Necrons Index

TrawlingCleaner

So the Silent King has an aura that turns off AP (Also any other modifiers you dislike, but it specifically calls out saves). That's going to cause some rage. Misread that. Never mind. Whew. That was horrifying to think about.

Love the terminator reference, @TrawlingCleaner

Edited by Squark

5 minutes ago, Squark said:

So the Silent King has an aura that turns off AP (Also any other modifiers you dislike, but it specifically calls out saves). That's going to cause some rage.

Love the terminator reference, @TrawlingCleaner

It says the opposit

(excluding modifiers to saving throws)

Edited by Metzombie

Incoming nerf on the Sovereign Coronal which can give +1 to hit to any and all Necron units within 6" as currently worded (including all vehicles and flyers).  Pretty sure they'll rework that to say 'friendly infantry units' count as being lead by a character.

Edited by Bonzi

Mostly good stuff, some terrible stuff really.

A mixed bag but overall reckon I could have a lot of fun with the faction. Great Strategums! Most units are alright or good, with some terrible ones.

Edited by Captain Idaho

34 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

Mostly good stuff, some terrible stuff really.

A mixed bag but overall reckon I could have a lot of fun with the faction. Great Strategums! Most units are alright or good, with some terrible ones.

Anything stand out to you in particular Idaho? I was mostly dissapointed with the Triarch Stalker; right now it's a really attractive support unit with decent shooting, but twin-linked on the heavy gauss is too bad.  Feels like that has a piddly amount of shots now, and giving out ignores cover is a lot more situational than RR1's to hit.  

On the good side, well there's quite a bit! Royal Warden seems like an amazing force multipliar - provides +1 to hit, heavy, assault, and gives battle-shock recovery? Seems pretty great.  Resurrection orbs and other res buffs such as ghost ark, reanimator, all look to give a lot more lasting bonuses than before.  I like it.  The Silent King appears to have lost any representation of the c'tan there, not that it's necessary.  Hands out some significant re-rolls, and has a serious melee profile.  A lot of the rest looks very much just, straightforward, a pretty direct port from 9th stats to 10th ones.  

Edit: I did have to laugh a bit, seeing Imotekh having the exact same melee profile as Astorath for Blood Angels.  Different codexes admittedly, but Astorath stood out to me as unimpressive, turns out he hits identically to the major Necron Overlord figure.  Ah well, Necrons leaders have always been overshadowed by SM ones, some things never change.  

Edited by burningsky25

17 minutes ago, burningsky25 said:

Ah well, Necrons leaders have always been overshadowed by SM ones, some things never change. 

I just started reading through and I've been very impressed by the buffing potential of the Leaders. They're definitely not melee monsters, though with Imotekh taking Helrecht's hand I'm not surprised he's on Astorath level.

Yeah I totally agree - Triarch Stalkers are gar-bage!

Imoteph is junk too really. Compared to someone with a Resurrection orb for sure.

In fact, I'm not impressed with the Special characters for Necrons really at all, though I've not had a good look at the Silent King yet but even Illuminor Szeras hasn't got Lone Operative so he'll die easily.

Same goes for the Catacomb Command Barges. These things just don't have the survivability to compete with enemy fire and not risk being big old targets.

1 hour ago, Captain Idaho said:

Yeah I totally agree - Triarch Stalkers are gar-bage!

Imoteph is junk too really. Compared to someone with a Resurrection orb for sure.

In fact, I'm not impressed with the Special characters for Necrons really at all, though I've not had a good look at the Silent King yet but even Illuminor Szeras hasn't got Lone Operative so he'll die easily.

Same goes for the Catacomb Command Barges. These things just don't have the survivability to compete with enemy fire and not risk being big old targets.

Szeras gets Lone Operative as long as he's with 3" of a Necron unit, much like primarchs do. The CCB is out of luck, though.

CCB can't be wounded on better than a 4+ without Strength 16 antitank, (and there caps at 3+ to wound) and got its 4+ invul back. It's a bit hardier than last edition, IMO. We'll have to see how points shake out, but as I said down in the tombs, I don't see a single unit I would actively dislike playing. 

