10th Ed Imperial Knights preview discussion

1 hour ago, Helycon said:

I agree. You can easily invalidate about 60%+ from an armies shooting by just showing up with Imperial Knights, due to the higher toughness on all models. Whilst it's great for Knights, it's not great for the game as a whole. Knights are just an odd army to balance in that regard.

I expect our advantage to be for a limited run.  We are just barely out of the Goldilocks range and no codices have been released yet.  The main issue is how many armies are underperforming.  As the codices roll out those armies are going to get stronger.

Our codex is not going to give us a stronger army rule than the one we already have, and that rule is likely to be nerfed before we get our codex.  Although I can see us getting more Oath options than just the 2 we have right now.  We will also get other detachments that might be more interesting, but I'm not sure what they would give that would be better defensively than the 6+ FNP, even a Repair detachment seems like it will be weaker.

4 hours ago, ValourousHeart said:

I expect our advantage to be for a limited run.  We are just barely out of the Goldilocks range and no codices have been released yet.  The main issue is how many armies are underperforming.  As the codices roll out those armies are going to get stronger.

Our codex is not going to give us a stronger army rule than the one we already have, and that rule is likely to be nerfed before we get our codex.  Although I can see us getting more Oath options than just the 2 we have right now.  We will also get other detachments that might be more interesting, but I'm not sure what they would give that would be better defensively than the 6+ FNP, even a Repair detachment seems like it will be weaker.

Current challenge is they committed to the higher toughness, which will be hard to reverse. They can change stats in the codices, but those will come incrementally, which could give you weird balancing issues between releases again. 

I'm sure there will be new rules for Knights in the codex, but that won't address the challenges opponents face with the high toughness Knights have, unless they change that stat specifically. 

6 hours ago, Helycon said:

I agree. You can easily invalidate about 60%+ from an armies shooting by just showing up with Imperial Knights, due to the higher toughness on all models. Whilst it's great for Knights, it's not great for the game as a whole. Knights are just an odd army to balance in that regard.

The high toughness is an issue with vehicles in this edition period. I can see this being an issue with IG's armoured company, heck any amoured company style list. Those type you have to tailor to which isn't all that great.

Going to reserve knights for other knights, something I haven't had the chance to do just yet. I am looking at swapping a warglaive as a cheaper alternative to a russ in my guard army. See how that works. 

Also has anyone tried using AoI squads as point filler/cheap obj takers? Looking into an Exaction squad to pad the numbers a little.

53 minutes ago, Focslain said:

The high toughness is an issue with vehicles in this edition period. I can see this being an issue with IG's armoured company, heck any amoured company style list. Those type you have to tailor to which isn't all that great.

Of course in 9th we had the opposite problem in that vehicles were usually too fragile to survive unless they had additional special rules such as Invulnerable saves or damage reduction.

35 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

Of course in 9th we had the opposite problem in that vehicles were usually too fragile to survive unless they had additional special rules such as Invulnerable saves or damage reduction.

Indeed, they may have swung a bit too far to the other end. The 'easiest' solution is lethal hits or anti-vehicle against Knights. The lethal hits work against any target. Anti vehicle not so much, of course.

I think you may just need to play the objective game as much as possible against Knights, since they are relatively slow and cumbersome around cover due to their base sizes. Scoring against vehicle heavy lists is pretty similar and even easier due to their even lower OC. 

23 minutes ago, Helycon said:

Indeed, they may have swung a bit too far to the other end. The 'easiest' solution is lethal hits or anti-vehicle against Knights. The lethal hits work against any target. Anti vehicle not so much, of course.

I think you may just need to play the objective game as much as possible against Knights, since they are relatively slow and cumbersome around cover due to their base sizes. Scoring against vehicle heavy lists is pretty similar and even easier due to their even lower OC. 

I haven't had that issue in my last few games. But that might be due to terrain placement, of which has been my opponent setting up the table. 

I need to face some more hordy lists though, so far the games I've done have been against elite style builds to try and deal with the knights. 

The Warhammer app has just updated, mostly QoL changes to the app and fixing keywords

<snip>

Lay low the Tyrant is also definitely 1 hit roll and 1 wound roll now.

I think that is a good clarification. Knights are doing so well anyway that this is not going to break them. Rerolling a single 1 to Hit and Wound each time it attacks is still good at making sure the biggest shots get through.