Genefather - Belisarius Cawl vs. Fabius Bile

A surprise, but a welcome one!

I don't care much for Fabius Bile, but Cawl is a hoot. His last novel - "The Great Work" is one of my favourite books set in the current era.

Also, this is written by Guy Haley - an author who really understands the character so I am excited.

I've really liked Haley's Crawl, especially in the Great Work. But....Reynold's Fabius is on a whole other level, and I hope some of his characterization is captured (pretty optimistic, Haley is very competent at meshing other authors takes into his own, unlike abnett).

Yeah Reynolds stopped working for GW over completely unrelated problems with editorial, some time before this was probably even conceived of probably, given Haleys speedy writing. Fabulous Bill is a fairly big special character, he was never going to stay on the shelf after Reynolds left.

Im quite keen for the book, both characters have had some absolutely cracking novels, im just hoping they dont lean too hard into the "versus" angle because that always produces crap work. Haley is really good at doing his research too, so im sure he can do Reynolds Fabulous Bill justice. :) 

3 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

I've really liked Haley's Crawl, especially in the Great Work. But....Reynold's Fabius is on a whole other level, and I hope some of his characterization is captured (pretty optimistic, Haley is very competent at meshing other authors takes into his own, unlike abnett).

Reynold’s Fabius Bile Trilogy is probably my favorite piece of 40k fiction, and is up there with the Heir to the Empire trilogy as my favorite licensed fiction, period. 

It’s such a shame that Reynolds doesn’t write for BL anymore.

4 hours ago, Karhedron said:

That should be a fun read. Nothing like 2 mad scientists butting heads. Shame Mad Doc Grotsnik is not joining the party. :wink:

The book could always end in a homage to that scrapped ending to Freddy vs. Jason, where Pinhead shows up at the end. Instead it's Grotsnik rolling in and asking, "Oi, ladz, what seems to be da problem?"

10 minutes ago, sitnam said:

Alien vs Predator, Freddy vs Jason, and Infinite and Divine would like a word!

AvP is one (maybe two) good comics and a deluge of crap, Freddy v Jason is so average its left no impression on me at all and id argue I&D is more about a relationship over time than a strictly verses story, so maybe they just need more time to develop? Of course i wouldnt recommend most stories stretching over millennia :D  (Infinite and Divine is probably the best 40k book, go and read it!)

1 hour ago, sitnam said:

It was more then a movie you know. The early 2000's shooters were so fun

There was some good Dark Horse comics as well (same with the individual Aliens and Predator comics).

Anyhow, GW could use this book to lay some future ground work, a special unit of chaos primaris for example based on Fabius getting some geneseed, Cawl getting some of Fabius notes on cloning primarchs etc etc.

What I hope doesn't happen is that it devolves down to a sort of "I'm so smart I saw this happening and did X!" Followed by "Well, I'm so smart that I knew you'd do that and did this!"

I also hope a necron character turns up for some fun...

15 hours ago, Rain said:

Reynold’s Fabius Bile Trilogy is probably my favorite piece of 40k fiction, and is up there with the Heir to the Empire trilogy as my favorite licensed fiction, period. 

It’s such a shame that Reynolds doesn’t write for BL anymore.

You had me at Heir to the Empire. Is the Bile trilogy that good? I've got it but haven't got round to reading yet. An endorsement like that gets it bumped up the list!