4 minutes ago, Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch said:

CCB can't be wounded on better than a 4+ without Strength 16 antitank, (and there caps at 3+ to wound) and got its 4+ invul back. It's a bit hardier than last edition, IMO. We'll have to see how points shake out, but as I said down in the tombs, I don't see a single unit I would actively dislike playing. 

I didn't spot the invulnerable. That helps. The CCB has to deal with the fact anyone who doesn't want to be curbstomped has to come loaded for bear with enough AT to tackle land raiders, monoliths, and above all, Knights.

Of course, if you bring some Doomstalkers or a Monolith along with the CCB, your opponent at least has choices to make.

Sezaras also gets a 4+ FnP save so he's decently survivable and his buff that reduces AP attacks against a battle line unit is decent in an edition where AP has been reduced across the board.

That Catacomb barge is probably a touch frail to be used as a frontline unit, but quantum shielding reducing most heavy attacks to only wounding on a 4+ (unless the gun is S 16) and then a 3+, 4++ on top of that means it's a risk to shoot big guns at him.  50% chance to wound and a 50% chance he shrugs it means poor returns for a lot of low volume antitank shots.  That's not terrible (point cost depending).  I see him as a really solid backline buff character with the Sovereign Coronal letting him lift several units and get a res orb off on the unit that needs it the most.

27 minutes ago, Bonzi said:

Sezaras also gets a 4+ FnP save so he's decently survivable and his buff that reduces AP attacks against a battle line unit is decent in an edition where AP has been reduced across the board.

That Catacomb barge is probably a touch frail to be used as a frontline unit, but quantum shielding reducing most heavy attacks to only wounding on a 4+ (unless the gun is S 16) and then a 3+, 4++ on top of that means it's a risk to shoot big guns at him.  50% chance to wound and a 50% chance he shrugs it means poor returns for a lot of low volume antitank shots.  That's not terrible (point cost depending).  I see him as a really solid backline buff character with the Sovereign Coronal letting him lift several units and get a res orb off on the unit that needs it the most.

Alternatively, it's also an excellent choice for the sempiternal weave, assuming it isn't errata'd to infantry only.

Some good stuff here, except those unfortunate models that have twin linked weapons. My tomb blades... And wow, the Triarch Stalker took some hits didn't it.  

On the bright side, the Plasmancers and Royalwardens look like a good reason for your enemies to bring snipers. In fact a lot of the Mancers look good and bring some nice buffs to Crons. You can stack buffs to bring back an absurd amount of warriors per turn, like over twenty. 

Oh and exploding Scarabs are hilarious. 

Edited by Stupidity

34 minutes ago, Stupidity said:

Some good stuff here, except those unfortunate models that have twin linked weapons. My tomb blades... And wow, the Triarch Stalker took some hits didn't it.  

On the bright side, the Plasmancers and Royalwardens look like a good reason for your enemies to bring snipers. In fact a lot of the Mancers look good and bring some nice buffs to Crons. You can stack buffs to bring back an absurd amount of warriors per turn, like over twenty. 

Oh and exploding Scarabs are hilarious. 

To be fair, exploding scarabs are one of my favourite things about the index, aside from gotcha moments, it should never have been a strat in 9th Edition. 

I have 15 pages left to read and my eyes feel like glass, so here's the notes so far.

Orikan - Immortals for 4++, the 6 atks at Str12 which convert all wound results to d3 mortals is a nice anti-character or MSU Terminator surprise. Cryptek, so can combo with a RW or Noble

Imotekh is CP generation, but the Overlord gets a Strat for 0CP and can repeat a used strat

Anrakyr - meta-dependent though collectively giving +1 to hit and wound is quite nice for a big squad of Immortals.

Oby - At first I read Oby as giving the whole unit 4+FnP, but it's just Zahndrekh. First First could be quite useful for Lychguard, but I think Oby should stay home unless you have to take him to take Zahndrekh. 

Nemesor Zahndrekh - I think the winner is Immortals (just make sure your have another character pair and some Lychguard to tackle real melee threats). Immortals with Tesla benefit from 3-6 results and if you toss in a Plasmamancer, you could be proc'ing Lethal Hits and Sustained Hits on 5+. If he's too expensive, the buff is not worth having him in such a vulnerable unit. He also can Vect a strat (increase it's cost by 1 CP for the rest of the game after it is used).

