Drukhari Index

TrawlingCleaner

Scourges getting to keep four of the same gun is good.

Complete lack of Assault Ramps is baffling.

Voidraven bomb…is it even worth risking a flyover with it? Super random and still only once per game.

I love Mandrake’s teleport ability. And Talos permanently empowering itself if it destroys a unit is funny.

Oh well. I committed to playing Drukhari for the first year of Xth so will have to see how things go. :ph34r:

Edited by Zoatibix

Heatlances are nuts now, S14?! They're all only one shot but a sneaky couple of Heatlances in either Talos units or Reavers will be super handy. 4 in a unit of Scourges will melt things

Cluster Caltrops definitely seems like the play for Reavers, just jump over units, do MW and reroll a couple of failed MW

Archons keep their 2+ non-rerollable invuln which is cool, they can only go in Courts of the Archon and Kabalites which is a shame, being able to go in a unit of Incubi would've been cool.

Courts are a bit odd. Basically they can join a Kabalite squad if an Archon has already joined the unit. Cool right? Except Raiders are 11 slots and Kabalites are 10 man units. So you'd have to:

Declare that you're putting 1 unit of 10 Kabalites into a Venom to break the unit up into 2 5 mans

Then put the Archon in the 5 man squad, then the Court in the 5 man squad to fit them all in a Raider

Very odd!

Cronos work as a great PT refund machine, not a huge amount else

Drazhar and Incubi are almost manadatory for some combat punch as Talos can do some work but Wyches' days may be done

Grotesques seem pretty good into power armour

Hellions are still looking great, even just to be a harrassing unit

Mandrakes still look great, Infiltrators, Stealth and still got their DW on Baleblast

I can't see the use/point of Disintergrator Cannons to be honest, maybe if they had more shots or Lethal Hits or something but as it is, it does what everything else in the army excels at: killing infantry

Poor Wyches :laugh:

You either need the Succubus in the unit for Sustained Hits or Lelith for Fights First, +1S and AP but even then, they're really going to struggle into most targets

You definitely need Raiders, Ravagers, Talos, Dark Lances, Heat Lances and Haywire to do all of the heavy lifting.

I'm really looking forward to figuring the army out, as it stands they look very Glass-y and less Cannon-y :sweat:

As I feared Kabalites are now units of 10 with max 1 blaster and/or shredder.

Wyches have been gutted to a bunch of s3 attacks, no combat drugs or wych weapons (Units of 10 too).

Incubi's klaive is down to s4 yet demiklaives are also s4, hope this is an error.

Court of the Archon now only 1 of each model type, could this mean a new kit in the future?

Heat Lance looking spicy, Scourge's free fire'n'fade is great, Mandrakes get a strength boost, Talos empowerment going to be handy.

Need to get some games in to see how it all pans out.

Things I like in this index:

Lelith - The amount of attacks with sustained hits 2, anti infantry 2+, buffs wyches (fights first,+1S,+1AP)

Scourges - Heat Lances all the time + fire and fade

Heat Lances - S14, -4, D6, Melta 3, Assault, Heavy

Talos - 2x5 attacks, S7, -1, D2  The gauntlet seems really good too once empowered. (The Injector seems to miss something :huh:)

Splinter weapons - Anti infantry 3+, Yes, please!

The rest seems okay, but... uninspired?! :mellow:

Edited by hierojin
positivity

9 minutes ago, Ming the Merciless said:

I think Talos can only use one weapon in cc unless they have an ichor injector (extra attacks)?

Yes. You pick one weapon to attack with, can can then make [Extra Attacks] with weapons with that rule. 

Someone had a really bad game against the 9e super-succubus, apparently. Not that it's unusual for this edition, but not being able to take an agonizer on the model that comes stock with one is funny (especially since they limited the Archon to the huskblade specifically!)

Really seems like they forgot about it, though, since Kabalites and Wracks still get their wargear.

Wyches look alright defensively, but without Lelith or D2 are basically chaff mowers (I guess Incubi are there to deal with MEQ).

Plenty of good stuff overall, though.

The way its worded and bullet pointed out, to me, means that Kabalites, in a squad of 10, can take one of every special/heavy weapon option they have.
image.png.09c12ff75cd6443ae28370cb69086d63.png
So you can have a 10 man squad with all 4 of these weapons in it.

its not great but its something. Better than Wyches at least.

