Any News/Rumors regarding 10th ed starter sets?

DeRome90

Hello everyone.

Maybe I lived under a rock or something, but I did not hear anything regarding Starter Sets for the 10th Edition. Leviathan is just the launch box.

Since the rules are going to be online and free, I am a little bit afraid, that GW will not release starter sets because "Combat Patrols are the perfect starting point" and so on.

Are there any rumors or news regarding a release date or the content of the sets?

What are your thoughts about the starter sets?

Valrak has said that a source has told him that starters are coming (he didn't state if this was the 100% accurate source who nailed the Lion and the Leviathan box, at least I can't remember if he did).

One issue I see with the starters is the fact that the new Space Marine and Tyranid combat patrols will be made from the contents of Leviathan, meaning what would they put in the third tier box that isn't in one of those packages.

Also, looking at the sprues, only the nid prime and Terminator Captain 'share' a sprue unlike Indomitus with the lieutenant/warden and captain/Overlord. Normally there is some kind of exclusive mini(s) locked to the starters that was previously locked to the launch box.

Heretical thought but - given there are the combat patrols using the lion's share of new minis - if I was GW I'd maybe actually put older, higher value, high quality, minis in the starter boxes. Like add in the Tyranid monsters and other weirdos, and maybe recent cool marine things which haven't yet been in a budget box (or barely so)? Give each a separate identity and actually maybe they will sell well? (Except a Phobos box, possibly...) 

This could also keep those things from past boxes which aren't in print anymore or easily accessible selling (imagine if one was the honoured of the chapter sprue, for example?). 

Of course that's not the point of the starter set boxes and I get that. I am hoping some fancy new terrain which isn't generic boring imperium terrain is forthcoming (please something tyranid-y or natural!)

Edited by Petitioner's City

1 minute ago, Petitioner's City said:

Heretical thought but - given there are the combat patrols using the lion's share of new minis - if I was GW I'd maybe actually put older, higher value, high quality, minis in the starter boxes. Like add in the Tyranid monsters and other weirdos, and maybe recent cool marine things which haven't yet been in a budget box (or barely so)? Give each a separate identity and actually maybe they will sell well? (Except a Phobos box, possibly...) 

This could also keep those things from past boxes which aren't in print anymore or easily accessible selling (imagine if one was the honoured of the chapter sprue, for example?). 

Of course that's not the point of the starter set boxes and I get that. I am hoping some fancy new terrain which isn't generic boring imperium terrain is forthcoming (please something tyranid-y or natural!)

I'm hoping the terrain might be double duty from the new kill team stuff which is rumored to be more jungly...if that's a word.

3 minutes ago, Petitioner's City said:

I wouldn't mind if they split the difference and it was imperial buildings covered in tyranid biomass.

1 hour ago, ZeroWolf said:

One issue I see with the starters is the fact that the new Space Marine and Tyranid combat patrols will be made from the contents of Leviathan, meaning what would they put in the third tier box that isn't in one of those packages.

Not necessarily. Remember the 8th edition recruit box had different sculpts and units that weren't in dark imperium. We could see genestealers Vs assault terminators or hormagaunts Vs jump assault primaris for example.

2 hours ago, Craig said:

Not necessarily. Remember the 8th edition recruit box had different sculpts and units that weren't in dark imperium. We could see genestealers Vs assault terminators or hormagaunts Vs jump assault primaris for example.

I'm going to be honest, and say that I never saw the 8th edition starters, I got back into 40k 6 months after 9th dropped. Good to know though.

3 minutes ago, DeRome90 said:

Thank you all for your fast response. 

Well, I hope that we will soon get some news on that front. I am surprised that nothing is known about them, althought 10ed is already running... Or at least will officially start with Saturday.

I think we'll get talk about them soon, no doubt they'll want the starters on shelves when the codexs start coming out