Szeras - Dare I say, must take? Hide him where he can Aura as many Battleline units in cover that you can. In cover, Warriors go to 3+Save against AP0 and -1, and Immortals are 3+Save against AP0, AP-1 and AP-2. Meanwhile, the weapons all benefit from additional -1AP. And this is on top of any other buffs they get from Leaders.

Trazyn is the big loser. He gives his unit sticky objectives - okay, sure, but sitting on objectives is why Warriors exist. The Empathic Obliterator is now Str7 AP0, 'nuff said. Surrogate Hosts is interesting, but it's best use is to replace an at-one-wound character with a fully-healed Trazyn once he's down to one wound; but it's hard to say if Trazyn does enough for this to really be worth it.

Royal Warden, he's great and I hope he's not over-pointed because he doesn't have an Invulnerable. For that reason, put him in a unit of Immortals with Orikan. I'd go Gauss for the additional AP because Heavy if you want stay still and touch someone beyond 18" and Assault if you want to move forward (Tesla already has Assault). Once per battle, he can remove Battle-shock from a unit with 12" for even more utility.

Skorpekh Lord is a Leader! Hahaha! Does some MW on the charge, okay. . Lethal Hits for him and his unit with a good number of attacks and the plasmacyte can be burned to give them Devastating Wounds for a phase. He doesn't hit as hard in melee against light infantry (6 Atk vs 8 for the claw), but the Harvester has scaled its Str up for 10th and now hits on 2+. The Annihilator went from 2-6 (2d3) Blast to 2-4 (2Atks, RF2) and I don't care about his shooting he's a Skorpekh Lord.

Lokhust Lord probably best to go with Heavy Destroyers, but works well with normal Lokhust too. Gives 5+ Critical Hit which is great for Sustained Hits on the 6Atk Enmitic Exterminators. Also gives full rerolls (hit and wound!) against units below Half-Strength. The Resurrection Orb (proc's Ressurectiuon Protocols in both Command Phases) is a must for those chonky 3W and 4W models. 

Lord is a Resurrection Orb (seriously, he's really not worth it without one) and +1 Move. The value of its abiilty to use strats on its unit when Battle-shocked is hard to judge. Personally, I'd rather have an Epic Hero giving an all the time buff to a unit and wouldn't include him unless he's dirt cheap and I ran out of Epic (Noble) Heros, the obligatory Overlord, three Royal Wardens (with three Battle-shock removals to go with them), and three Catacomb Command Barges.

Catacomb Command Barge has some nice potential. It's a rare Aura source, but also not a Leader or Lone Operative. Basically a light tank with T8, W9, and 3+Sv. The nice thing is Advanced Quantum Shields means most anti-tank weapons won't do better than a 4+ to wound (and Str16 or higher will require  a 3+ to wound). Put it next to Canoptek Spyders and a Technomancer for 6+FnP and an extra d3 wounds healed per turn. The aura gives a +1 boost to OC for all your units, 'nuff said. It's Res Orb works differently because it's not a leader. You can pick one Infantry or Mounted (i.e. Tomb Blades and Lokhust-types) unit during the opponent's Command Phase. 

Overlord has the useful "use a strat even if it's been used and for 0 CP" ability for his unit. This does not work for multiple Overlords because it's use is keyed off the ability. Can replace his Tachyon Arrow with a Res Orb. The arrow got a glow up, but it's still one use and needs a 3+ to wound most things you'd want to shoot it at. Seriously, take the Orb. Also has -1 damage, so that's nice against snipers.

Technomancer can be a mobile combat medic wiht the Canoptek Cloak (10' move, Fly, Lone Operative) and its d3 heal which works on models, not units. Run around healing Precision-ed characters, vehicles, C'tan, or other valuable multi-wound things like Heavy Destroyers. Note, he doesn't lose Leadership, so you can have the Cloak and still be in a unit, gaining the benefit of LO when the bodyguards die. Why do that? He gives his unit 5+FnP. If you are running Canopteks, you can have a Control Node for a 6" +1 to hit aura. Useful if you are running CCBs with Canoptek Spyders (see above).