Edited by Slips

Yes, that’s my reading of it, too. 

I just looked through the Harlequin cards. They also seem to have lost Charge and Assault (CAA?)* along with the ability to assault out of a moving open-topped transport.

Have I missed something?

*barring one unit accompanying a Shadowseer

On 6/15/2023 at 2:19 PM, Slips said:

So you can have a 10 man squad with all 4 of these weapons in it.

The wording is very similar on Wracks, except it's per 5... so 10 wracks can take 2 of each weapon? Makes them pretty wild snipers just with double ossefactor double hexrifle. Heck, 5 in venom with ossefactor/hexrifle is not a bad shout. I'm beginning to suspect this is not the intent...

Otherwise yea - RIP wyches pretty much for me.

List for this evening: wish me luck... from PAIN!

Archon - Art of Pain + Court + 5 Kab + Raider

5 Kab remainder + Venom

Haemo + 10 wracks + Raider

10 Kabalites + Raider

1x5 Incubi + Venom

2x5 Scourges (4DL + 4 Blasters)

2x5 Hellions

2x Ravager (3DL each)

1x10 Voidscarred (funsies! Probably not as good as 2x5 Mandrakes, but I finished painting them a month ago and they've neverseen the table in their true form)

EDIT / Game report:

Yep - works good!

Kabalite with double heavy/double special is a treat after all this time. Dark Lance in a venom is tops. That plus 3+ anti-infantry makes everyone feel like Trueborn.

Game was very close, so close that we were unsure who won due to not knowing the cap on secondary points any more. It's 30, right?

If it was capped at 30 I won by 2, if not, I lost by 4 lol.

Lance Scourges are pure win. Blaster ones a bit less so - gonna convert a couple at least to heat lances so they don't bounce of heavy armour completely... Moving after shooting is a nifty 'move 6 and still hit on 3s' effect to close on objectives without lances going to 4+.

Hellions got blazed off the board before dying, but soaked fire as expected.

Wracks nuked 6 dominions and then ate Morvenn Vahl to the face. Still a great unit.

Court + Kabs is still pretty darn dense to chew through if you can roll 6+ invulns.

Voidscarred just mince sisters: killed about 20 and the Canoness they marked. Reserved them - Scouting infantry is not what you need from them... Maybe if you just took a Battleline shooty version instead of the melee Voidscarred. Nice little action monkey that can play bully on most chaffe and your weaker flimsier battleline units.

Incubi are fine - didn't get into a great target but held a Castigator off an objective for 3 turns...

Cheers,

The Good Doctor

Edited by Dr. Clock

First game of 10th today against Tyranids and... how on Earth do we kill big monsters?

Three Dark Lances from a Ravager, one from a squad of Warriors, four Heat Lances from Scourges and another two from Reavers. Power from Pain on everything.

Eight wounds.

Yes, we were playing 1k, yes, my list was more "try a bit of everything" but I would have thought ten assorted Lances would be enough to deal with a big bug.

First spin today, 1k of kabal/mercs vs Dark Angels;

New <fly> rules and reduced movement on transports significantly reduce the army's ability to outmanouvre threats. Losing the 5++ becomes a major blow when you don't have the advantage of mobility.

Incubi are far from being elite killers, 3+ WS is offset by pfp but s4 ap -2 is very swingy against power armoured marines and plain weak against bikers and terminators. Drazhar can't be everywhere at once to carry them (he's still great).

Splinter cannon sustained hits and 3+ anti infantry is nice, wounding bikes/mounted not so much. Ease of getting benefit of cover sadly meant ap-1 did'nt count for much.

Archon needs to be on foot to be of any real benefit as it's abilities and enhancements won't work whilst embarked on a transport.

Biggest issue was dealing with <mounted> both in shooting and combat. Lances felt like overkill and Archon/Incubi struggle to cause wounds. Opportunity for a disintegrator Ravager to shine?

7 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Biggest issue was dealing with <mounted> both in shooting and combat. Lances felt like overkill and Archon/Incubi struggle to cause wounds. Opportunity for a disintegrator Ravager to shine?

