We March For Macragge!

Damo1701

Greetings fellow warriors of Macragge.

10th Edition has brought some re-evaluating of armies as well as game modes, not to forget some tasty new models.

Like many, I was swinging around chapters like crazy when I decided to pre-order Leviathan. What swung me towards the Ultramarines was the fact I won a Uriel Ventris model from a Twitch stream.  Add to that, the Ultramarines are a chapter I have painted a few models from, but never collected myself.

With that in mind, my primary focus is going to be in the Combat Patrol-sized games using the Leviathan CP initially, with the option to expand, slowly, as and when I get a feel for game length at larger scales.

So, yeah! Greetings one and all!

Welcome to the Fortress of Hera, Brother!

Yes many Space Marine units and combinations are looking really solid in 10th and you can make some good themed lists.

I'm particularly enjoying Assault Marines with a Chaplain at the moment. What a great upgrade.

For you army, well if you've got Ventris, as he's the Captain of the 4th that means he's Master of the Fleet (although grants the ability to a better qualified Marine in a novel, we don't know if it sticks but the Strike Cruiser is essentially the 4th's) so you can theme your list with Drop Pods, Storm Ravens and the like as you see fit.

Or not, take what you like! That's the beauty of the hobby.

Honest Question:  Why do people think Calgar is a beast now?  Very little changed - he generates 5 CP vs 2, but a generic captain's ability to do duplicated 1+CP Strats for free once per battle round will be at LEAST 5CP AND a Repeat Strat.  The Gauntlets gained pistol and Flat D3 in melee - but he also lost his halved incoming damage.  The Victrix took several steps back - they lost their 3++ Storm Shield, and the ability to guard anyone but Marneus (like, say Roboute) - only Marneus gets the 4+++ FNP and then only when the Victrix are still around - all in all a rather difficult chain of events to get to - while gaining MC for their power swords - I'm not seeing any "BIG" changes - he's about the same as he always was with a few minor to moderate tradeoffs. 

53 minutes ago, Tacitus said:

Honest Question:  Why do people think Calgar is a beast now?  Very little changed - he generates 5 CP vs 2, but a generic captain's ability to do duplicated 1+CP Strats for free once per battle round will be at LEAST 5CP AND a Repeat Strat.  The Gauntlets gained pistol and Flat D3 in melee - but he also lost his halved incoming damage.  The Victrix took several steps back - they lost their 3++ Storm Shield, and the ability to guard anyone but Marneus (like, say Roboute) - only Marneus gets the 4+++ FNP and then only when the Victrix are still around - all in all a rather difficult chain of events to get to - while gaining MC for their power swords - I'm not seeing any "BIG" changes - he's about the same as he always was with a few minor to moderate tradeoffs. 

10th edition will be more akin to a return after bowing out at the end of 7th/beginning of 8th.

I chose Calgar and his guards because I've never painted Calgar before, and want to see if I can do a reasonable job on him, and prepare myself for the Leviathan release.

For the time-being, I'll be doing a mixed force of 4th and 1st companies. A Gulliman model is in my future, whether I build and paint him or whether I commission him is still up for debate.

Once Leviathan arrives, the fun will begin, as I deep-dive into just how all these Primaris units fit in with my more traditional 6-2-2 organisation. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how I can bring an Ultramarines force into being.

9 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Him laughing at Precision strikes with a 4+ fnp helps too.

Yeah, I mentioned that - his FNP, Belial's Mini-Lion-Retribution both are in the same boat.  You can't CHOOSE to use it, it pretty much requires your opponent to trigger it.