Optimizing Space Wolves Units with Attached Leaders

Valerian

While this other thread is focused on optimizing the 'Wargear Options" within each of our units that have such upgrade choices, this thread will focus on maximizing the potential of combined units, i.e. Leaders and Squads.  

This is where we'll throw around ideas for which characters to attach to which squads, discuss which Enhancements to bring, and Stratagems to use, to optimize their synergy.

The following is definitely not all-inclusive, but rather just a starting off point for the brainstorming to follow in the comments that follow.  

Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf and Battle Leader on Thunderwolf attached to Thunderwolf Cavalry.

• Wolf Lord takes a Thunder hammer [Devastating Wounds] with the Black Death enhancement [Anti-Monster 4+ and Anti-Vehicle 4+], if using Champions of Russ detachment.
  • Add 1 to Advance and Charge rolls made for the unit
  • Free Stratagem use once per battle round (Adaptive Strategy - Assault Doctrine (Advance and Charge) if using Gladius Task Force; Warrior Pride - Saga of the Warrior Born ([Sustained Hits 1] on all melee weapons equipped in the unit) if using Champions of Russ.)
  • All weapons equipped have [Lethal Hits] ability, including the 3 each Extra Attacks from their Crushing teeth and claws.
  • When the unit makes a Charge move add 1 to the Damage characteristic of all melee weapons equipped by models in the unit, including the 3 each Extra Attacks from their Crushing teeth and claws.
  • Once per battle, the unit can move towards the closest enemy unit by d6 inches if the unit was targeted in the enemy shooting phase.

Primaris Captain attached to Sternguard Veterans.

• When using the Gladius Task Force detachment
  • Primaris Captain keeps his Master-crafted bolt rifle
  • Primaris Captain takes the Bolter Discipline enhancement [Sustained Hits 1] for all ranged weapons in the unit.  Also, Critical Hits on 5+ when in the Devastator Doctrine.
  • Free Stratagem use once per battle round (Adaptive Strategy - Devastator Doctrine (Advance and Shoot)).
  • Once per battle, if one or more enemy units were destroyed by this unit's shooting attacks, the unit can shoot again.

Primaris Lieutenant attached to a Desolation Squad.

• When using the Gladius Task Force detachment
  • Primaris Lieutenant keeps his Master-crafted bolt rifle
  • All All weapons equipped have [Lethal Hits] ability.
  • Primaris Lieutenant takes the Bolter Discipline enhancement [Sustained Hits 1] for all ranged weapons in the unit.  Also, Critical Hits on 5+ when in the Devastator Doctrine.
  • Stratagem use once per battle round (Adaptive Strategy - Devastator Doctrine (Advance and Shoot)).
  • Unit can shoot and declare a charge in a turn in which it Fell Back.
  • When unit Remains Stationary all ranged weapons have [Ignores Cover] and can ignore the penalty to their Hit rolls when making attacks with Indirect Fire weapons.

Judiciar attached to a Bladeguard Veterans Squad.

• Judiciar takes Frost Weapon enhancement if using the Champions of Russ detachment; melee weapon adds +1 to strength and attacks.
  • Judiciar takes The Honour Vehement enhancement if using the Gladius Task Force detachment; melee weapon adds +1 to strength and attacks, or +2 to melee weapon strength and attacks when under the effects of the Assault Doctrine.
  • Unit gets Fights First ability
  • Each time the Judiciar destroys an enemy Character model, add 1 to his Executioner relic blade's Attacks characteristic.
  • Each Fight phase either re-roll all Hit rolls of 1 or re-roll all Invulnerable saving throws of 1.
  • Activate Honour of the Chapter stratagem if using the Gladius Task Force detachment, when under the effects of the Assault Doctrine to give equipped melee weapons [Lance] and +1 to armor penetration.
  • When using the Champions of Russ detachment, the Go for the Throat stratagem also gives equipped melee weapons +1 to armor penetration, but only also gives [Lance] if the Saga of the Beastslayer has been completed.

Lieutenant in Phobos Armor attached to Hounds of Morkai.

• Lieutenant takes Frost Weapon enhancement if using the Champions of Russ detachment; melee weapons get [Precision] and +1 to strength and attacks.
  • Lieutenant takes The Honour Vehement enhancement if using the Gladius Task Force detachment; melee weapons get +1 to strength and attacks, and +2 to strength and attacks when under the effects of the Assault Doctrine.
  • All weapons equipped have [Lethal Hits] ability.
  • Can make a normal move of up to d6 inches after shooting in the Shooting phase.
  • Force one enemy unit within 12" to take a Battle-shock test in each of your Shooting phases (subtracting 1 from the result if it is a [Psyker] unit.
  • EDIT: In an Impulsor transport, making use of the Firing Deck to have a highly mobile and protected Psyker hunting platform.