I have been wondering what the point of Disintergrators are to be honest, I think you're right in that they're probably our "Mounted" killers. Dark Lances, Heat Lances and Haywire deal with Vehicles and Monsters pretty well, maybe it's Shredders, Blasters and Dissies for Mounted?

10 hours ago, ServoBadger said:

Yes, we were playing 1k, yes, my list was more "try a bit of everything" but I would have thought ten assorted Lances would be enough to deal with a big bug.

In all fairness it should have been. Statistically you would expect to deal around 16 wounds to a Big Bug with that firepower, even before power from pain. That should be enough to delete just about anything. Sometimes the dice just go cold though.

Putting aside my bafflement that the Wyche Hekatrix doesn’t get the option of a melee weapon upgrade when the Kabalite Sybarite does…

The nerf to fly really hurts the feel of the army for me. Manoeuvre warfare is apparently all the rage IRL and it used to be something we excelled at. 

Even using some ~6” tall terrain I am finding it just as effective to go around the building. In some cases I haven’t been able to get over it, and I am obviously much slower than I would be were I able to just move across it.

Which Infantry do for Ruins, woods and <2” high obstacles. So it’s troublesome to boost over the remains of a two storey building but infantry can skate over the shattered, shifting, uneven rubble of said ruins?

I did get to nuke a unit of Marines with my VR’s D-scythes. Gods that was satisfying. :devil:

23 hours ago, Karhedron said:

In all fairness it should have been. Statistically you would expect to deal around 16 wounds to a Big Bug with that firepower, even before power from pain. That should be enough to delete just about anything. Sometimes the dice just go cold though.

It was the 5+ FNP for the Rapid Regeneration strat within synapse range that really made things difficult.

7 minutes ago, ServoBadger said:

It was the 5+ FNP for the Rapid Regeneration strat within synapse range that really made things difficult.

I haven't faced Nids yet so I don't know all their tricks but that sounds an annoying one.

The best I can offer is to stop shooting a unit once he plays that strat or you are almost halving your firepower. Shoot your units with individual heavy weapons one at a time to try and bait out the stratagem. As soon as he plays it, switch the rest of your heavy weapons to a different target. Not always practical as there will be times when you really need to kill a specific target but it is about the best work-around I can think of.

I've been playing around with lists and seeing what things work.

Kabalites being able to take all 4 special/heavy weapons plus the Venom splitting units could make for a cool set up. My thought was: 2 Kabalite squads with their 2 specials and heavies + 1 Raider and 2 Venoms. Splitting both squads with the Venoms you:

Put the Splinter cannon, Shredder and 3 rifles into both Venoms, these are your Anti-Infantry Squads

Put the Dark Lance, Blaster and 3 rifles into the Raider for 2 Dark Lances, 2 Blasters and 6 Rifles + the front Lance, this is your Anti-everything else Raider

You'd want to stick a Pain Token onto the Raider most turns and you could fling a Venom out to make central objectives sticky before Strike and Fading them back if you needed to. The only downside is if the Raider pops you then have 2 Kabalite units instead of 1

I'm doing something similar but with the blaster, shredder, and sybarite in Venoms as they're both 18" range and more likely to be in the mix claiming objectives and dealing with screens. The Raider effectively becomes an objective tagging triple lance ravager with two extra splinter cannons.

Edited by Ming the Merciless

• 2 weeks later...

Played Thousand Sons today with a spammy list of  2 Archons, 6 Kabalite squads, 6 Venoms, 3 Raiders, 3 Ravagers, 1 Cronos. Overwhelming firepower and sacrificial road blocks won me the game. Is this what it feels like to play as Tau?

Pro tip: Watch out for overwatching torrent equipped units...

I have fought two battles yesterday with my Drukhari. It was two games, 1000 points, 

My list was as follows; Archon with The Art of Pain, Succubus, 10x Kabalite Warriors (blaster, shredder), 10x Wyches, 2x Raider with Dark Lance, 1x Ravager with Dark Lances, 2x Reavers with Heat Lance, Agoniser and Caltrops, 1x Venom, 1x Incubi. 

I have fought in the first game against the Daemons of Nurgle, which I won by outscoring, thanks to my mobility and the second game was against the Tyranids, which I have lost for a point (should have been more careful with my positioning for the last turn scoring...). 

