Warhammer 40,000: Speed Freaks

After a quick handful of games in the playtest version of the game, I gotta say that while it's still clunky and obviously not the finished product, the potential for a very fun experience is definitely there.

The devs seem to have a good understanding of orks and their nonsense, with the announcer exclaiming things like "NO ONE'Z FASTA THAN US! WAAAAAGH!" when your teams gets to the capture point first, and "THEY'Z CHEATED AND GOT THERE FIRST!" when it's the enemy team. They're also giving each vehicle some fun weapons and abilities. For example, the Shokkjump Dragsta has a sniper type weapon and an ability that gives teammates around you a speed boost. The Squigbuggy, being a weaponized food truck, is the healer of the bunch, being able to shoot food at your teammates. I also had some fun with the Wartrike, which has an aggressive close quarters kit with a grappling hook that lets you tether yourself to enemies and a melee attack from the Speedboss' klaw.

The vehicles in general handle pretty nicely, although the framerate's a bit choppy at times and the physics sometimes get wonky and do things like drastically reducing your speed from gently bumping into a teammate side to side. But issues aside, the cars do feel nice to drive. They all have a boost bar and a waaagh bar, the former letting you go fasta by holding shift, and the latter giving you buffs by doing well. Also, I don't know if every vehicle has it, but a lot of them have a dash as well, so you can double down on the goin' fasta business. It also launches your vehicle towards where you're aiming, not where you're going, so you can pull some funky maneuvers like dashing laterally while moving forwards.

Overall, while it definitely needs work implementing features, squashing bugs, and all that, it's a fun experience. I hope it only gets better with time.

Edited by DeadFingers

Well, that was amusing. The grot mega tank is pretty fearsome when you get the hang of it. The flipping ram on the front practically puts enemies into orbit and I bet if you get the timing right you could set a player up for a reliable hit from the cannon ability.

5 hours ago, Magos Takatus said:

Well, that was amusing. The grot mega tank is pretty fearsome when you get the hang of it. The flipping ram on the front practically puts enemies into orbit and I bet if you get the timing right you could set a player up for a reliable hit from the cannon ability.

My first time using it me and an opposinvg GMT flipped each other simultaneously. Good stuff

I'm honestly impressed by this little game for what they are calling an alpha

Oh my, I was hoping it would be like rock 'n' roll racing (best game ever) but seems to be more vigilante 8/interstate 76/twisted metal, which were great. This might be another purchase, if it's as good as it looks. PS4 hopefully! 

The one game mode that's available is a clever mix of racing and fighting, proper orky. I assume there will be other modes later.

Being able to set up a private game with bots filling the enpty slots is great for practice or casual knockabout fun.