Iron Priest with Servitors and Wolf Guard Pack Leader in Terminator Armor attached to Long Fangs.

• 5 "heavy" weapons in the base unit plus 2 additional on the Servitors, and 1 more on the Wolf Guard Battle Leader in Terminator Armor (Cyclone missile launcher)
  • Re-roll Hit rolls of 1 when targeting a specified enemy unit, if this unit Remains Stationary and still includes the Long Fang Pack Leader
  • Once per battle, change a Hit roll for a model in the unit to an unmodified 6
  • Once per battle, re-roll a failed Battle-shock test.

Edited by Valerian

Can’t wait to try out Blood Claw b0mb. I’m going to run one of each below:

Ragnar Blackmane, [“Firstborn”] Lieutenant, and Wolf Guard Pack Leader attached to Blood Claws.

• Ragnar enables the Blood Claws to advance and charge.
  • LT makes all weapons equipped have [Lethal Hits] ability.
  • Between Blood Claw Pack Leader and Wolf Guard Pack, get (4) powerfist attacks 
  • Blood Claws get +1 Attack and +1 Strength on the charge [does this transfer to unit?].
  • 15 Blood Claws maximizes impact of Strategems and Buffs, provides 30 ablative wounds for Ragnar.

Firstborn Captain, Firstborn Lieutenant, and Wolf Guard Pack Leader attached to Blood Claws.

• Captain enables free Strategem each turn on the unit.
  • LT makes all weapons equipped have [Lethal Hits] ability.
  • Gear was discussed in previous article, but I really like a Captain with twin-linked Lightning Claws with an Enhancement to taste.
  • Between Blood Claw Pack Leader and Wolf Guard Pack, get (4) powerfist attacks 
  • Blood Claws get +1 Attack and +1 Strength on the charge [does this transfer to unit?].
  • 15 Blood Claws maximizes impact of Strategems and Buffs, provides 30 ablative wounds for the characters.
Edited by PrimoFederalist

14 hours ago, PrimoFederalist said:

@PrimoFederalist yes, their ability transfers to the entire unit, so the attached Ragnar, Lieutenant, and Wolf Guard Battle Leader would all also benefit from the +1 to attacks and strength when they make a Charge move.

Razorback's Fire Support is an interesting synergy for long fangs. Probably best on heavy bolter or assault cannon razorbacks as you only need to hit to trigger it. Could also use an HKM or Storm bolter to trigger it. Retooling to wounds is very potent at least on paper. Might work well when you gotta kill something without OoM active on it.

Could really help melta/grav long fangs get there and then get their target.

22 hours ago, Rune Priest Jbickb said:

Razorback's Fire Support is an interesting synergy for long fangs. Probably best on heavy bolter or assault cannon razorbacks as you only need to hit to trigger it. Could also use an HKM or Storm bolter to trigger it. Retooling to wounds is very potent at least on paper. Might work well when you gotta kill something without OoM active on it.

Could really help melta/grav long fangs get there and then get their target.

Coincidentally, I thought the same thing yesterday morning while building a list!

Played a game yesterday vs crons with a pair of twin-ac razorbacks with ML long fangs in each; tagged the warrior blobs with storm bolters while throwing the AC's at nearby barges.

D6+4 frags per missile w/full wound rerolls put in quite a lot of work from even just one squad.

I could definitely see good value in razor-caddying them with a loadout of 3ML, 2LC per squad (what I have modeled) using said tagging to get full re-rolls on them, especially the LC's, to be good armor hunters for stuff tougher than Necron fare. (Land raiders, etc...) Though, like you said, for that purpose, probably better off with the HB for that extra 12" of range to 'tag' something. I only have TLC and TAC for mine, so, danger-close it is!

Edited by Dark Legionnare

Im looking for the best leader to join 15bloodclaws in the stormwolf. Ragnar is not nessesary since they get advance and charge if they come out of the ship. I do like to add a terminator wgpl, but it takes up space of 2 so i have to drop one bc and dont get anny buffs yet. Then i think a lieutanant might be the best option, but why does this guy cost more then a primaris lt?

Then i was thinking to put 5 assault intersessors in a razorback, maybe with ragnar or a primaris lt?

But then i saw this issint the optimal bennefit since they allready get to rerrol their wound rolls and the razorback lets them do the same. So is there a better candidate for this transport to take some objectives?

I quite like a Chaplain (Wolf Priest) to lead the Blood Claws. Litany of Hate for +1 to Wound is a really powerful ability and means they can reliably deal with even big targets. Power Fists will be wounding big targets like Knights and Land Raiders on a 4+ and even Chainswords will be getting wounds through on 5s. Combine that with OOM and you have a really powerful package. He can also fix a failed Battleshock test once per game which could be handy in a pinch.

