Faction Focus: Chaos Daemons

Units normally have to pick just one of their melee weapons to fight with in a given turn, but many warriors go to war with powerful steeds, vicious pets, or weaponised cybernetics. The Extra Attacks weapon ability allows these to make, er, extra attacks 

They answered that question then, 22 attacks on Abaddon did seem a bit silly :biggrin:

These rules are rad for daemons, the Shadows of Chaos in particular is strong but will allow for counterplay

2 minutes ago, Borbarad said:

GW goes all-in on the battle shock. Hope it turns out to be impactful. 

I like that different factions specialize in different parts of the rule set, especially with the removal of Psychic Phase.

Making sure that the game doesn't just turn into "Well my guns are technically stronger than your guns, therefore the next 2 hours are just a math problem." is very important, and so far, the factions feel different enough.  Now, will they once we get a full grasp of the rules and some playtime?  I don't know.  But so far, I'm pretty thrilled about this edition, in a way I was not for 8th edition.

I like just being able to bring whatever daemon units I want within the 500 point restriction in 10th, as opposed to the allied detachment requirements in 9th. I suppose I’m making some assumptions but it seems like that’s how it will work this time around. Bloodcrushers galore.

Edited by Khornestar

1 minute ago, Khornestar said:

I like just being able to bring whatever daemon units I want within the 500 point restriction in 10th, as opposed to the allied detachment requirements in 9th. I suppose I’m making some assumptions but it seems like that’s how it will work this time around.

Not having to invest in specific requirements will open up that points limit quite a bit. I hope Brood Brothers will be similar

25 minutes ago, BluejayJunior said:

I like how they've done the demonic allies. An easy, elegant, simple solution. 

Not sure I agree- if I remember correctly, in the old version, you could take an allied detachment (with the same size restriction) and then both the CSM and the Daemons would get their special rules.

Now your whole army fits in one detachment, so any allies are second class suckas.

Edit: Also, Belakor is psychic beefcake while the Keeper is a psychic teddy bear. Not really liking bespoke psychic abilities- it tends to limit the capacity to distinguish and differentiate characters.

Edited by ThePenitentOne

An objective is only captured when the total Objective Control of nearby models exceeds that of their opponent, so a unit with OC 0 will effectively ‘tie’ even when faced with a complete lack of challengers

And we get confirmation that OC 0 units can't capture objectives

Edited by Matrindur

I hope deepstrike is done at the start of the momvement phase now rather than the end - seems too easy to be able to move a load of obsec stuff onto objectives in your movement phase, which then boosts the shadow of chaos letting you drop all your stuff 6" away from the enemy. 

BeLakor seems cool, damage output seems high still, for a less damageing edition. I do think Sweep attacks should be limited to 1Damage - Skarbrand easily soloing 16 marines per turn is too much I think, however those are core rules as opposed to daemons, and wont matter if he's over 500pts. 

11 minutes ago, sitnam said:

I hope Brood Brothers will be similar

That would be ace, however they'll have to do some wangling with the REGIMENT etc keywords. 

13 minutes ago, ThePenitentOne said:

Not sure I agree- if I remember correctly, in the old version, you could take an allied detachment (with the same size restriction) and then both the CSM and the Daemons would get their special rules.

Now your whole army fits in one detachment, so any allies are second class suckas.

Edit: Also, Belakor is psychic beefcake while the Keeper is a psychic teddy bear. Not really liking bespoke psychic abilities- it tends to limit the capacity to distinguish and differentiate characters.

They've stated that they wanted to limit allies to mostly narrative play, with a few exceptions. So with that limitation, I think this is an elegant solution to get around that and still allow some demon units in Chaos armies without being burdensome or (hopefully) being overly powerful. People can debate whether or not this way or the 8th/9th way of doing it was better. But I still think this is an easy way to add in flavorful allies to matched play. 

12 minutes ago, Xenith said:

Seems too easy to be able to move a load of obsec stuff onto objectives in your movement phase, which then boosts the shadow of chaos letting you drop all your stuff 6" away from the enemy. 

Nope.

You check at the start of each phase to determine Shadow of Chaos, so this combo doesn't work thankfully.

Definitely makes deamons an interesting army, and I'm glad to see one that makes it east to mix with CSM. Interesting for the mixing restrictions that the Slaanesh limitations is only for Lucius. I suspect that means he might be required if you want Emperor's Children Noise Marines to be Battleline. 

20 minutes ago, Xenith said:

Skarbrand easily soloing 16 marines per turn is too much I think

Bear in mind that his Sweep is AP-1, so those Marines are getting a 4+ against those hits, where in 9th they'd only be getting a 5+; or Be'lakor's which was AP-4 is now AP-3 (it's not much, but it's still a chance).

Skarbrand is, statistically speaking, killing 5.5 Marines with his sweep. Enough to wipe a small unit, but not a full 10-man unit; and a unit of Terminators is only (again, statistically only) suffering 2.8 casualties against the strike profile.

Lethality is down, but the big nasties like these guys should be dangerous. Let's just hope they, and all units, are costed appropriately.

Edit:

Really liking the Daemon rules. Thematic, powerful but with play and counterplay. Should be a very interesting army to play with and against.

Edited by Kallas
Thoughts on Daemons.

Wow, the daemonic manifestation/terror/shadow rules seem very interesting. Regaining wounds not just on a fancy roll like a double-6, but every time a Battle Shock test is passed (while within the Shadow), as well as inflicting mortal wounds on enemies when they fail one, feels like it really emphasises the objective control for Daemons.

I also appreciate the inherent balance of regenerating the D3 Daemon models/wounds being tied to successful Battleshock tests. You're never going to be able to get the unit back up to starting strength under normal circumstances because you're only taking that test at <50% strength. Shadow in the Warp which is supposed to cut off ties to the warp giving all daemon units on table the potential to heal might be a slight flavour fail though.