Captian Pear is painting Eldar

Go to solution Solved by Firedrake Cordova,

During all my years playing RPGs or Wh40k I have never been a fan of elves, and am still not. They always become the main antagonists if I am Dm a campaign and elves are a part of the setting. I have no intentions to start playing them in 40k. But sometimes models drop into my knees and I try to paint them up as good as I can. Even if I do not like them I must say that the Avatar of Khain is a fun model to paint, a nice break from my Iron warriors, Space wolves and Death guard, Using brighter colours instead of dull metallic, grey and rust makes me a bit happier.

The Avatar is far from done, and there is a lot to clean up.

avatar2.thumb.jpg.4ec847e09d5b46e1f0ff147259b08ca4.jpg

Before my friend whom I help to paint, told me that he was going for the red elves, I managed to paint up this one,

Aeldariscout2.thumb.jpg.a348748f891c6908090a88f90d468932.jpg

I hope to continue to paint up some more pointy ears in the future, I just hope my friend would change his preferred colour from red someday, as he already has Mars Ad-Mech, Khorne daemons, and Blood angels.

Cpt. Danjou

The fire on the Avatar is indeed nicely done :smile: 

4 hours ago, Cpt.Danjou said:

I just hope my friend would change his preferred colour from red someday, as he already has Mars Ad-Mech, Khorne daemons, and Blood angels.

I appreciate that once you learn how to do something, it becomes easy and a bit of a safety blanket, but you'd also have thought they'd got bored of painting red all the time! :wink: (I'm one of those who needs an occasional break)

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

7 hours ago, Cpt.Danjou said:

I hope to continue to paint up some more pointy ears in the future, I just hope my friend would change his preferred colour from red someday, as he already has Mars Ad-Mech, Khorne daemons, and Blood angels.

As far as I am concerned I am obsessed by "the Fang". Costed me a lot to go away from it in favour of something else... And even there my AdMechs still have Russ grey pants.

I will try again Red Aeldari soon too, declutching my pile of shame. So I can´t really blame your friend for his choice...

Anyway the Avatar looks promising - keep us posted!

• Solution

I think you want a colour which contrasts with the spear-tip and also the rest of the model, so like you say, a "wraithbone" type of colour would work well. :smile: 

I'm tempted to suggest a dark haft turning to a deep red near the hand to imply that the Avatar's hand is heating the haft, but that would blend in with the dark area where the haft mates with the spear-tip too much, I think.

they're looking great!

On 6/8/2023 at 11:19 AM, Cpt.Danjou said:

I just hope my friend would change his preferred colour from red someday, as he already has Mars Ad-Mech, Khorne daemons, and Blood angels.

It's weird. I have a lot of BA and I'll never do another red army. Blue however. I have Thousand Sons, Legio Tempestus, Blue nids and Alpha legion. I just seem to be able to do a better job of blue things than other colours.