Thousand Sons Index

This better be good. 

I think my favourite bit so far is the Sorcerous Might stratagem that adds 9" to the range of all your [PSYCHIC] weapons, taking a force staff from range Melee to range 9", so you can throw your sabre at people. 

Hellbrutes might be an auto-take for the Cabal Point bonus. Mutalith is solid also. 

Edited by Xenith

I'm quite happy with most of this. 

A big problem the TSons had before was that the old psychic system didn't really *expand* well. The fact that every psyker had access to the same pool of powers meant that it was difficult for them to be unique - they were all just slightly different platforms for deploying the same thing. (Case in point: Even if they ever did get around to the long-awaited psychic dreadnought, what would have been the point? It'd just be a more durable way to cast the exact same spells.)

Giving each one a smaller set of custom abilities allows them each to stand out more - and the cabal system lets you retain some amount of on-demand power. The specific choices can be nitpicked, I think, but the top-level philosophy is solid. 

The fact that they sprinkled tzeentch-specific mechanics into some of the generic units is neat. The cultists and the Helbrute, specifically.

3 minutes ago, Shinespider said:

The fact that they sprinkled tzeentch-specific mechanics into some of the generic units is neat. The cultists and the Helbrute, specifically.

It looks like all of the cultists and helbrute variants are unique to each army, which is really cool imo. I haven't scanned through all of them, but it's likely all the genetics might be like that

Though, re-reading the hellbrute rules, they're rather limited.

Most of the cabal rituals are used at the start of your shooting phase - so when you use one, you generate more CaP's from the brutes...which you then cannot use as the phase has already started. This locks you into only being able to use weaver or echoes, or maybe twist if you;re already in combat. 

Using them in your opponent's turn is wasted as you lose them all again in your next command phase. 

5 minutes ago, Xenith said:

Most of the cabal rituals are used at the start of your shooting phase - so when you use one, you generate more CaP's from the brutes...which you then cannot use as the phase has already started. This locks you into only being able to use weaver or echoes, or maybe twist if you;re already in combat. 

Using them in your opponent's turn is wasted as you lose them all again in your next command phase. 

Basically it boosts our potential for melee phase which has always been a problem for tsons, so while it’s not overwhelmingly powerful, it’s a nice pickup on a unit you will want to use anyway for the antitank. Which seems to be the theme of 10th when it’s executed well. Ahriman is the opposite case. The major reason you’d want to take him is for his two abilities, not his stat line or psychic ability. 

1 hour ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Is it me, or is Ahriman on his Disk identical to walking Ahriman other than Speed?
He still leads Rubrics and he doesn't have his Disk Blades.

Not just you, it's an odd situation that both ahriman on disk and exalted on disk both have unit boosting abilities but can only join slow rubrics. They should have given a different them an aura ability. 

Ahriman could use one more ranged spell.

22 hours ago, Xenith said:

2 ritual are used at the start of your shooting phase, 3 are used at the start of any phase.

Not to mention that the Helbrute ability activated when the Ritual is used, ie at the start of the phase which means you can use that point to power another Ritual in the same phase or i  a later phase.

For instance, using 3 Cabal points to use Weavers of Fate in both your opponents Shooting and Fight Phase. Look at it as a -1 Cabal Point discount on Rituals.

over all the biggest disappointment i feel for thousand sons is how meh ahriman is. his +1 to wound is great, but he can only join rubrics which limits what he is boosting with it.  if he was like magnus and had some great personal attack powers it would be fine for buffing himself but he has one shot with a not great power. his best use might be with a unit full of flamers but that will bring with it the trouble of getting them to a opponent. 

on that note there seems to be several things that boost bolters, but nothing targets flamers. 

also for some reason the on disk sorcerers are still infantry not mounted like the other characters on mounts. ohh and they misprinted or defiler las cannon and probably the rhino firing deck.