Can I shoot at units that are in melee in 10th?

Filius
Go to solution Solved by Kallas,

I just had my first battle of 10th edition yesterday. And … we were surprised, that we couldn't find a rule, that states whether you can shoot at units that are in melee (while the unit that shoots is not in melee).

Thanks anyone for help!

• Solution
32 minutes ago, Filius said:

we couldn't find a rule, that states whether you can shoot at units that are in melee (while the unit that shoots is not in melee)

That's because such a rule doesn't exist, except for the Big Guns Never Tire (page 20) - which is an exception to the Locked In Combat (page 20) rules - specifically about Monsters/Vehicles.

Spoiler

image.png.fa5027ca811fd6ee2517a7e44a584f46.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.bf76affa36c5f348490e4747ca5d29dd.png

You can only shoot units in Engagement Range with the units that are in Engagement Range with them, and then only with Pistols (page 25), barring any unique special rules

Spoiler

image.png.f4c7680c8186b02a214382ddbd45ce4a.png

Edited by Kallas

Ah! But the "Locked in Combat"-Rule is exactly what we were looking for. Obviously, we were too excited by the thrill of the first match, to find it in the rules. Thanks a lot for pointing out!

A house rule my group used when played was: If shooting into melee, when rolling to Hit, every "Miss" was allocated to your own troops. This meant there was ALWAYS risk to your own forces. 

I had a friend who played guard, and quite often he would sacrifice a squad in melee to execute my Assault Marines or Kroot.