Legions Imperialis - Legions Astartes Support Box

The combination of contrast paints and no round base insert on the infantry is going to be a game-changer for this era of Epic. The former will make painting infantry to game-ready standard a doddle, and the latter means that the bases can be done separately, and the models then glued on. 

55 minutes ago, Redcomet said:

Contrast paints will be excellent for these small minis. I an probably doing blood angels, as I had thosw way back when. A white undercoat and then Blood Angels red contrast, maybe a light orange drybrush after.

I'm on a surprisingly long (to me) Imperial Fist streak at the moment, so it'll be lots of tiny yellow troops courtesy of Imperial Fist Yellow and a quick shade of thinned Agrax Earthshade or equivalent.

33 minutes ago, apologist said:

The combination of contrast paints and no round base insert on the infantry is going to be a game-changer for this era of Epic. The former will make painting infantry to game-ready standard a doddle, and the latter means that the bases can be done separately, and the models then glued on. 

Where is your sense of needlessly making things harder for yourself by gluing them all really closely together on the round base and painting them together!

Edited by Marshal Rohr

1 hour ago, apologist said:

Where have you seen "no round base insert"? I'd be the first one to applaude if it where the case!!! Because I'd like all my tiny minis on a transparent base!

That's exactly what I do – and as well as being cheaper than most alternatives, it also serves a practical purpose of giving the stand some heft to withstand accidental knocks on the table. You can add PVA to add texture, or (my recommendation) use this stuff: Sand Texture Gel (from Winsor & Newton's Galeria range of acrylic mediums). It's the business for quickly adding texture. You just smear a thin layer over the surface and leave it to dry, leaving a subtly textured finish.

565604_1002_1_-winsor-newton-galeria-sand-texture-texture-gel-250ml.jpg?sw=680&q=85

It's a nice texture that works well for Epic scale (i.e. it doesn't look like your figures are clambering around a field of boulders), sticks well to pretty much any surface from metal to wood to plastic. You can also apply it more thickly and embed larger rocks/details in it. 

65856A78-8199-45B4-9F3E-F1C6DA98229F.jpeg

Once dried, it takes paint well, too; the texture picking up nicely through drybrushing.

40807947-FD6A-42AE-A1C1-94AC1A6E98A7.jpe

+ Sand Texture Gel +

IMG_3903.JPG

+ PVA and sand (left); moulded base from the E:A edition Eldar Court of the Young King (right)+

[+REDACTED+]

1441A830-DD51-4654-8A28-AA6E14BE720C.jpe

Edited by apologist

7 minutes ago, BolterZorro said:

Where have you seen "no round base insert"? I'd be the first one to applaude if it where the case!!! Because I'd like all my tiny minis on a transparent base!

This is an informed guess, to be honest – but if you look at the feet of the new models you'll see an integrated 'pill/rock' between their legs, rather than underneath them:

HistoryOfEpic Jul18 SMInfantry

I'm also pretty confident that the bases are universal – that is, that there's no distinction between those for the infantry and the support stuff. Note that there are no recesses in the bases to take the old-style round base inserts.

Ef4OOpOMZptH603s.jpg

2OmwYOjejEX5D74w.jpg

It's something of a shame they went for the city-fight style bases because the "pill" between the feet of infantry is pretty noticeable on those, if they'd gone for a flat base with some kind of texture it'd be easier to blend it in.

I do really like it for the Dreadnoughts etc though.

Rik

3 minutes ago, Rik Lightstar said:

It's something of a shame they went for the city-fight style bases because the "pill" between the feet of infantry is pretty noticeable on those, if they'd gone for a flat base with some kind of texture it'd be easier to blend it in.

Rik

I want to keep the strip for stability but I think I’m gonna use the thinner Astro granite to do scattered dirt and masonry in random spots to dirty up the base and hide it. 

I'll laser cut some transparent 1mm acrylic base so my armies blend on whatever table it is on.

The miniatures are extremely light, you don't need that ugly 3mm thick base from GW which is an inheritance from the past (with the metal stripe on miniatures)

3 minutes ago, BolterZorro said:

I'll laser cut some transparent 1mm acrylic base so my armies blend on whatever table it is on.

The miniatures are extremely light, you don't need that ugly 3mm thick base from GW which is an inheritance from the past (with the metal stripe on miniatures)

The taller, hollow base isn't just for that, though. It is also much stabler on terrain that has sand, grit or other uneven features unlike a completely even plate.

4 hours ago, Rik Lightstar said:

It's really odd, the sculpted bases are gorgeous but the tactical rocks look pretty out of place on them. Rubble will be the way forward I think.

1 hour ago, Sherrypie said:

The taller, hollow base isn't just for that, though. It is also much stabler on terrain that has sand, grit or other uneven features unlike a completely even plate.

I don't know what you're plying on but it is a false problem....that GW try to encourage. There is no problem at all!. For a soldier sized miniature, you're looking at 7 grams of plastic and for a AT warlord 70g. Absolutely no need of stabilisation even if you're plying on sans on the beach.

99.99999999999% of the time, the playing table is flat.

54 minutes ago, BolterZorro said:

I don't know what you're plying on but it is a false problem....that GW try to encourage. There is no problem at all!. For a soldier sized miniature, you're looking at 7 grams of plastic and for a AT warlord 70g. Absolutely no need of stabilisation even if you're plying on sans on the beach.

I mean, just from playing lots of Titanicus thats just not true, its also not taking account of dramatic poses, conversions or not flat tables, which are pretty much the norm in a lot of places if they use realms of battle, (or similar) old school modular tables or even hills (Which are a lot more relevant at a smaller scale) which often have long slopes that Epic infantry HATE.

I honestly hadnt given it much thought before but lipped bases might be a good idea actually, im certainly not sold on the sculpted ones so i could pass those off to someone else who might like em.

2 hours ago, BolterZorro said:

You might play on flat surfaces all the time, sure. Lots of people, myself included, play on a large and varied set of stuff that includes traditional foam and sand boards which tend to have rough surfaces as well as sloping hills that straight plate bases simply slip down from while lipped bases grip well enough to stay in place. This is not a problem, however you want to phrase it, just a regular state of things. Cool custom boards are a big part of the hobby while completely flat vinyl mats that dominate competitive media are more of a "it's fine I guess" solution for expedience.

For Epic infantry, it doesn't really matter, but for even regular 28 mm dudes, let alone AT Warlords, I prefer my models not to keel over in wonky ways when a simple raised base handles this problem and keeps things aesthetically pleasing.

7 hours ago, Rik Lightstar said:

Rik

Luckily it's a simple fix, just add a little rubble to the clean city fight bases.

It's not a city fight without fighting, and fighting wrecks cities.

4 hours ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

Luckily it's a simple fix, just add a little rubble to the clean city fight bases.

It's not a city fight without fighting, and fighting wrecks cities.

Yeah, it just runs the risk of ending up back in "Tactical Rock" territory, where every soldier has their own little patch of rubble. 

I completely accept that it's a really minor grumble, it certainly won't put me off adding a couple of Companies of White Scars, a bunch of tanks and probably some Imperial Army too to my existing White Scars Air Wing and Gryphonicus Titan Maniples. 

I'm all in for an Expedition Force! Just give me Battlefleet Heresy too! 

Rik

Ill admit i got far too into basing some of my titans, different grades of rubble, tones to the rubble, the whole shebang. Its essentially not visible unless you stare real close (something my painting standards do not encourage) but i know its there lol

42 minutes ago, DuskRaider said:

You’re telling me… now I worry the Marines on my Titanicus bases are way out of scale. 

Jup, already have started plucking them off my bases...