Orks in 10th: A preview

toaae

Our faction focus for 10th edition finally came up today!

I, for one, am very excited by what I saw. I'm always urging people to remember that this is a fresh rules-reset, and to not look at everything in the lens of what the previous rules were. So, no buffs or nerfs, just, 'does it look good in context of everything else they've shown/has been leaked?'.

And, I gotta say, nothing they showed today has any reason to get me down. For review, we saw:

• Our army rule is a once-per-battle WAAAGH!!! that gives advance and charge, plus one strength and attack, and a 5++ invulnerable save to every model in the army.
  • Beast Snaggas showcasing that choppas are keeping the -1AP (didn't expect that) and Orks are rocking a 5+ basic save (the weirdboy has it to, so I feel safe saying it's the Ork standard save).
  • Ghaz can join units! Makari can tank for him! Gone is the phase cap and good riddance; it was a silly and contrived rule. Instead, he'll be leading a big unit, buffing them with a nutso +1 to hit and wound (Meganobz will blend when accompanying him), while they provide a huge amount of wounds that have to be chewed through to get to the Prophet.
  • And some guns for a few vehicles that, without points, don't really tell me much.

So, how do the rest of the B&C gits feel? 

I'm very excited. Makari-as-Shadow-Field gives me a good laugh, too. Speed Waagh never really worked for me, even as an Evil Suns player so no big loss there from my POV. Ghaz depowered is fine by me as well, he always felt OP in my basementhammer meta. While I'm looking forward to seeing more detachments (DreadWAAAGH!) when we get our codex, I'm very good until then. I give it a solid B+

Edited by andes
typo

I'm Liking what I see,

Question - WAAAGH! can be declared at the start of any Battle Round so in theory you declare at the start of the round, your opponent goes first in this example, you get your Invul saves +1 str and +1 Attk during their round but then you get your charge bonus and +1 Str & Attk during your turn of the round... this is correct right ?... 

Seeing the Stompa stats makes me want to actually build mine and play it!! 

M. 

57 minutes ago, Mumeishi said:

I'm Liking what I see,

Question - WAAAGH! can be declared at the start of any Battle Round so in theory you declare at the start of the round, your opponent goes first in this example, you get your Invul saves +1 str and +1 Attk during their round but then you get your charge bonus and +1 Str & Attk during your turn of the round... this is correct right ?... 

Seeing the Stompa stats makes me want to actually build mine and play it!! 

M. 

That's how I read it. Getting the 5++ when your opponent goes first might be worth losing the second turn of WAAAGH!  ...and yeah, I want a Stompa too but the current model is pretty rough.

3 hours ago, andes said:

That's how I read it. Getting the 5++ when your opponent goes first might be worth losing the second turn of WAAAGH!  ...and yeah, I want a Stompa too but the current model is pretty rough.

2 hours ago, Mumeishi said:

I Don't mind the Model itself, although I found image's of the Stompa instructions with written detailed numbering of parts and steps to build it on Imgur it looks super helpful :sweat:

M. 

Having one myself, and all assembled and painted, I've only ever gotten to use it in 30K games because it was prohibitively pointed in 8th and 9th.

If they're previewing it for 10th, mayhaps it'll be knight point ranges/survivability in which case it might see some non-Great-Crusade table time finally!

2 hours ago, Brother Casman said:

I'm looking forward to getting da boyz on the table - I liked what I saw in the preview, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Likewise.  Throughout 9th, the army I've consistently always had a blast with, win or lose, is Orks. There was some sad loss of flavor in the stratagems from 8th, but green tide as a thing coming back would be nice! The "Reinforcements" strat for IG is a twinkle of hope in that regard.

Turn my brain off, throw the lads at the enemy lines, get stuck in, and enjoy a good scrap.  And in the process, usually win, because "Orkz is da' biggest and da' best, roit?"

• 2 weeks later...

What worries me though is how will we be able to field multiple mobs of boyz  on foot with the way how characters work now. In 9th we were able to blanket two mobs with a single Mek and a Painboy whilst with how 10th works, these characters now benefit only a single unit. I hope that these abilities remain auras but I fear that we wont be able to footslog mobs anymore. Granted, battleshock means that we do not loose models anymore and that our mobs are more resilient, still Blast also means that and average Blast weapon will have 4 extra shots on mobs of 20 boyz. 

I am reasonably concerned, those 120 boyz of mine are cracking for some action and they are tired seeing only the trukk boyz having all the fun. 

Since im just getting in to orks im looking forward for some trukkboyz fun. Gaz also looks cool but im wondering how to keep him save and i doubt that we can still tuck him in a battlewagon since he's attached to a unit right?

4 hours ago, yan said:

Since im just getting in to orks im looking forward for some trukkboyz fun. Gaz also looks cool but im wondering how to keep him save and i doubt that we can still tuck him in a battlewagon since he's attached to a unit right?

You will be running Him with some Lots of Mega Nobs for sure, although (unless the10th Ed Ork rules change) Ghaz is still by himself in his Limo :tongue:... 

M. 

Oh and well done for getting into Orks :thumbsup:

I thought it meant if you have a supa kannon equipped you can only take 15 orks , no mega Nobs or jump packs… 

well that’s how I read it :sweat:

++EDIT++ now I’ve re read it perhaps it does mean no Mega or jumps … 

Edited by Mumeishi

On 6/7/2023 at 5:35 PM, Magos Takatus said:

So... Ghaz can fit on board but a normal Mega armoured Ork can't? They must each take up the space of about 9 Orks. lol

Meganobz are too bulky to climb up the squiggoths ladder while Ghaz is big enough that he doesn't need the ladder

Alternatively, the squiggoth won't let the mega-armoured boyz up but is too scared of Ghaz to put up a fight

Edited by Paturabo

2 hours ago, andes said:

Ghaz can ride in the Stompa. That's enough to get me to buy one :laugh:

Haha thats even cooler!

Im sad that ghaz can only join meganobz tho.

But overall it looks pretty good to me, not to much changes anyways. Lets see what the points will do

I am utterly disappointed with my Orks. I have played today the following list:

Warboss (Cybork Body)

Nobz (power claws)

Boyz

Boyz

3x Trukks

Lootas

Killa Kans

Deff Dread

Gretchin  

A total of 1000 points which went against the Custodes with Trajann, 2x Custodian Guard, 1x Allarus Terminators, 1x Blade Champion, 1x Shield Captain and 2x Enhancements.

It ended by turn four, net victory for the Custodes. In Waagh I have charged the Custodian Guard with the Blade Champion attached with the following; Boss, Boyz, KIlla Kans and 2x survivng Nobz. It ended with a single Custodes dead which returned thanks to their stratagem in the next turn. And that was also with the 5+ critical on the Boyz. 

During the entire game I killed a net of 5 custodes, 3 returned with their stratagem.

It was appalling. They have neutered so much the ork damage that is dismal and struggles to put wounds through. All the shooting is bad too. The many culprit is though the low AP of our attacks which barely put a dent on something, especially in a world of high toughness units. 

Overall a very very bad outing for the Orks and I see no way how to turn it around. 

Ugh, not good :confused: , I wonder how you’d go against a less tough army ?, custodes seem a pretty Ard Nut to crack!! , luckily I’ve not played em :sweat:
my mates and I will be playing a few games in weeks to come , mainly guard and Eldar , I guess I’ll see how it goes :ermm:
can I ask how your Deff dread went ?!, and it’s kit out (or what you chose to use since the points pay for anything now !!) 

Edited by Mumeishi
Auto correct… shenanigans