the FAST vehicle rule. In 8th, this disappeared, and in 9th, tables got smaller so the fast tanks had fewer places to run to, a double hit to survivability. 

Wave serpent transhuman was a great option, plus the invuln. I'd like to see either of those back in some form, as opposed to just boosting T and W. 

Hmm, I wonder if we will see Guardians drop back to WS/BS 4+ since they are basically mililtia. 3+ would be reserved for Aspect Warrior and Wraith units.

One thing I like is the overall drop in AP. Our fast-but-fragile infantry might be just a little bit less fragile in 10th.

If they make guardians relevant, they have been overcosted for ages now:yes:

Ive never used them in ages. 

Catapults* are prob gonna get changed to ap0 and bladestorm was rumoured to be sustained his, curbing their ap completely if so:ermm:

*As in the eldar weapon, not medieval siege weapons:tongue::laugh:

Guardians have been terrible since 3rd edition when Gav Thorpe decided the mandatory Troops of a dying race should carry machine pistols into battle wearing tinfoil armour. :rolleyes:

Every edition I have found some way to use another (better) unit as the core of my army, be that Avengers, Jetbikes or now just Rangers. Now that Troops are no longer a thing, paying a tax of rubbish units to get to the good stuff is no longer necessary. Hopefully GW will finally have a reason to make them worth taking (either in quality or price).

I feel like gws has been making an effort to gives "troops" units abilities that make you want to take them. Hopefully tue same rings true for guardians. I have three boxes of them to paint, so I am really hoping...

Where's a farseer when you need one!?

Milita with previous professional military experience and decades if not centuries of ‘weekend training’ topped off with superior technology and super fast reflexes.

Come on, folks, we’ve already seen stinky Mon-Keigh units that can be hitting on 2+!

Aeldari should be an elite army. A faster, more skilled, technologically sophisticated version of those Marines everyone is always banging on about.

I certainly don’t want to see the return of Starcannon Spam or fleets of scat bikes, but let’s not do ourselves down here, either.

We’re the Gruddamned Guardians of the Galaxy, people! 

We’ve only in the last couple of editions seen the huge stat squash of third edition lifted - a downward change that mainly left marines untouched.

Orks and Votann should be able to have as much raw Toughness as the Poster Boys - and Eldar (all shades of ‘em) should be able to be faster and more skilled. 

My apologies but I have long since grown tired of the ‘Marines should be best at everything’ mentality.:biggrin:

Edited by Zoatibix
Added mini rant.

I think our potent anti-tank options will probably be d-cannons, wraith-cannons, fire prisms, ghost-glaives, the Avatar in melee, and maaaaybe bright lances and dragon fusion guns.

though I think the lances and fusion guns are going to be relatively low Str for dedicated anti-tank...

Edited by Paladin777

This all said, I'm going to guess that they preview either defender guardians or dire avengers, the Avatar, and the prism cannon. The one of the big questions for me is whether or not the weapons platform weapons are previewed or not, should they show the guardians. 

17 hours ago, Urkh said:

I feel like gws has been making an effort to gives "troops" units abilities that make you want to take them. Hopefully tue same rings true for guardians. I have three boxes of them to paint, so I am really hoping...

image.png.b97bc6d7215791dbb8625f82e54f6230.png

well-there-it-is.gif

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/16/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-aeldari/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=warhammer-40,000&utm_content=ffaeldari16052023&fbclid=IwAR2dEMyIDZFbTgHWhASu2M3ns5o3trPj4Fm3WIak8E5XBoBjh8ElOCtvneo

I am quite liking the Fate dice mechanic, a lot simpler than the 9th edition strands of Fate (although a bit less powerful). It looks to me like a Farseer and squad of Guardian Defenders will be a staple in most lists (which is a good thing). You get 12 Fate dice normally but with a single squad of Defenders camping on your home Objective that will go up to 17 over the course of the game (assuming you can keep them alive). Farseers turn all Fate dice used within 12" of themselves into 6s meaning that even any 1s rolled are still excellent.

I can see a lot of potential here. As well as obvious lucky 6s for saves or to proc other abilities, we can do things like pull of guaranteed 12" charges. That means fast units like Banshees can potentially get in the enemy's face T1 and really mess up their battle plans. Obviously we have only seen a few rules and units but this looks like a promising foundation to go into 10th edition from.

I agree. 

Unparalleled Foresight also looks fantastic for the reliability small and single units like Bright Lance Wraithlords, and the starcannon looks to finally have a niche for the first time since 7th! Marine killer extraordinaire!

Shuriken Catapults having assault and -1 AP is also nice to have. 

it's worth pointing out that a Farseer can turn one fate die within twelve inches of them into a six per turn. I'd imagine that multiple Farseers doesn't allow you to turn multiple dice per turn into sixes too.

Still incredibly useful though!

Edited by Paladin777

Guardian Defenders look pretty great and I'm glad they're looking useful again! As with all the other Troops units previewed, bonuses for doing their job is exactly what we needed to want to take them :laugh:

The Farseer's ability is pretty great if you keep them up in the mid board I think, you want to be close enough to maybe give the 6 to a charge roll or to give it to a backfield unit, as the ability only activates when the unit uses a Fate Dice not when it's generated.

One thing I noticed with the Fire Prisms too is that they now don't need to target the same unit when they bounce their shots. They just need to be in range and LoS of the friendly Prism to shoot. Flat damage on both profiles is definitely scary!

I'm curious about the pulse laser on the falcon. 

If that's even S13, it plus a bright lance would be pretty close to the damage output of a Fire Prism against a host of targets, along with it's transport capacity. 

not saying the prism won't be worth it, but I like my transport capacity...

14 minutes ago, Paladin777 said:

not saying the prism won't be worth it, but I like my transport capacity...

I've been running 2 falcons again since the codex came out, and it's a favourite way to play now.

I think they'd be wise to just give the Prism more T and W than a falcon or something so that they feel a bit chonkier for losing the transport part. I have 1 prism, but it's been playing 5th fiddle to falcons and serpents for a minute. 

Otherwise - pretty chuffed for the Index; super glad we kept baseline 3+ to hit.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

That said, placing one fire prism in LOS of most of the board (including two FP of your own), taking your shots, and then Fire and Fading back a full 16" move behind terrain seems incredibly powerful. 

So while I think a single FP might be useful, having three might just be bonkers!

Edited by Paladin777

1 hour ago, Paladin777 said:

it's worth pointing out that a Farseer can turn one fate die within twelve inches of them into a six per turn. I'd imagine that multiple Farseers doesn't allow you to turn multiple dice per turn into sixes too.

The way the ability is worded seems to me like it is once per turn, regardless of how many Farseers you have. I think that is good as it provides an incentive for mixing different HQs.

Liking the look of Eldar's FF. Guardians having a strong purpose is very welcome - they've languished in a weird semi-horde/semi-elite position for a long time that has left them just feeling odd; and the 10e preview makes them seem solid at the very least.

Strands is interesting and relatively simple; and with manipulation from things like the Farseer is cool.

Farseers are great. Decent attacks, Fortune is good, and will be interested to see how Warlocks (and the Skyrunner versions of both) will work.

Fire Prisms look solid, and the previewed heavy weapons on the Guardians are a good sign for the other vehicles: Bright Lances are just slightly more powerful Lascannons (+1D) and Missile Launchers are viable as a useful multi-purpose tool (hopefully not overcosted!).

Overall looking good. Guess I'm gonna pull the trigger on my Eldar in 10th!