Deathwatch Index

TrawlingCleaner

Because they're a weird force?  Makes more sense than trying to shoe-horn in the rules for Deathwatch into a detatchment, which would then require EVERY detatchment they ever have to also have the same shoe-horned rules.

Bespoke Army rule for a small faction that plays differently than their parent faction is exactly how I want them to make these things going forward.  Do I wish every Space Marine flavor had it?  Sure, and I'm betting they will, come Codex time.

I’m happy with what I see. Still get the different Killteams and it look is like nothing has been radically changed.

With the changes to the VVs I was a bit concerned that the Killteams would suffer the simplifying like they did.

43 minutes ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

It's in addition to by the looks and not replacing, it would be very rough to lose Oaths of Moment to make functioning Kill Teams

I think it does because one enhancement creates a second oath of moment target once per battle.

This is way better than I expected, tons of customization still available for DW, as it should be. The only frustrating thing is special issue ammo going to stratagems, especially when CP are much harder to come be.

Thief of secrets is an absolute BEAST. That better be an expensive enhancement.

Edited by zero888

This just invalidated a lot of my old kill-teams and quite a few of my models.

For example, I recently just spent through the nose getting bits for two-handed hammer marines with jump packs and now I might as just flush them down the toilet.

A couple of things that stuck out with a quick glance over the index:

Watch Captain Artemis really highlights the weirdness going on with combi-weapons. His ranged weapon is now basically just a special flamer and he loses the Bolter characteristics. I guess it kind of gets made up for in this instance by the special ammunition affecting all of a unit’s ranged weapons now instead of the bolt weapons. Also looks like no more combo-weapons in the Deathwatch Veterans unit.

I noticed the image used on the Proteus Kill Team has an Astartes shotgun which that unit can’t have. Same with the Deathwatch Veterans showing a combi-weapon.

What specifically is a Long Vigil Ranged weapon (I’m guessing this is the Astartes shotgun, or maybe that is the combi-weapons now?) and a Long Vigil Melee weapon (maybe this is supposed to be the thunder hammer)? 

Am I reading this right that you could load a terminator and a bike into a rhino?

Infiltrator Kill Team has errors. Wargear options are missing.

Reivers cannot take Bolt Carbines despite them being in the weapons list and pictured in the header.

Eliminators cannot take Las Fusils despite them being in the weapons list.

No options to take the landmine?

Also yes, I'm not sure what that transports rule for bikes etc reads as.

4 minutes ago, MasterDeath said:

DW vets have all Combi weapons

Can all have combis - at cost of the better melee weapon. I'll probably end up doing one infantry melee squad (with my two shotgunners) and 2 shooty as per usual.

Can't quite tell what the point of putting Vanguard or bikes in a Proteus team is without access to combat squads. I suppose the only reason I was really doing it before was for Obsec, which is gone now... and all of a sudden the basic veteran squad has better OC than the killteam version?

So that's killteams mostly dead on arrival for me, but I don't really care too much about that tbh since I was generally combat squadding anyway... always were kinda awkward.

Can't tell whether the Corvus is fit to purpose either - points are important.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

19 minutes ago, Tokugawa said:

Make assault cannons on two units [anti-infantry2+] for 1CP is ridiculus. Tons of MW. Who is kasrkin?

You can also do this with a single unit of Sternguard Veterans and then have them shoot again if they kill their target, right?

30 minutes ago, fudblinker said:

I noticed the image used on the Proteus Kill Team has an Astartes shotgun which that unit can’t have. Same with the Deathwatch Veterans showing a combi-weapon.

What specifically is a Long Vigil Ranged weapon (I’m guessing this is the Astartes shotgun, or maybe that is the combi-weapons now?) and a Long Vigil Melee weapon (maybe this is supposed to be the thunder hammer)? 

Am I reading this right that you could load a terminator and a bike into a rhino?

Combi-weapons, Stalker Boltguns, shotguns, and maybe even the bolt rifle grenade launcher (if you look at the fortis kill team), are now Long Vigil Ranged Weapons.

Long Vigil melee weapons are any melee weapon that is not a CLose Combat Weapon or a Heavy Thunder Hammer (specifically when dealing with non-terminator models). 

And yeah, you can fit bikes, terminators, and jump packs in with 5 other guys in a rhino... sure.

For the most part of it, I'm pretty happy for the changes. Yeah it sucks that you can't hyper specialize you individual dudes, but now you can more broadly curtail them to focus on a specific type of threat(s) or fill a particular role. I'm just ticked off by the fact that they messed up the Spectrus Kill Team via wargear option omissions, the Shotgun and the Stalker lost their Uniqueness, Black shields are gone, nothing extra attacks for lightning claws, and that Jump pack guys do jack all when attached to Proteus Kill teams (like no options to swap out aside from the HTH. NOT EVEN A PISTOL! XD ).

Really, GW just needs to learn that Death Watch are not a standard Space Marine army like the other chapters. They function to a complete extreme that they should be their own codex like Grey Knights.

This will suffice for now, especially since the Strats add a lot of play, but they really need more freedom from the Base SM dex to really be themselves.

Hellfire Rounds are crazy... Anti-Infantry 2+ / Anti-Monster 5+ combines with Devastating Wounds to make MWs all over the place:

1 - Sternguard - They can get 3 shots a piece at 12", so that's 30 shots which wound/become MWs versus Infantry on a 2+... and then, once per game, they can shoot again after they kill a unit!

2 - As mentioned, Assault Cannon units (Terminators/Kill Teams with Terminators) get 6 shots per Assault Cannon, causing MWs to Infantry on 2+s to wound

3 - Eliminators that stand still get Devastating Wounds -- so that means their Sniper Rifles do MWs to infantry units (and their characters specifically, since they have Precision) on 2+s to wound, their Las Fusils also do D6 MWs a piece on 2+s to Wound against Infantry!

4 - Bike units led by a Chaplain on Bike now get Devasting Wounds for their Shooting -- so that means, when shooting at infantry, any 2+s wo wound become MWs -- with 6 Outriders, an ATV (with 8 shots from its Onslaught Gatling Cannon), and attached Chaplain, that is 24 shots that hit on 3+, then cause MWs on 2+s t Wound. Add in Sustained Hits from Furor Tactics and full re-rolls from Oath of Moment and, against Infantry, this unit can average about 24-25 MWs against Infantry units.... I am not sure GW thought this through all the way! ;)

Edited by L30n1d4s

The real test, now, is to see if that same tourney that knee jerked banned eldar will also do the same with Deathwatch.

but also:
Screenshot_20230612-121140.png

Edit: It also looks like theres currently no way for the Spectrus Kill Team to get Lasfusils into the unit?

Edited by Slips

1 hour ago, Slips said:

Edit: It also looks like theres currently no way for the Spectrus Kill Team to get Lasfusils into the unit?

Or Bolt Carbines if I read it right.

Edit: for clarity, the bolt carbine from Reivers , not the 'Occulus bolt carbine' or 'marksman bolt carbine'.

Edited by Trokair

10 minutes ago, Burni said:

So if I want to use a Corvus Blackstar, I have to use the DW detachment? Or can I use it with Gladius and just miss out on kill teams etc?

You can use a Gladius and not miss out on any units or unit rules. You swap out the detachment rules, strats, and enhancements. But you can still use all of the same units and the Kill Teams faction rule. You're Space Marines Plus