So far I have observed the following. The Drukhari are now a shooting army which does some melee and only goes in melee when you can ensure the kill. I have charged a horde of Termagaunts with my Incubi and plenty of stuff with my Wyches but with no innate bonus to strength or to wound (Twin-Linked would have been nice on the Wyches) I felt very weak in combat. 

On the other side the Dark Lances are a threat and a Ravager with a Pain Token is very dangerous. It is also very important to check the Anti-Infantry rule on the splinter weapons since only some unit had the infantry keyword in both the Tyranids and Daemons army. 

On the argument of the Pain Tokes, I like the mechanic but I had to use it mostly in the shooting phase. It is a good mechanic but since my Archon died to a precision shot from the Zoanthropes on turn 2 I struggled to gain enough momentum to gain more tokens. The Tyranids countered this well with their 3d6 roll on battle shock and the daemons fared also well with their bonus of +1. I ended the game against the Tyranids with 3 tokens which came too late to be of any use. I really liked the ability of the Succubus which allowed me to Fight First with her unit when empowered which allowed me to kill a Hive Tyrant before it stroke. 

So main takes from these two games are: 

- The Drukhari now play the shooting game and play it well. 

- Wyches and Incubi are mop up units and should touch the ground only when they can reliably kill an unit. 

- The Drukhari are very fragile and our saves are sub-par. Cover helps some but once the infantry touches the ground it is in grave danger.

- The Drukhari characters are support pieces, you cannot place them in combat and expect them to kill something on their own. 

- The Drukhari must go for the objectives, and chance kills, anything else is bad form (and extremely dangerous to our fragile units)

Overall I am pretty happy with the current iteration of the Drukhari. I am a bit disappointed with my characters since they used to be the nastiest killers I have ever fielded in 40k, but overall I love this army's ability to shoot well, score reliably and potentially snowball. It is a high risk high reward army, but every single Pain Token must be spent in the most efficient way possible. This means that we must ensure kills by killing weakened units or easy targets, we must force causalities to force battle shock tests and we must use our Dark Lances to their maximum effect. This also means that melee is an option but only in extremely favorable conditions.   

I've still only played the one game but I have a question for those who've played more - it seems like once a model gets above a certain toughness, save and wounds, there's no point trying to kill it with what we have available?

I ran some numbers against a Tyrannofex (T12, W16, Sv2+, -1D) and I get an average of 18 Dark Lance shots to kill it assuming no cover and no FNP, or 27 Dark Lance shots with 5+ FNP.

Even if I bring 27 Dark Lances, that doesn't seem like a good trade and it seems that I'd be better not even trying to kill something like that.

Am I right? And if so, what's the break point at which it's not worth trying to kill a unit?

Edited by ServoBadger

Well I am of the opinion that we have a limited number of high strength shots and therefore we must prioritize the targets we select to shoot. In my 1000 points game against the Tyranids my priorities were Tervigon first, because as Drukhari I cannot play the attrition game and those respawning Termagaunts are a chore to shoot through, then I went for the Zoanthropes because they are among the best support units of the Tyranids (and also because with Precision they have killed my Archon) and then I went for the rest of the stuff like Carnifexes and the Tyrant.

Same went for my two games against the SM, specifically the BA. I went straight for the Devastators (even if it was overkill) then for the Baal Predator and after that for the Redemptor. Anything that threatens our transports is the priority number one. Once the Drukhari touch the ground they are as good as dead. Also I hug the cover as a drunkard does a fence since we really need to stay in our boats as long as possible. 

In the meanwhile I harass with the Mandrakes and the Reavers which are nice, cheap units for objective scoring and early actions. 

Also I have to mention that the Drukhari need those kills since this generates the Pain tokens. So I have found myself going for those easy kills with the rest of my army, even if it was overkill. I have found myself in situations were the Pain token would have been a game changer (Fight First on the Succubus+Wyches) but I had none and thus my unit was destroyed/countered. 

So in hindsight, with our shooting I think the priorities are:

1. threats to our transports

2. easy kills for the Pain Tokens

3. situational kills (objective grabs, counters...)

If anything is too tough or eats too much of our resources I just run away or ignore it as long as practicable.