Legions Imperialis - Legions Astartes Support Box

1 hour ago, Mr Farson said:

Nice models

Buuuuut I'm extremely miffed that the side game is getting better model support than the main game

I wouldn't be surprised if everything we see for this will also be in plastic for 30k. I'm basically under the assumption we will. Meaning 30k is getting plastic deredeos and rapiers.

Edited by ShadowCore67

2 hours ago, Valkyrion said:

Are we to assume that it will come with enough options to have all 4 units be armed the same (i.e 4 quad launchers and 4 laser destroyers on the sprue)?

Same question actually for the Sicarans and Predators from the launch box.

Maybe Rapiers and Tarantulas, but I can't see Leviathans getting x8 of 5 weapons (claws, drills, stormcanons, melta and grav bombard).

I'm excited for the hobby opportunity with these models.

I want to do a couple of dioramas with Epic (one of a couple of McFarlane figures "playing" a game of HH, and another McFarlane figure sitting at their paint station with some of these models being painted).

I also like incorporating my hobby into my living space, so I am planning on making a coffee table that has a glass top that can slide in and out, with a Legions Imperialis battle going on inside the table.

Also excited for the game.

1 hour ago, arnesh88 said:

*snip*

Con: Because it contains a variety of different units, if someone wants to run only one/some of them, then there's going to be leftover units.

That being said, I don't know the compositions of these formations (they may require all the models in the box, though I doubt it). There might be a big incentive for community trading, like if someone wanted to go for artillery/barrage builds or certain armoured columns, then they'll trade whatever suits their desire (or split boxes with someone).

We haven't heard anything on composition, but the implication of the promo shots of the launch box (e.g. having two stands of Terminators included as part of a block of infantry) and the supposed leak list above makes me think that army composition will work like Epic: Armageddon (itself a spin-off of SM2's army building, but without physical cards) in that larger formations have a limited selection of potential upgrades.

For example, in the list below, you have the Legion Tactical Detachment, made up of 4 stands (as indicated by the 'Detachment size' column). The two entries below that: '-Legion Terminators' and '-Assault Marines', are noted as '+2'. I'm reading these as an option for additional stands to be added to the Legion Tactical Detachment.

image.png.4eb6d6031aa133d245a663f21f4596ba.png

Note that both Assault Marines and Terminators models are also available as their own dedicated Detachments (entries 9 and 10). 

My guess is that this list is a limited 'get-you-by' army builder, which will eventually be superseded. If that's right, this is a way to allow you to use the two stands of Assault Marines/Terminators in the release box.

+++

Anyway, that relates back to your question by putting some restrictions on things – i.e. the minimum number of (say) Tarantulas you can buy is 4, which tallies with what's in the box. In short, trading individual Tarantulas is moot, as you'll either need all from the box, or you won't need them at all. (Purely in gaming rather than hobby terms, of course.)

image.png.844c1481ccc295051917c392bfacb625.png

There are some subtleties to this. Firstly, the list might be fake. Secondly, there might be transcription errors. In particular, the '+2' detachment size of what I'm taking to be additions to Detachments might be for one stand, up to a maximum of two.

If that's the case, it helps explain why the Terminator Detachment is 50pts, but the additional Terminators for the Legion Tactical Detachment  are +15 – i.e. the +15 is per stand; so you get a little discount for buying a dedicated Detachment. Unfortunately, that begs the question of why a Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Detachment is 75pts for 4; but each additional Leviathan Siege Dreadnough in a Legion Dreadnought Talon is +35...

30 minutes ago, arnesh88 said:

I'm excited for the hobby opportunity with these models.

I want to do a couple of dioramas with Epic (one of a couple of McFarlane figures "playing" a game of HH, and another McFarlane figure sitting at their paint station with some of these models being painted).

I also like incorporating my hobby into my living space, so I am planning on making a coffee table that has a glass top that can slide in and out, with a Legions Imperialis battle going on inside the table.

Also excited for the game.

This is perhaps one of the best ideas I've ever heard, good luck (and remember to take pictures!).