Psychomancer suffers from copy-and-paste syndrom. Nightmare Shroud obvisouly intended to make Ld harder to use, not easier. Until more games under the belt, hard to judge his utility of forcing a Battle-shock test. Definitely doesn't have the upfront utility of other Cryptek options.

Speaking of upfront utility, the Chronomancer. He will make a unit of Gauss Immortals very annoying. +1 to hit for his unit, -1 to hit against them, and the can Fire-and-Fade (move after shooting). Unlike other Crypteks, I think he does fine in a unit alone.

Plasmancer has okay shooting and some extra damage against larger units from Living Lightning. It's all 18" range which goes well with Tesla Immortals... who also really benefit from him giving them 5+ Critical Hits for their Sustained Hits 2.

Warriors are as previewed. They can go up to squads of 20 and the additional d3+3 back on an objective at the end of your opponent's Command Phase makes putting a Command Barge nearby a definite option... or a Lord in the unit if he's cheap, I guess. They have a role (hold your objectives) distinct from being "lower stat, chaff battleline option".

Immortals are your bread-and-butter "take an objective" battleline unit. They get full Wound rerolls against targetks on an objective (reroll 1s, otherwise). Tesla has Assault to make up for the 6" range difference, but Gauss has AP-1 and Lethal Hits. I'll do the math later. 

Canoptek Reanimator is interesting. It's only T6 3+Sv, 6W, but has 4+FnP. I think it makes sense to think about in context. Are there enough other targets to draw anti-tank? Are there enough infantry to draw anti-infantry? If yes, then I think the Reanimator may be annoying enough to kill  that it may not draw fire. A squad of Warriors or Immortals nearby with a Technomancer can increase it's 6 (it has 2 beams) shots to BS3+ while it helps heal up all Necrons within 12".

Hexmark Destroyer is... good? Like, not great, but good for a purpose (assuming he's not overpointed for it). The pistols have Precision and with 6A 6S -2AP and 1D, he could take out a lot of non-Marine characters. They're 18" range, but that's good enough for his Lone Operative to kick in. And he can Deep Strike into position to help make it happen. Then on their turn, if the enemy moves closer, he activates Overwatch for free (and doesn't proc it as used) while hitting on unmodified 2+ rolls. Yeah, that'd finish off most characters. That he can shoot enemies after they shoot nearby Necron units is just icing on the cake. I could see one being a must take if they're 60-80 points.

Lychguard are everything you want from them. Stats are pretty much the same, but they traded their 2+Sv for -1 to wound rolls when there's a Noble in the unit... and there should be. The right combination of characters makes them quite resilient.

Deathmarks are very similar to their old role. The one difference is you can't Deep Strike them and then shoot when your opponent brings in a unit. Rapid Ingress works after Reinforcement so you can't replicate it with that either. Still, they're Precision snipers with Heavy 3+BS 5S -2AP 2D rifles. Could definitely have a place depending how your local meta shakes out.

Flayed Ones need some love in my opinion. They have Infiltrate (and Stealth) for early engagement, but their special rule only kicks in against Below Half-Strength.  They won't be doing much against heavy infantry, but 4A 4S -1AP and twin-linked will mulch light infantry. Too bad you have to slow roll them until the Flesh Hunger kicks in. The auto Critical Hit on hit is nice, but I think it could have been graduated to have 5+ Crit Hit on a unit Below Starting-Strength.

Cryptothralls help your Crypteks live longer by giving them 4+FnP. They also attack, possibly on death... sure, why not. More wounds in a bodyguard unit is also nice (they count as part of any unit the Cryptek joins).

Skorpekh Destroyers are now the anti-heavy infantry option. They got Vanguard Vetted in a good way. 4A 3+WS 7S -2AP 2D weapons across the board. Toss in PoTHV strat for +1S and additional -1AP (because they have a Skorpekh Lord with them, right?) and watch Marine bodies go flyng. In my opinion, you'll want to proc the Plasmacyte early for Devastating Wounds while you have as many attacks as possible. Though with a Reanimator or CCB w/ResOrb nearby for a Resurrection Orb....

