The End and the Death Part I, II, III, ...

Me looking through the Dramatis Personae for Falkus Kibre who gets nuked by Abnett despite showing up twice in ADB’s 40k books. 

:rolleyes:

I’m worried that this book is going to just go on and on and drag out what should be wrapped up. I’ve gotten to the point I just skip over entire plot lines in the siege especially pertaining to the humans…it’s just boring filler.

2 hours ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

There is a guy on the BL Nutters facebook group who has received his shipping confirmation for his LE, saying it will arrive in his WH store tomorrow.  So I expect spoilers will start to appear then (apparently his WH store manger is cool and doesn't hold deliveries back until release day).

If his Store Manager is doing their job properly, he shouldn't be releasing it to the customer before the official release date - which to the best of my knowledge is 4th November.

15 minutes ago, m_r_parker said:

If his Store Manager is doing their job properly, he shouldn't be releasing it to the customer before the official release date - which to the best of my knowledge is 4th November.

Well we can only hope he does us all a solid and releases the leaks! ;)

I'm re-listening to book 1, at one point a comment is made that Malcador had shown Dorn the tarot before the siege, and that the Dark King card landed on the Emperor (or something like that).

It rings a bell, but there were so many pre-Siege shorts that they all kind of blurred into one for me...

Can anyone remember specifically which short its in reference to?

12 minutes ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

I'm re-listening to book 1, at one point a comment is made that Malcador had shown Dorn the tarot before the siege, and that the Dark King card landed on the Emperor (or something like that).

It rings a bell, but there were so many pre-Siege shorts that they all kind of blurred into one for me...

Can anyone remember specifically which short its in reference to?

That’s from The Lightning Tower, which was the first piece of Heresy fiction BL published, if I recall correctly. 

20 minutes ago, cheywood said:

That’s from The Lightning Tower, which was the first piece of Heresy fiction BL published, if I recall correctly. 

Yes. The chapbook had 2 stories, by Abnett (Lightning Tower) and McNeill (The Dark King). Featuring Dorn and Kurze, with a nice supporting cast. The tarot pattern (6 cards, with the Dark King "askew across the Emperor" plus the Lightning Tower card) repeats in The Dark King. Kurze throws the Tarot. 5 cards are the same, but this time the Dark King at the feet of the Emperor, plus the Dove.

For years I thought that The Dark King was Kurze (the DK story is basically the destruction of Nostramo). I guess I was wrong, and/or the DK has been repurposed.

Kurze also turns up the Death card in his reading, cause he's Kurze. Malcador had commented on the same card in Abnett's story.

So this is coming along, for example this fun hypothesis:

Horus kills Emperor (Loken there as witness: "I was there, blah blah..." enough already)

Imperials go berserk as the Star Child is born in spontaneous combustion-like situation with the super-duper *pure* Warp energy focussing on just-arrived No. 1 Nice Guy Oll armed with Primordial Nailclipper who proceeds to totally clip Horus into oblivion with an assist from the Dracon androgyne

Who has sneaked into the Vengeful Spirit with Eldrad. Because he's a busybody, Eldrad proceeds to reanimate the Emperor - because he has farseen the Emperor becoming his favorite Eldar god.

However Grammaticus, aghast at the prospect, mangles Eldrad's spell (logokine, natch) and the result is... well check it out 10000 years later.

Then Dorn kills everybody and leaves. Minus the reborn corpse-Emperor, who is snatched by Fabius Bile in the confusion and taken to Terra due to Warp/Reality malfunctions.. Only to be stolen by mysteriously-free Basilio Fo who would just love to try a new little theory of his, some sort of symbiotic situation. Success!! Emperor is interred by Fo into the Golden Throne and stuff seems to be working!! I think.

On 10/27/2023 at 2:30 PM, Scribe said:

Investment. 

Now you know I rate Abnett highly and I would love it ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT if after reading tEatD 2 and 3 you were like “hot dang now I get it! Now I see what was building all along through these years and millions of words! Jeez Abnett is a genius!” But we both know you are going to be (sadly) very disapointed. Pretty sure I am going to be a bit disappointed too as it won’t mesh with my preferred head canon either!