Tyranids Index

TrawlingCleaner

They seem to have put Faction: Synapse under the abilities of …well I got bored of scrolling…all of the first half of the models.

But I don’t think they are all meant to be Synapse - unless there is some bizarre idea that merely standing next to another brood makes you feel more confident…?

Broodlord and Hormagaunts get the synapse ability, but not the keyword.

Hive Tyrants get both.

34 minutes ago, Large and Moving Torb said:

Ok, so I've watched a couple battle reports now with the box set contents and in at least one I'm seeing use of Synapse in a way that is different from what I was expecting. That is the suggestion that every Tyranid model is a Synapse model; I assume they are saying this as the Faction ability lists Synapse. But to be a Synapse model doesn't the unit datasheet have to have the Synapse keyword? Otherwise, for example, Hormagaunts would be Synapse models. Surely not?

You're correct, they're wrong. The faction rule is called Synapse (and thus every unit lists it under the faction abilities), but per the rule, the models that generate it have the Synapse bolded keyword, e.g. in the keyword section at the bottom. Any of your tyranids unit with the synapse faction ability (i.e. all of them so far) within 6" of a Synapse keyword model gets to roll on 3d6 for battleshock. Without the keyword themselves, such as gants, and off on their own outside of 6" of a bigger, Synapse beastie, they roll the usual 2d6.

They do confirm it works that way in the faction focus, if anyone argues.

It would have been smart to call them different things (the faction ability could have been called Will of the Hive Mind or some such) to avoid just this confusion, but hey ho.

Edited by Arkhanist

53 minutes ago, Arkhanist said:

You're correct, they're wrong. The faction rule is called Synapse (and thus every unit lists it under the faction abilities), but per the rule, the models that generate it have the Synapse bolded keyword, e.g. in the keyword section at the bottom. Any of your tyranids unit with the synapse faction ability (i.e. all of them so far) within 6" of a Synapse keyword model gets to roll on 3d6 for battleshock. Without the keyword themselves, such as gants, and off on their own outside of 6" of a bigger, Synapse beastie, they roll the usual 2d6.

They do confirm it works that way in the faction focus, if anyone argues.

It would have been smart to call them different things (the faction ability could have been called Will of the Hive Mind or some such) to avoid just this confusion, but hey ho.

@Arkhanist thank you for confirming. I thought my reasoning was sound but I guess I couldn't get over the idea that folks who play more games than I do would just get the rule so wrong. I've certainly misread or misunderstood rules in the past. And I absolutely agree with you that they should have called the ability something else; it would have made the rule interaction more clear.

3 hours ago, Zoatibix said:

They seem to have put Faction: Synapse under the abilities of …well I got bored of scrolling…all of the first half of the models.

But I don’t think they are all meant to be Synapse - unless there is some bizarre idea that merely standing next to another brood makes you feel more confident…?

Broodlord and Hormagaunts get the synapse ability, but not the keyword.

Hive Tyrants get both.

Synapse the ability keys off the keyword.

Without the keyword, you're not a Synapse creature.

Without the ability you don't interact with Synapse at all.

really is something thats quite poor the overuse of the word synapse in multiple places. should have been something else for army term. it is curious the placings where they have removed it, the winged prime seemingly took it off the parasite meaning the parisites uses are reduced but then its combat is up but its infection is somewhat lessened...  and its utility is far less and slower... but then if the prime didnt have that then it would be fairly useless, specially til we get shrikes...