Legions Imperialis - Legions Astartes Support Box

At this scale I can definitely see myself having a few legions. Definitely doing Imperial Fists and will splurge on a FW mini Dorn if they release one. Never been interested in Blood Angels in 40K (I hate the whole vampire thing) but have become quite fond of them in HH thanks to the Siege novels. So think I might have a force of those too. Have an urge to do small forces of Iron Warriors and Word Bearers also. 

That’s the beauty of this scale, it’s easy to collect and paint multiple Legions!

I’m really curious if we’ll ever see the other weapon choices for the special & heavy squads, Contemptors, Predators, Sicarans etc? If not I’ll definitely be looking for some 3D printed alternatives if only for the visual flavour. 

31 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

Death Guard will probably have a lot of White Rattlecan -> Streaking Grime/oil paint -> Paint Green paintjobs, so they'll also end up easy so long as somebody isn't restricting themselves to Citadel-only products (in which case they could be a bit tough).

I was thinking wraithbone and one of the light brown contrast paints myself - skeleton horde or Mortarion grime maybe - as a glaze and a recess wash for shading and weathering. Pretty similar to how people paint the Pallid Hand vectorium for WH40k. A bit darker and filthier than 30k DG usually look, but I want fairly late Heresy and I plan to go heavy on the weathering and general filth. Shouldn't be very hard to do, hopefully, and it should look pretty good.

I’ve painted 30K Marines and vehicles at this scale and it isn’t too bad. The Forumware minis I have are pewter and a little less detailed it seems but I had no issues pulling off convincing Death Guard. The FW transfer sheets even had (have?) decals that are small enough for 8mm vehicles and still retain details. 

I remember the old Epic 40K models I had and they are dead easy to paint. Surprisingly so. These guys will be even easier as they're slightly bigger.

Getting an army painted will be no effort compared to other miniatures scales I reckons.

I super want a Mastadon or 2 now too.

I am glad to see that we will quickly get units outside of the starter box, though I am not sure I like the idea of 4 different units in a box.  I only probably care for 1 set of everything but the Leviathans, but could have easily gotten more than 4 of those if they are separate.  hopefully several boxes like this will release simultaneously or a week after the starter box.  Especially transports for both sides.  I can wait a bit on jet-bikes or recon squads but Rhinos are key.

53 minutes ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

Great news! Dreads are the biznusss.

One thing I started wondering once my awe settled; we've seen Contemptor in the starter box, but not mentioned as part of this Dread box, will they end up in the infantry box instead?

After seeing the article I am thinking there are Four Tactical Sprues (Cmd and Tacticals), 2 Support Sprues (Dreads, Terminators, Assault, Tac Spt, Hvy Spt), 1 Predator sprue, and 1 Sicaran sprue. 

Painting in small scale is dead easy, if you don't want to get into the nitty-gritty. 1-2 base colours, a bit of a wash and highlights on a nicely done base are already tabletop ready. Breezing through a whole detachment in one night is not very time consuming. It only gets there when you want to push it a bit.

For example, this bunch of DG heavy support took me two days and it still feels like quite a bunch of that was mainly due to me dawdling with eye lenses and plasma glows that aren't strictly necessary. Painting in NMM also takes some extra time, but I dislike metal flakes shining like small objects rather than looking like an illusion of large objects shining far away, so that's just personal baggage.

1164346-.png

Also hoping they'll eventually bring out new killer robot friends for my Mechanicum forces :)

1165690-.jpg

I'm going Ultra's as they will pop with a white undercoat, and that symbol can be easy once you practice... Plus i already did my tiny planes in Ultra's (don't want to have to repaint them :laugh:-

AI-Ultra1.jpg.5fe6a1e512a4bec77011947f6365868a.jpg

Xiphon-Ldr1jpg.thumb.jpg.de988b0d440ddc273f6d0179452561af.jpg

In regards to Iron warriors, or hazard stripes in general, I'd paint the pad yellow and use a Micron pen to then add the stripes.

M. 

Edited by Mumeishi

It's so hard to paint anything realistically at this scale. Iv'e played heavy gear for decades.  Battle ready sure. But painting something that tiny with shading and contrast is a nightmare. Don't get too ahead of yourselves. If you wanna see an example of how insane painting these tiny bastards can get look up Mason. I'm actually kinda upset I can't just play knights and titans.

Fellblades and Glaives would be easy enough to do as a dual either/or kit, I think. 

Isn't it just a different turret and frontispiece (or whatever the term is on a tank, the hull down bit with the demolisher cannon) 

Maybe even the falchion too. They managed to make a baneblade and shadowsword live on the same kit in 40k and they have different looking profiles. 

9 hours ago, Mumeishi said:

I'm going Ultra's as they will pop with a white undercoat, and that symbol can be easy once you practice... Plus i already did my tiny planes in Ultra's (don't want to have to repaint them :laugh:-

AI-Ultra1.jpg.5fe6a1e512a4bec77011947f6365868a.jpg

Xiphon-Ldr1jpg.thumb.jpg.de988b0d440ddc273f6d0179452561af.jpg

In regards to Iron warriors, or hazard stripes in general, I'd paint the pad yellow and use a Micron pen to then add the stripes.

M. 

These look fantastic! I'm thinking Ultramarines myself to go along with my 40k army.