Tyranids Index

TrawlingCleaner

Yeees!!!!

Downloading immediately. Hopefully my psychic bugs have stayed decent. 

Will of the hive mind, for free strats on units will be amazing with the endless swarm regen models strat, HT's might be key units in an army, which is absolutely thematic.

Uh oh, gargoyles are battleline, can move 24" per turn, still shoot and are OC2 - those that were thinking eldar and warp spiders were OP are going to be upset! 

There's definitely some nice overlapping abilities in there, wth things like zoanthropes, venomthrops and psychophage overlapping to make some tough bugs. Not 100% happy with all of it, many weapons like lash whips, boneswords etc on warriors have been consolidated, but lets see how things shake out. 

Edited by Xenith

The separated Tyranid warriors into two different forms is actually way less weird than I thought it was going to be.  I like both versions ability for their different iterations and it makes sense; don't need the ability to advance, shoot, AND charge on a melee only unit.

Also, Termagants being battleline, obvi.

Wow Tyrant Guard giving a FNP 5+ to your Hive Tyrant is PRETTY GOOD.

Could they have chosen a worse picture for the Lictor?  I don't think so.

Edited by DemonGSides

I notice they've deleted the Tyranid Prime & Neurothrope.

"Sorry that you bought and assembled those models previously and now can't use them as your HQ. But now you can buy new models to use instead!"

I guess at least you can still put them in a Zoanthrope or Warrior unit and ignore all the fancy stuff they have. Other than that, the datasheets are so dull. Definitely won't be playing this edition. 

6 minutes ago, Toxichobbit said:

I guess at least you can still put them in a Zoanthrope or Warrior unit and ignore all the fancy stuff they have. Other than that, the datasheets are so dull. Definitely won't be playing this edition. 

These are just the Index sheet. Full flavour will probably come when the new codex is released.

Hive Guard have anti-tank 2+ which could be very useful for this edition. I'm more optimistic about these rules myself. I've had a quick look through and I'm still conflicted on what version of the Hive Tyrant to take :laugh:

Oh and I'll need 3 carnifexs obviously for Old One Eye and his entourage...

13 minutes ago, Toxichobbit said:

I notice they've deleted the Tyranid Prime & Neurothrope.

So wait, there's a Winged Tyranid Prime, but no regular Tyranid Prime.

Seems like an oversight tbh.

Edited by Indy Techwisp
Spelling & Grammar

Tyranid Primes lead Tyranid Warriors, in this edition.  Their bonuses have been baked in.  Very similar to how DG lost their icon in the plague marine unit as a wargear option, but it's just built into the profile with the [lethal hits].

Edited by DemonGSides

7 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

These are just the Index sheet. Full flavour will probably come when the new codex is released.

I really hope so. But it feels more like a design paradigm than just having no Codex. Stuff like all Warrior weapons being the same, removal of units, no psychic power customisation, relics/WT being reduced to 4 tepid enchancements etc is really putting a downer on this edition. Which is a shame, because I think the core rules are a big improvement over 9th.

The problem with too much customisation is that it was possible to build some extremely strong combos. This made it hard to balance upgrades fairly as a reasonable price for one upgrade might become a bargain when combined with a second upgrade that magnified the first. Stacking WLTs, Relics and Stratagems in 9th was a real problem.

6 minutes ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Oh, no it seems they've downgraded them to Unit Sargents now.

Side grade, really.  They (T Primes) lose some of their wounds, but the Warriors themselves retained almost their exact statline, which is impressive in this new edition.  They also still get the Prime abilities, so the benefit of the Prime is baked into the unit already.

Downgrade makes it sound like a bad thing, I think it's a lot easier for book-keeping.  Neurothrope situation is slightly worse, but even then, the abilities of the Neurothrope are still present in the Zoanthrope data sheet, so it's not that big of a loss.

Edited by DemonGSides

1 minute ago, Karhedron said:

The problem with too much customisation is that it was possible to build some extremely strong combos. This made it hard to balance upgrades fairly as a reasonable price for one upgrade might become a bargain when combined with a second upgrade that magnified the first. Stacking WLTs, Relics and Stratagems in 9th was a real problem.

I'm sure there is a mid-ground between dozens of stratagems, upgrades, warlord traits, relics etc (which I agree was a massive problem) and 10th's generic weapon profiles & almost zero customisation.

So the layout of the datasheet is indeed in two parts, or 2-sided if you will.

The information you need is in, I do not dispute that, but I find this way of presenting the information horrendous. For some datasheets one or both sides are mostly blank. 

There must have been a more visually appealing way to present the necessary information.

1 minute ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Now unless I missed it, they didn't bring back Sky Slashers.

Not that I was expecting they would, but with a new flying bioform in the core set, it would've been cool to get the flying rippers back too.

Wasn't that a Forgeworld/non-Codex unit anyway?

2 minutes ago, Toxichobbit said:

I'm sure there is a mid-ground between dozens of stratagems, upgrades, warlord traits, relics etc (which I agree was a massive problem) and 10th's generic weapon profiles & almost zero customisation.

And we'll probably get that middleground when the codex hits, same as with other detachment rules that will mimic other hive fleet rules.