Guard Index

1 hour ago, sairence said:

Just a note, you can't give enhancements to epic heroes, so no grand strategist for Leontus.

And Cover does work on 3+ saves, but only if the attack has any AP.

So 3+ with cover against AP0 = no effect

3+ with cover against AP-1 or more = effectively ignore a point of AP.

Hey, do you know where it says you cannot use on hero’s? I could not find it in the index, Thanks 

A123DAE4-6436-4C8E-B0FD-28B901E66055.png

34F52F05-524C-45E2-8C13-CE3591FDB083.jpeg

Edited by TCC

9 minutes ago, Trickstick said:

Unfortunately, move - means you can't move for any reason.

ok thanks, do you know if that is written anywhere in the rules or is that how it’s interpreted? (Not that I think moving an aegis defence line will add any value - but it would be funny if you could).

12 minutes ago, TCC said:

Hey, do you know where it says you cannot use on hero’s? I could not find it in the index, Thanks

Core rules, Page 56, Section 5

Epic Heroes cannot be given any
Enhancements.

5 minutes ago, TCC said:

ok thanks, do you know if that is written anywhere in the rules or is that how it’s interpreted? (Not that I think moving an aegis defence line will add any value - but it would be funny if you could).

Core rules, Page 38:

Move (M): This is the speed at which a
model moves across the battlefield. If a
model has a Move of ‘-’ it is unable to move
at all.

15 minutes ago, Trickstick said:

Core rules, Page 56, Section 5

Epic Heroes cannot be given any
Enhancements.

Core rules, Page 38:

Move (M): This is the speed at which a
model moves across the battlefield. If a
model has a Move of ‘-’ it is unable to move
at all.

thank you

So might not be a big deal to anyone else but I have confirmed squads with characters can use taurox primes.

on that note I think I’m going to get a second prime to build with the missile launcher as that one seems to be hands down the best option.

frag profile no AP and only D1 but same S and 2d6 shots instead of d6 shots of the battlecannon.

krak profile better S AP and likely better damage than the battle cannon.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

13 hours ago, Sergeant Bastone said:

The master of ordnance basically does nothing for the Field Ordnance Battery.  He gives Sustained Hits 1 and their special thing is getting Sustained Hits 1 if they remain stationary AND are given an order.

I would actually suggest the lascannon over bombast. 100 points for 4 S14 shots is pretty good. I'd save the MoO for buffing Basilisks and Manticores.

3 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

So might not be a big deal to anyone else but I have confirmed squads with characters can use taurox primes.

on that note I think I’m going to get a second prime to build with the missile launcher as that one seems to be hands down the best option.

frag profile no AP and only D1 but same S and 2d6 shots instead of d6 shots of the battlecannon.

krak profile better S AP and likely better damage than the battle cannon.

Just be aware, that frag missile strenght 8 is almost 100% a typo and will be reduced in the imminent future. So I would not be basing any model purchases or builds on the assumption it keeps that strength.

14 hours ago, Trickstick said:

Just be aware, that frag missile strenght 8 is almost 100% a typo and will be reduced in the imminent future. So I would not be basing any model purchases or builds on the assumption it keeps that strength.

yeah that S8 frag profile might be a typo, but i bet when/if it goes down it ends up equal to the malleus, but those S9 krak missiles combined with the new ACs makes it a potent transport hunter.

8 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

Can you order a unit while its in a transport? that kinda scuppers transports if you cant?

You can't order units in a transport. However, it wouldn't really do anything anyway, as firing deck gives the weapons to the transport to use. You can order the transport and get the buffs to the firing deck guns, but vehicle orders are hard to get. (Edit: I guess ordering units inside would be useful as you could then disembark with them.)

Mechanised orders are quite hurt by the turn sequence too. You need to do orders in the command phase, but you disembark in the movement phase. So you can't use orders on disembarking units. You get the same problem with deepstiking scions, which really hurts.

Edited by Trickstick

19 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

So I wonder how 3 primes loaded with castellan/CSTs would work out.

supported by some scout sentinels and artillery and an exterminator could work decently.

Personally I think the Chimera is a bit lackluster this edition. Taurox and Taurox Prime look like the way to go. Taurox is 20 points cheaper, has an extra 2 inches of movement, same transport capacity now, and can disembark after advancing. Chimera has a decent amount of firepower, but then you have to compare it to the Taurox Prime which has even better firepower and an awesome special rule for Scions. 