I have been theory crafting Grey Hunters with a Terminator WGPL attached toting a Cyclone Missle Launcher. Advance and Shoot with Fall Back and Shoot is a pretty neat combo with 2 special weapons and a 2 shot missle laucher.  Best shooting focused leader is definately the Iron Priest and his Servitor retine. 2 more heavy weapons that hit on 2s are a great additon. Plasma Cannons are probably the best bet, and match the Grey Hunter plasmaguns. The Pack Leader, WG Pack Leader, and Iron Priest all can pack multi damage weapons like power fists.

Alteratively, a standard Rune Priest (Librarian) attached to the shooting focused Grey Hunter squad adds some decent mind bullets and a 4+ Inv for the whole squad.  Also makes the squad less suseptible to Blast weapons, but opens them up to anti Psyker stuff. 

I think there is real potential for the Terminator WGPL with CML.  He's a character and can fufill sagas at range, adds another powerfist to the squad, and makes Grey Hunters a great but pricy replacement for Intercessors to stand on objectives.

2 hours ago, FabulousRex said:

I have been theory crafting Grey Hunters with a Terminator WGPL attached toting a Cyclone Missle Launcher. Advance and Shoot with Fall Back and Shoot is a pretty neat combo with 2 special weapons and a 2 shot missle laucher.

I think Wolves have a good set of options with the WGPLs, especially the Terminator WGPLs. Throw on a Lieutenant and a tooled up TDAWGPL for some melee punch, added firepower, and then you've got a unit that can Advance+Shoot as well as Fall Back+Shoot+Charge.

It's one of the things I'm list-tinkering with for my triple Land Raider lists: 3 units of Grey Hunters with a Raider each, plus the attached Characters, to give the Raiders some good units to transport that aren't too expensive but also have enough punch. 2x Grav Guns/Plasma Guns, and a CML, plus three Power Fists is a solid amount of weapons on top of the chainswords - and a min sized squad works out at 215pts - plus the Raider at 275, so 490 all told, which is a fair chunk, but you've got a solid infantry unit plus a heavy tank with solid firepower.

For holding backfield objective Im going for 5 Intercessors and Rune Priest with a  frost weapon (4++ and sticky objectives, precision weapon)

For taking 2 objectives in midfield am going for 2 Landraiders with all the trimmings transporting

6 Bladeguard plus Judiciar

10 Blood claws, WGPL, Ulrik

Leadership 5+, reroll 1s to hit and wound*, Beserk Charge

Also taking Canis with 3 TWC just to wreck stuff

On 6/18/2023 at 11:30 PM, Valerian said:

Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf and Battle Leader on Thunderwolf attached to Thunderwolf Cavalry.

• Wolf Lord takes a Thunder hammer [Devastating Wounds] with the Black Death enhancement [Anti-Monster 4+ and Anti-Vehicle 4+], if using Champions of Russ detachment.
  • Add 1 to Advance and Charge rolls made for the unit
  • Free Stratagem use once per battle round (Adaptive Strategy - Assault Doctrine (Advance and Charge) if using Gladius Task Force; Warrior Pride - Saga of the Warrior Born ([Sustained Hits 1] on all melee weapons equipped in the unit) if using Champions of Russ.)
  • All weapons equipped have [Lethal Hits] ability, including the 3 each Extra Attacks from their Crushing teeth and claws.
  • When the unit makes a Charge move add 1 to the Damage characteristic of all melee weapons equipped by models in the unit, including the 3 each Extra Attacks from their Crushing teeth and claws.
  • Once per battle, the unit can move towards the closest enemy unit by d6 inches if the unit was targeted in the enemy shooting phase.

Be careful on this one. Having Lethal Hits on the unit from the Wolf Guard Battle Leader means you are auto wounded on critical hits. By my reckoning, this would mean that the Devastating Wounds on the Black Death Thunderhammer can't trigger, as you are not rolling to wound with 6's to hit. 

I suppose you need to decide if losing the odd mortal wounds is worth the extra auto wounds from Lethal Hits. 

4 hours ago, Wraithwing said:

Be careful on this one. Having Lethal Hits on the unit from the Wolf Guard Battle Leader means you are auto wounded on critical hits. By my reckoning, this would mean that the Devastating Wounds on the Black Death Thunderhammer can't trigger, as you are not rolling to wound with 6's to hit. 

I suppose you need to decide if losing the odd mortal wounds is worth the extra auto wounds from Lethal Hits. 

But you’ll still get opportunities to proc mortal wounds on your rolls of 2-5 to Hit.

Edit: or 3-5 to Hit.  Whatever it is for Thunder hammers on Wolf Lords.  

Edited by Valerian

Someone suggested this previously, but I can't find it now.

