Optimizing Space Wolves Units with Attached Leaders

Valerian

I know Van Vets (Or in my head WGJPs, since I have a unit built from 8th and don't fancy breaking them all down) have been slapped down a bit with the way weapons have been squashed, but would a jump pack squad with a Chaplain with jump pack be viable, partly for anti infantry (Litany of Hate), but also mobility?

Only suggesting them over Sky Claws as they can only have a Pack Leader attached, which doesn't seem to make them as potent

Yes, I think VanVets have some play. They may have taken a hit with the Heirloom weapons but their points have come down and they can still take Storm Shields for some 4++ saves so can tarpit pretty heavy hitters.  They are pretty much a straight upgrade over Assault Marines. Just beware that Van Vets come with Lethal Hits which means the +1 to Wound from the Chaplain is slightly less valuable to them than to other squads. The Jump Captain has the same issue with his +1S. The Jump Libby is a good candidate as an extra point of AP will work well with Lethal Hits.

One other thing to remember is that part of the value of Skyclaws though is that they are cheap. Even cheaper than regular Jump Assault squads at just 19ppm. At this price point they fulfil a different role I think. I would see Skyclaw packs as skirmishers. They can drop in via Deep Strike to harass backfield units and Objective campers. At just 95 points for 5 (or 135 if you chuck in a Pack Leader), you can force an enemy to play more carefully and consider things like screening in his backfield.

VanVets are more of a frontline assault unit.

Remember, you can only attach up to 2 leaders to one squad.

Here are some ideas I've been thinking of:
(WGPL terminator with Cyclone ML + grey hunters) x 3 - someone already mentioned it but you could go over the top by adding another character, WGPL does not have a restriction on what other leaders you can attach to the unit.

Lt in Phobos with regular reivers squad (with deep strike) - unlike the hounds of morki, Reivers can deep strike. The Phobos Lt's lability let the squad move d6 in the shooting phase. use them to steal an objective. Deep strike, shoot a different unit then the one you will charge, move d6" closer to charge target, then charge (the Lt's ability does not prevent you from charging after moving like similar abilities).

any terminator leader with bolter discipline + WG terminators with combi-weapons = go fishing for mortal wounds. (I posted the combo on another SW thread)

14 hours ago, Jimbobbyish said:

Remember, you can only attach up to 2 leaders to one squad.

Not in all cases.  You can have a Wolf Lord/Captain, a Battle Leader/Lieutenant, and a Wolf Guard Pack Leader all 3 attached to the same squad.  It might be overkill, but is still allowed.