7 hours ago, jarms48 said:

Personally I think the Chimera is a bit lackluster this edition. Taurox and Taurox Prime look like the way to go. Taurox is 20 points cheaper, has an extra 2 inches of movement, same transport capacity now, and can disembark after advancing. Chimera has a decent amount of firepower, but then you have to compare it to the Taurox Prime which has even better firepower and an awesome special rule for Scions. 

Yep.

it was already fairly close between the normal taurox and the chimera.

command vehicle and multilasers going to 4 shots i think are the only things that have allowed the chimera to stay relevant.

now that we can get pretty much all of our infantry into a T.prime now the chimera’s only positives are T and command vehicle.

I like Kasrkin for the scout move, taken with the posssible redeploy of Leonitis. I'm interested in their melta mine as a source of mortal wounds. Getting an innate order (if i'm reading it right) is interesting to get maybe FRFSRF (now applied to rapid fire weapons) on hotshot volley guns and plasma guns. Still I worry about such a squad in the overall context of reduced kill power. It's not the point-and-click killer unit from 9th. Additionally, with increased toughness values and reduced plasma and melta efficacy the unit's generalist role appears reduced, at least at first impression. 

I'm not enamored with 24" range demolishers. I could be talked into them. I mean I can see the value, and it might very well steamroll over some armies. I can also imagine such a list getting brutalized by others. The overall reduced kill power touted by GW this edition reads to me as 'the enemy is going to get tangled up in your lines.' To quote the big Lebowski - "this is a problem dude." 

Happy to see artillery back on the menu. 100% believe the nerf bat is coming for them hard just like 9th ed. iron hands and imperial fists. Oddly I'm fascinated by the FOB heavy lascannon. With the price of Lemans being very high, I may go all-infantry. And if so, I'll be needing 50+ lascannons in a list. Maybe FOB makes sense, also w/regiment keyword they are a possible use for the new strat for imperial guard reanimation protocols. Still with a big lack of orders armywide... hitting on a 4+ is only cool in a romantic lore sense, not in a practical gameplay sense.  

I don't see a lot of great sources of mortal/devastating wounds. Shadowsword required? Hard to move a big tank around terrain setups, but gotta have somebody doing the dirty work here. I like the enginseer combo here. 

My big concern with the index presently is how to make the shift from using a lot of generalist roles units in combined arms to now having very specialized weapons on each individual unit. It'll be very hard to be in the exact right place, right time, with orders, and in range. It feels like I should skew hard to infantry or tanks. 

I'm trying the Las-FoBs in a 1k event this weekend, they potentially look decent, and have this odd in between defensive profile, where basic bolters will not be amazing, but proper AT guns are probably a waste. Just try to keep them at range and order +1BS, then you can hit on 3s, rerolling 1s, with the Scout sent nuff.

Don't think the Bombast will be needed, as the Basi and Manti cost almost them same but are better indirect pieces 

3 hours ago, Sergeant Bastone said:

Chimera just has so much more shooting:

2 heavy bolters (or heavy flamers, RIP multilaser)

Heavy stubber A3 RF3

Lasgun array A6 RF6

Hunter Killer missile

Taurox:

Twin-Linked Autocannon

Storm Bolter

But the prime has better shooting than the chimera

plus it has the fire support special rule

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

On 6/16/2023 at 12:07 PM, Feral_80 said:

As for Leontus: I agree, the miniature and concept are horrible. I made my own count-as: a little, scratchbuilt 4WD command vehicle with a driver, a bodyguard brawler, and an officer. As long as you use the correct base size, you can proxy Leontus with pretty much anything you like. Consider if this solution works for you.

On 6/16/2023 at 12:09 PM, Subtleknife said:

Yeah that was my idea. I'm thinking of getting a guard commander and model him suitably heroic with a space marine guarding him to represent the increased toughness etc.

By the way, here is my Leontus-count-as, scratch-built from mostly GW parts. I'll make a suitable base and then try to paint it properly.

20230622_163812.thumb.jpg.c2478a3802d4962657e1d7ea0570924a.jpg

20230622_163830.jpg

Edited by Feral_80