Iron Priest attached to Long Fangs AND Servitors

• If taken in GSF, you can give the IP Bolter Discipline which affects both.
  • Can get a total of 6 heavy weapons inside a Drop Pod or 7 heavy weapons in a Rhino or foot slogging.
  • Gets the Long Fangs a couple of ablative wounds that have 6++.
  • If with a Rhino, can really help keep their chariot alive.

7 hours ago, Apokalypsi said:

Someone suggested this previously, but I can't find it now.

Iron Priest attached to Long Fangs AND Servitors

• If taken in GSF, you can give the IP Bolter Discipline which affects both.
  • Can get a total of 6 heavy weapons inside a Drop Pod or 7 heavy weapons in a Rhino or foot slogging.
  • Gets the Long Fangs a couple of ablative wounds that have 6++.
  • If with a Rhino, can really help keep their chariot alive.

It’s at the bottom of the OP of this thread. 

So im a little slow and havent played yet  but twc seem pretty apealing to me. Soon ill try out to run two units of 6, one with a wolf lord.

You can put them both in assault doctrine for 1cp each round and the unit with the wolflord has +1 advance and charge, making it quit a long threat range.

Ive alway run them as cheap as possible to put pressure and catch bullets.

Now theyre even cheaper and can benefit from cover easy witout storm caller.

Hear me out… Wolfguard…

Are they not just better, cheaper Sternguard? You can give them all combi weapons for the same firepower as Sternguard but they also have their heirloom weapons (booo heirloom weapons) so hit far harder in combat. They lose the shoot again ability but get a more reliable +1 to hit with an attached character.

What am I missing?

44 minutes ago, NatBrannigan said:

Hear me out… Wolfguard…

Are they not just better, cheaper Sternguard? You can give them all combi weapons for the same firepower as Sternguard but they also have their heirloom weapons (booo heirloom weapons) so hit far harder in combat. They lose the shoot again ability but get a more reliable +1 to hit with an attached character.

What am I missing?

If the preferred weapon is a combi weapon then this is a good idea. I’m not sure the combi weapon is better than the sternguard rifle. Sternguard also have wider character support but nothing to miss. 

8 hours ago, NatBrannigan said:

What am I missing?

Sternguard Bolt Rifles. Combi-Weapons aren't particularly good, and especially compared to SBRs.

SBRs are very good and with various buffs they have great versatility. Combis are locked into their anti-infantry (ugh) and do nothing outside of that, where SBRs can actually do decent damage to all targets - and they do loads more damage to infantry in general (and roughly equivalent damage to the toughest infantry like Terminators).

Hmmm, Wolf Guard with Stormbolters and Heirloom weapons actually pack quite a lot of punch for only 19ppm and can fit in cheap Transports like a Rhino while still leaving space for a cheap buffing Character or two. A Lt with Bolter Discipline would be good if your are running GSF. That way all those storm bolter shots auto-wound on a 5+ and each turn you can withdrawn from melee, hose a target with fire and then charge straight back in.

That is only 1ppm more than a Grey Hunter and they upgrade their bolter to a Storm Bolter and their Chainsword for an Heirloom weapon. I am actually really liking that idea.

Oddball but potentially useful combo I found.

5 Fenresian Wolves for the base unit. Fast, but frail. Advance'n'Charge.

Cyberwolf for 6" Scout move, even more early movement.

Canis Wolfborn as the real killer of the unit. 

Canis can do some decent work all by himself.  Works better in Champions of Russ so your 2 characters can get across the board fast and start Saga hunting. The base unit of Wolves is basically ablative wounds. Played carefully this unit can bully lone objectives, provide screening, and even snag an objective. Hilariously, Canis is OC2, so the wolves can't take objectives, but Canis can by himself.  Best choice for Saga of Majesty if your opponent leaves their home objectives to lightly defended.

On 6/20/2023 at 7:53 PM, Dark Legionnare said:

Coincidentally, I thought the same thing yesterday morning while building a list!

Played a game yesterday vs crons with a pair of twin-ac razorbacks with ML long fangs in each; tagged the warrior blobs with storm bolters while throwing the AC's at nearby barges.

D6+4 frags per missile w/full wound rerolls put in quite a lot of work from even just one squad.

I could definitely see good value in razor-caddying them with a loadout of 3ML, 2LC per squad (what I have modeled) using said tagging to get full re-rolls on them, especially the LC's, to be good armor hunters for stuff tougher than Necron fare. (Land raiders, etc...) Though, like you said, for that purpose, probably better off with the HB for that extra 12" of range to 'tag' something. I only have TLC and TAC for mine, so, danger-close it is!

I was thinking of trying the same because i need some more antitank hunting.

But then i saw the point difference between devastators and longfangs. Do you think theyre worth it? Becsuse all the difference i see is the rerroll ones to hit if stationarry, but since you hop them outof the transport they dont get (first turn) anyway right?