50 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

I'll be buying 2 of these boxes, likely just for the Dreads.

Ebay might be seeing my tarantula and rapiers though as they don't really fit my theme in my head...

Going Dread heavy?

4 hours ago, 01RTB01 said:

I'm taking this as evidence as a plastic deredeo is incoming for 30k.

That was basically confirmed anyway with the Warcom people pointing at the picture of the Deredeo and the new MKIII's and going "Oh hey, what's this, what's this in this picture huh?" XD

2 hours ago, Ayatollah_of_Rock_n_Rolla said:

Maybe Rapiers and Tarantulas, but I can't see Leviathans getting x8 of 5 weapons (claws, drills, stormcanons, melta and grav bombard).

I didn't mean that so much as 4 of each weapon, but I now realise that Levi's often double dip their weapon loadouts. 

Looking at the pics you can't be certain if they can even do that - they've not shown left and right of the same weapon, but I would assume they could.

Until I see one in real life I can't process the scale properly. Is an arm made up of shoulder, joint and weapon? That seems really small and fiddly to deal with.

I think the black ones will be hardest. 

You can add blues and reds and greens to black armour by doing plumes, lenses and weapon casing but I think that might be hard to do at this scale, so if you get the highlight wrong you risk just having a sort of black/grey blob.

Getting those tiny little checks on dark angels is giving me palpitations just thinking about it. 

I think I'm going Ultramarines and Iron Warriors. Yellow hazard lines at that scale will be more forgiving than at 30k scale, I hope. 

3 minutes ago, Valkyrion said:

I think the black ones will be hardest. 

You can add blues and reds and greens to black armour by doing plumes, lenses and weapon casing but I think that might be hard to do at this scale, so if you get the highlight wrong you risk just having a sort of black/grey blob.

Getting those tiny little checks on dark angels is giving me palpitations just thinking about it. 

I think I'm going Ultramarines and Iron Warriors. Yellow hazard lines at that scale will be more forgiving than at 30k scale, I hope. 

Depending on scale a few dots might do as the check pattern on dark angels. 

5 minutes ago, Valkyrion said:

Do you think the little infantry models will take well to leadbelcher and retributor sprays?

It's my experience that you have to be careful with those at 40k level, nevermind tiny. 

I think I would be more inclined to spray black and drybrush the metal on. 

1 hour ago, grailkeeper said:

I wonder which legion will be hardest to paint at that scale? My gut says night lords with their lightning. Iron Warriors might be hard with the metallics and hazard striping too. 

Iron Warriors metallics are probably pretty easy, since you can get away with a rattle can of Leadbelcher at worst or slap on a couple of different tones with an airbrush. The problem will be the hazard stripes, since even masking at that scale - and keeping it consistent - will be the tricky part.

Easiest I think will be any Legion you can just slap an appropriate Contrast paint over. With the advent of the big plastic Epic!American Civil War set, you saw a lot of historical Youtubers branch into using them to get their big boxes painted quickly and they seem especially made to make tiny minis 'pop' with a minimum of fuss. Imperial Fists, Ultramarines, Blood Angels, etc, will probably get away with blobbing some of it on and maybe picking out a few details.

Death Guard will probably have a lot of White Rattlecan -> Streaking Grime/oil paint -> Paint Green paintjobs, so they'll also end up easy so long as somebody isn't restricting themselves to Citadel-only products (in which case they could be a bit tough).

I think White Scars will be a pain, just because any mistake you paint trying to paint trim/red/etc will mean repainting with white and trying not to end up with a chalky mess. 

Edited by Lord Marshal

1 hour ago, grailkeeper said:

I wonder which legion will be hardest to paint at that scale? My gut says night lords with their lightning. Iron Warriors might be hard with the metallics and hazard striping too. 

Dark Angels and Raven Guard will practically blend into the table unless done in gray. The Iron Hands already looked pretty flat, but people can do metallic bases and black contrast or shade to make them stand out. 

I personally am taking this a challenge to do Legion Badges :biggrin:

Edited by Marshal Rohr