ShortCircuit's Forgeworld Aegean: 486th Archeological Expeditionary Force

Hey everyone, starting up a new Admech army and figured I'd track the progress here. Some of the base lore for the world is below, and I'll upload some photos whenever I get the chance :)

The scheme is roughly inspired by "A Mechanicus...Darkly."

---BEGIN TRANSMISSION---

The world Aegaon was originally settled during the Dark age of Technology, before being overrun by orks during the long night.  It is a harsh world, primarily covered in water split only by the peaks of undersea mountains that rise lonely from the depths.
In M36, it was revisited by a rogue trader whose crew contained a member of the adeptus mechanicus, Techpriest Numerian. While on location, Numerian discovered an STC for a slightly different pattern of lasrifle mag, which had better charging efficiency while underwater than the traditional model. For this discovery, Numerian was gifted the world of Aegaeon and instructed to excavatefor any further STC fragments.

The first 100 Aegaean Expeditionary forces were created to explore the oceans and caves of the undersea world,and by M37 it was determined that the world was devoid of any more fragments.
By this time, Aegaeon had specialized into lasrifle production exclusively. Numerian, Arch-Techpriest of the world, became tired of the monotony of their production and jealous of other, larger forgeworlds. In M38, he revitalized the Expeditionary Force program to search new worlds for more undiscovered technology.

The 486th Archeological Expeditionary force was one of the groups launched from Aegaeon with the sole purpose of discovering new technology. Led by Techpriest Triaxius, the expedition follows myths and legends around the cosmos, hoping to bring their small forgeworld into the limelight of the Imperium.

Their blue robes mark their heritage as members of the undersea forges.

---END TRANSMISSION---

To start with, I painted up a few skitarri. Still need to get them based, but the scheme is coming together nicely. Going for a table ready army here and getting lots of drybrushing practice on the silver.

Using magic blue with a blue wash for the coats, livery green for the eyes, cameras, and plasma, grim black with ironbreaker drybrushed for the body and orc green for the face.

20230708_152852_again.jpg

I like their background. :smile: 

I know you said you were going for tabletop reading, but have you thought about giving the cloaks an edge highlight? I think mixing some Glacier Blue into the Magic Blue and zipping along the front edge of the hood (and the opening of the coat) would look great..

Painted up my first power sword yesterday, which I figure is kind of a rite of passage.

On 7/9/2023 at 5:26 AM, Firedrake Cordova said:

I know you said you were going for tabletop reading, but have you thought about giving the cloaks an edge highlight? I think mixing some Glacier Blue into the Magic Blue and zipping along the front edge of the hood (and the opening of the coat) would look great..

Gave this a shot but it didn't dry fast enough, if that makes sense? It kind of ran onto the rest of the cloak. Think I need to try thickening it somehow before I can go for an edge highlight, but I like the idea.

power_sword.jpg

skitarri alpha.jpg

21 hours ago, ShortCircuit said:

Gave this a shot but it didn't dry fast enough, if that makes sense? It kind of ran onto the rest of the cloak. Think I need to try thickening it somehow

That's unfortunate. :sad: I didn't think either of those paints were super-thin, and that it should be possible to just trace along the edge of the cloak with the side of the brush.

Aye that's a really nice blue, but I echo @Firedrake Cordova re. the highlights, I think it would really help them pop! 

Good work on the power sword too. I hope I don't sound too negative, but I think it would look even better in a different colour, e.g. orange or yellow, given the blue robes of your troops.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a ton of progress over the past few weeks, with life getting busy. Still made some progress, having built my serberys sulpherhounds and based most of the infantry. Electro priests are also coming along, and I'll update the post with some pictures of them once they're done.

Gave some edge highlighting a shot, and it went pretty well on the engineseer but I'll be holding off on more until my Call To Arms pledge is game-ready. It does add a lot, and I need the practice, so expect to see these skitarri again with pretty edges someday!

highlighted_group_small.jpg

highlighted_priest_small.jpg

• 1 month later...

Been travelling for the last little while which means not much time for painting, but still pushing to get done my Call To Arms pledge. In that spirit, here are the next 2 units done! A skorpius disintegrator and a unit of electro-priests! The last unit is underway, a set of serberys sulpherhounds.

20230914_165749.jpg

20230914_165754.jpg

20230914_181017.jpg

20230914_181105.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finished this batch of the army! Here are the cowboys, completing my original call to arms pledge. The blue-silver scheme was pretty difficult to make work for these guys, since they have a lot of different regions to separate and so many of them end up blue. It would have been nice to have another metallic to fall back on for some sections, and I strongly considered adding some more leather colors for certain areas on the horses, but ultimately I decided that would clash too much with the rest of the army.

I'm on vacation at the moment (brought these guys in a carry case to finish during downtime) so I can't get a group photo of them all, but thats all the admech I have for now! Hopefully the army will expand soon :)

3.jpg

12.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Going to keep moving on the 486th, adding some new forces! I picked up a few Kastelans in need of new arms and a gang of heavily customized skitarii for cheap, and managed to find an old start collecting Skitarii secondhand. I plan on converting the already-converted skitarii into technoarcheologists/engineseers/marshals, and 3d printing guns for the gunless Kastelan bots. I'll get through a dominus and 10 rangers this month, if my vow goes according to plan.

20240201_151247.jpg

20240201_151406.jpg

20240201_151147.jpg

20240201_150408.jpg