Triarch Stalker is now a light tank in terms of stats, 8T 3+Sv and 12W. It lost trans-human but its invul improved to 4++. 18" range on the Particle Shredder synergizes well with Tesla Immortals, to remove Cover (b/c that is important against Tesla) from light infantry. It doesn't have a base, so the Immortals can scurry about its legs. The only other use I can see is Strategic Reserves; walk onto the board near a monster or tank, pop PotCT and hit them with a Heat Ray at melta range that can reroll wounds.

The Deceiver reliably puts out 2MW on a character with a 25" threat range, and lets you redeploy three units (but before you know who gets first turn). He also mulches heavy infantry with his Golden Fists. Only a 4+Sv, but with 11T low AP weapons aren't a real issue and you'll be using 4++ almost all the time; necrodermis halving the damage. Yeah, he's good if pointed right.

Oh, you wanted a general death-dealer? Nightbringer is here. He's pretty no-frills, just has solid profiles. Yeah, he's good if pointed right. Same defensive and point issues as the Deceiver.

Void Dragon is a slightly worse version of Nightbringer, unless vehicles are involved. Then, oh dear, those poor vehicles. Same defensive and point issues as the Deceiver.

Transcendent C'tan have lost their bag of tricks, but have become a nuisance. They're basically a teleporting tank statline with weapons for taking out heavy infantry MSU and light tanks. Yeesh.

Quick note - Technomancers, Reanimators, and CCB Res Orb all work on Shards/C'tan. PotUL is probably not meant to work on single model units.

Spyders are vehicles, but with a statline more appropriate for super-heavy infantry, plus they can be taken in units of up to 2. They're more a utility unit than ever. They revive a Scarab Swarm models, they can give 6+FnP to vehicles with 6", they can give 4+FnP vs Psychic Attacks to everyone within 6". I suspect it will get fixed soon, but as it currently stands, you can stack all their wargear options.

Scarab Swarms are now merry suicide bombers, though restricted to one model per Fight Phase. Reducing OC from enemy units in engagement range makes them a nice choice to run alongside your objective grabbing units.

If Skorpekh Destroyers are now the anti-heavy infantry option, Ophydian Destroyers are now the anti-medium and anti-light infantry option. Their weapons are now all 5A 3+WS, 4S, -2AP, and 2D. There's currently no character who can join them and I don't think they're worth spending your enhancement on the Sovereign Coronal. As such, I think they need to pointed on the assumption they won't be getting strat buffs. The remove-and-deep-strike is really only a mobility buff, but they don't have much they can do with it other than body-block or sit on an empty objective. Though the latter could be quite nice if your opponent is relying on sticky objectives.

Tomb Blades analysis really suffers from not knowing point costs. They have too many combinations to consider but boil down to: fast-moving anti-infantry.

Triarch Praetorians, oh how I wanted to the Rod to be good. It's just not as good as the Particle Caster and Voidblade. The VB gets an extra attack and one less damage, which is compensated for by the PC being Pistol 3A 2+BS with DevWounds and the same range as the RoC which at range is 1A 3+BS which negatively compensates for its extra 2AP and one damage. It'd be different if they could Fall Back, Shoot, and/or Charge, but they can just Fall Back and Charge. Unless the match up is unfavorable, stay in combat and use the Pistols. The Charge reroll is a nice quality of life, but they have nothing to combo it with to Charge out of Deepstrike.

Canoptek Wraiths are... still Beasts? Huh, yeah, cool against all the Anti-Vehicle and Anti-Monster out there. Maybe it'll get errata'd or maybe it's because they're only 6T and 3W and were Beasts in 9th.  They're not as fast, they can't shoot & charge when they Fall Back, they can't move through terrain but gained Fly (a downgrade because of Anti-Fly weapons), but they can do MW by moving through a unit statistically 3 for a unit of 6 Wraiths). I'll be okay with the changes if they're pointed right.

Annihilation Barge is a light tank profile  that can toss out MW, but it's not very reliable at doing so. The big draw is still the guns. But that's kind of crap because the twin Tesla Destructor doesn't know what it wants to be. Sustained Hits 1, Twin-Linked 6A 8S, and 2D, but its 0AP. It lost 4 attacks to move from wounding 4T models on a 3+ to a 2+ with rerolls... while still remaining 0AP. Maybe for killing Ogryns? Are there a plethora of units with 6-8 T and rely on a 4++ or a FnP instead of a good armor save?

