Guard Index

22 hours ago, jarms48 said:

This is true, I need to check the army roster creation rules again but I wonder if Leontus and TC Demolisher spam would be viable. Having the redundancy of still shooting after death seems quite nice, even if you go second. 

You can run him and 3 TC.

On 6/15/2023 at 8:15 AM, Feral_80 said:

Re: tanks I read a lot of nonsense. They are not bad at all, and they can get to BS 3+ via either Leontus or a Tank Commander. What's not to like?

The fact that there are only 2 ways to buff tanks. One way requires taking a leman russ, which just looks outdated next to a dorn or baneblade imo, so there is no way I'm putting that on the tabletop. And the only other way is through a giant dude on a horse which again, to me personally, looks odd. My big issue is that it's really restrictive in how I can buff a tank force. 

The new upgrade sprue even comes with a tank commander, it is really odd you can't put a tank commander on a dorn. That would be my ideal solution. 

Edited by Subtleknife

I think that is an old prejudice by GW, Tank Commanders have always been restricted to Leman Russes. There were weird ways to circumvent this in 9th but honestly they were never handy and always felt the option to have non-LR commanders was allowed with reluctance. 

However, I do not see that as a big issue since personally I still like the weird, slightly goofy LR design over the Dorn. And all Baneblades are de facto unplayable on a table with standard terrain, you can't literally manoeuvre them anywhere. So let's keep our commanders in our LRs, they are still more than capable rules-wise.

(Of course the Dorn has a tank commander miniature, but in the meaning of the vehicle's own commander: it's not like they are taking decisions holding a democratic vote inside that thing :biggrin: but there is no official miniature for a 'real' tank commander in the meaning of a squadron leader).

As for Leontus: I agree, the miniature and concept are horrible. I made my own count-as: a little, scratchbuilt 4WD command vehicle with a driver, a bodyguard brawler, and an officer. As long as you use the correct base size, you can proxy Leontus with pretty much anything you like. Consider if this solution works for you.

Edited by Feral_80

1 minute ago, Feral_80 said:

As for Leontus: I agree, the miniature and concept are horrible. I made my own count-as: a little, scratchbuilt 4WD command vehicle with a driver, a bodyguard brawler, and a commander. As long as you use the correct base size, you can proxy Leontus with pretty much anything you like.

Yeah that was my idea. I'm thinking of getting a guard commander and model him suitably heroic with a space marine guarding him to represent the increased toughness etc.

46 minutes ago, Subtleknife said:

The fact that there are only 2 ways to buff tanks. One way requires taking a leman russ, which just looks outdated next to a dorn or baneblade imo, so there is no way I'm putting that on the tabletop. And the only other way is through a giant dude on a horse which again, to me personally, looks odd. My big issue is that it's really restrictive in how I can buff a tank force. 

Ironically I feel the opposite. I don't think the Dorn fits Guards aesthetic. Though I agree you should be able to put a TC in any tank. 

2 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

What do people think about castellans getting nerfed to one order?

Its not exactly fantastic:sad:

We are going to be order-starved.  Which I actually like from a fun* POV as it'll hopefully feel like officers on are the scene leading and making tough decisions (as opposed to telling 80 guys to aim extra good every turn).  It seems like players that want to win are going to want Lord Solar for sure.  But i just can't imagine him showing up for a battle with 100 infantrymen and 3 russes.

I don't think i'll be running Cadians.  Krieg are just so much better and you even get an extra special weapon.  I'll run one Infantry Squad to attach Creed to.

ETA: I was shocked to see Armoured Sentinels are 70 points but that's probably about right with a free HK missile and chainsaw.

Edited by Sergeant Bastone

44 minutes ago, SteveAntilles said:

Did anyone notice the Eradicator is D3+6, and not D6+3? Being one of the cheapest Russes too maybe it's not ALL bad?

Did see this, it's cheap, it ignores cover so it might as well be -2AP and it has blast, so against small squads it'll be D3+7 and against ten man squads (common theme in 10th) that's D3+8 shots ignoring cover.

I run a fairly Infantry-heavy list (at last count, 4 squads' worth including Kasrkin in a 1000 pts list), so I'm a bit worried about my AT with plasma and melta. My usual opponent is a mirror match with Guard, and I'm wounding LRBTs on 4s with anything but a Demolisher cannon. God forbid he buys a Rogal Dorn.

Aside from that, I think that we're in a good place rn. 

11 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

What do people think about castellans getting nerfed to one order?

Its not exactly fantastic:sad:

After list building today, I have ended up adding my castellan to a shock troops squad with a command squad and bulgryn body guard. I will use the castellan to boost the squads shooting, give an extra order at 24 inch probably to my sentinels and when I take wounds it will be on him with a 5++ and 4+++!! He’s sacrificial but doing more than a castellan has done for me in 9th Ed. The brick of 27 models is going to be difficult to shift.

lol the tanks are all crazy points, they need a reduction:laugh:

Infantry look decent:yes:

Ogryns appear to be more expensive than bullgryns:laugh:

Free anti tank guns for all is very worrying for vehicles :ermm: 

Edited by Emperor Ming

7 hours ago, Sergeant Bastone said:

I don't think i'll be running Cadians.  Krieg are just so much better and you even get an extra special weapon.  I'll run one Infantry Squad to attach Creed to.

ETA: I was shocked to see Armoured Sentinels are 70 points but that's probably about right with a free HK missile and chainsaw.

Even funnier is that Scout Sentinels are 50. Which are arguably the better choice, because they can buff your entire army against the selected unit.

2 hours ago, jarms48 said:

Even funnier is that Scout Sentinels are 50. Which are arguably the better choice, because they can buff your entire army against the selected unit.

Agree. "Bring back a whole sentinel squad with stratagem" feel like a trap. 210pts for 21 T8 2+ wounds is good price on defensive end, but just 3 lascannon(or whatever cannon) shots per turn is too light on offensive end. Opponent could ignore it if knocked down it to the last model. 

Plasma hazardous overheat becoming flat 3 wounds is annoying, and S8 plasma is no longer "good against everything" choice. If locked at non-charge mode, is a plasma sponson better than heavy bolter?

5 hours ago, Tokugawa said:

Expect to see 3 basilisk 3 manticore in IG lists. 150% cost of a sentinel…just can't refuse.

Basilisks and manticores are HUGELY undercosted.  The winning formula seems to be take 3 of each, use Krieg to screen enemies away from them and pound people with 2+ or 3+ indirect all game.  Doesn't sound super fun, especially for your opponent. 

2 hours ago, Tokugawa said:

Agree. "Bring back a whole sentinel squad with stratagem" feel like a trap. 210pts for 21 T8 2+ wounds is good price on defensive end, but just 3 lascannon(or whatever cannon) shots per turn is too light on offensive end. Opponent could ignore it if knocked down it to the last model. 

Plasma hazardous overheat becoming flat 3 wounds is annoying, and S8 plasma is no longer "good against everything" choice. If locked at non-charge mode, is a plasma sponson better than heavy bolter?

Armoured sentinels do get a free Hunter Killer Missile that rerolls wounds.  And it's a platform that is easy to give orders to.  What's interesting is that you once paid a premium for walkers because they could fight in melee but now a Russ is much better in melee which is stupid.