Faction Focus: Leagues of Votann

3 minutes ago, phandaal said:

At this point, there is not much value in going round and round. We will find out the full context soon enough.

Like with most factions, we have a small view into how the army works with these articles, but no true idea until the Index is published and we have time to read the rules and play the game.

Chaos Space Marines with Dark Pact are the same way. It's fine, but has a downside. However, with the right combinations or other rules interacting with it, it could be amazing, we just don't know.

12 hours ago, Lemondish said:

Sure, but this isn't in bulk.

Because this article was written specifically to target that group of people that hate this faction, we have zero idea of how or when additional tokens can be applied. Each enemy unit needs to kill two Votann units to be hit with 2 tokens to regularly acquire plus one to wound against it. That's nowhere close to bulk.

Provided you haven't sacrificed your entire army in order to get two tokens on each unit.

Bulk might be wrong phrase

Detachment rule starts a unit on 2 which is a big deal on eg a full Land Raider, superheavy, giant monster etc

On 5/14/2023 at 9:40 AM, tzeentch9 said:

I have no idea what you are saying to be honest. I was simply postulating what I thought would have been a better army rule / philosophy. There are better ways to nerf votann without making them bland

That is more or less exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you. I agree with your sentiment.

People always feel bait and switched when their faction is nerfed. This is probably what partially leads to power creep, as buffing to balance goes over better than nerfing with the fanbase overall, and units getting buffed is probably good for sales of the relevant boxes.

That said, and despite LoV seeming a bit OTT as they are/were, I agree that LoV players should have been thrown a bone to offset the nerfs beyond just T5. Something a bit more flavorful and unique to focus on in the face of the nerfs, and to move the gimmick of the army away from just Judgment Tokens, which were heavily nerfed from their arguably broken previous state.

Guess we will wait and see with the full index and then Codex.

The dev team struggle with 2 separate but equally important aspects of game design.

Balance and Faction flavor.

All the armies need to be able to stand up to each other, in some capacity

Each faction needs to have it's thing, we don't want LoV just being short Marines. Finding ways to add flavor that don't turn into a pool of special rules that each group draws from, see loyalist and chaos Marines in earlier editions.

What would be a good faction ability that plays into the LoV that could help differentiate then from other forces? Essentially they are space fairing miners/scrappers. 

22 minutes ago, mel_danes said:

What would be a good faction ability that plays into the LoV that could help differentiate then from other forces? Essentially they are space fairing miners/scrappers.

Honestly, Eye of the Ancestors is a cool ability even if it is basically just Markerlights. Kahls make rapid battlefield assessments to find key zones of attack, transmit that data to their troops, then their troops achieve greater results by working together to bring down those targets.

Where this article was a miss (for Votann fans) is that it is presented as integral to the faction, something that Kahls and their Theyns do, then all we saw was that we can pick one unit to put tokens on at the start of the battle, and then we get them when units die.

Then we got a designer quote saying that they really feel like this one method for accessing our faction rule is what really represents the core of the faction.

It was just not well presented. GW focused so much on showing toned down rules that they forgot to show where the fun comes from.

8 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

However, with the right combinations or other rules interacting with it, it could be amazing, we just don't know.

If only they had thought to put together a series of articles with a focus on each faction and how some of these amazing interactions might come about...

It got me thinking. I don't know every faction the same way that I know the ones I collect, so has everyone also had a negative reaction to these articles being so, well, unfocused?

5 hours ago, Dark Shepherd said:

Bulk might be wrong phrase

Detachment rule starts a unit on 2 which is a big deal on eg a full Land Raider, superheavy, giant monster etc

Yeah, I agree - bulk was definitely the wrong phrase.

Yes, it will be good on a single unit right from the start. Not nearly as good as two tokens are today, of course, but that was expected.

34 minutes ago, Lemondish said:

It got me thinking. I don't know every faction the same way that I know the ones I collect, so has everyone also had a negative reaction to these articles being so, well, unfocused?

Don't want to derail the topic too much, I think it would be a great stand alone one, but I for one would like to know, since everybody is comparing battleline, how our intercessors and tacticals are gonna stand up. Terminators are cool, and I'm happy to know about the Terminator Captain, but with all these battleline going to 4+ to hit, what does an "elite" battleline unit look like?