Doomsday Ark, you are so close to being good. Can you imagine if Overwhelming Obliteration gave it D3+3 attacks instead of DevWounds? As it is, I think D6+1 attacks is still too swingy when firing at tanks. Blast is cool, but you have so many other options for killing large units.

Lokhust Destroyers are slightly nerfed. They went from 6S -3AP to 5S -2AP, though the D3D is now 2D. It's the sort of alteration I've come to expect as a "lower lethality" fix for 10th.

Heavy Destroyers, if pointed right, will fly off shelves to replace peoples janky looking Lokhust Destroyers. They have better break points for anti-infantry (6A 6S -1AP is near ideal for killing 3T 5+Sv models) and they're the only (non-C'tan) option for 14S when they go anti-tank/monster.

You'll want to be very careful for Anti-Fly DevWounds as many of your vehicles and your Heavy Lokhusts are all Fly.

Doomsday blaster on the Canoptek Doomstalker is a viable alternative to the Doomsday Ark, depending on points.

Ghost Arks are for getting Warriors onto midfield objectives faster and then sticking around to give them more Reanimation Protocol uses? Yes, please!

Doom Scythe has a wonderful joke of a special rule for its death ray. It's an anti-tank/monster statline, but it can suppress infantry or they may take a few extra hits. Oh, and its twin tesla destructor is one less strength than the Annihilation Barge, because... reasons?

Night Scythes can transport 1 Infantry unit... like Skorpekhs and a Skorpekh Lord! Ahahahaha! Don't mind me, just moving 20+" to drop off this unit where you can't see them so they can charge you next turn unless you change your plans.

Obelisk is weird. I can see the intent (create a no-fly zone), but the rules aren't great at supporting it. Like, if Gravitic Pulse were a 6" aura and it had another rule for the 18" targeted version, that would be good. 24 Anti-Fly 4+ shots are nothing to sneeze at through.

Tesseract Vault, ah here are the weird C'tan powers. Time's Arrow, with 1A, is not cutting the mustard compared to the other options. Needing a 2+ then a 4+ to pull it off is not worth the risk compared to a D6+3A 10S -3AP 3D Blast and Indirect Fire option.

Monolith.... Particle Whip stopped splitting the difference and is now lower strength than the Death Rays. It's dedicated anti-heavy infantry, while the Death Rays got the 12S glow up to keep pace as an anti-heavy tank weapon. Otherwise, still does Monolith things.

Silent King is no longer must-take, but could still be quite useful. Staff of Stars will wipe out Mortar Squads and hurt Desolation Squads while three Annihilator Beams will put the hurt on any big gribbly or heavy tank. I'm not as excited about his Triarch options. I imagine they are all useful, but more situationally depending on the match up.

Edited by jaxom

I wanted a speedpaint Incursion 1000 pts army (since the one i've been using since 8th ed is completely different now), was looking at Necrons.  I really needed an overview on the basic fundamentals and Brother Jaxom laid out everything in 1 post.  Thanks, Brother.

I have to say, with a 4+ Feel No Pain, the Catacomb Command Barge looks good and can survive, which is curious as I think without it, the thing just can't survive concerted death dealing.

I stand by the Triarch Stalker though... the thing seems so meagre.

9 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

I have to say, with a 4+ Feel No Pain, the Catacomb Command Barge looks good and can survive, which is curious as I think without it, the thing just can't survive concerted death dealing.

I stand by the Triarch Stalker though... the thing seems so meagre.

The Stalker is a bit meh I agree. Doesn't do enough.

There's quite a bit I'm excited to try in this index though to be fair. Not sure how big blocks of warriors will fare between the new version of blast vs reanimation. A res orb nearby seems a must.

Skorpekhs were my go-to in 9th. While I prefer the way the plasmacyte works now, the destroyers do seem toned down quite a bit. Lokhust look better, but I can't bring myself to buy those old models. The heavies will definitely be in my list though.

Also the reanimator might be good now? Please? I love the little fella so it'll be nice to use him without it feeling a waste.

Which also goes for my Hexmark. Boy am I looking forward to using him now!