The End and the Death Part I, II, III, ...

1 hour ago, DukeLeto69 said:

Exactly. I do not believe Abnett had a plan for Loken. Yeah leave the door open or his fate ambiguous but no. Loken was not planned in to be there in the End (and the Death) from the start. His reappearance was hamfisted. He meandered and was rather lacking in purpose for a good while. He should have stayed dead.

Found it!

This is an interview from 2010 where he says he "would never allow" Loken to be killed off. 

Also, he's answering a question by a "Duke Leto" in that very interview :teehee:.

Edited by Roomsky

7 minutes ago, Roomsky said:

Found it!

This is an interview from 2010 where he says he "would never allow" Loken to be killed off. 

Also, he's answering a question by a "Duke Leto" in that very interview :teehee:.

No bloody way!!!! That is me! I still don’t believe the Loken thing beyond “let’s keep the door open” but could be wrong! Need to listen to this now! Thanks

26 minutes ago, Roomsky said:

Makes sense if the plan was always for Loken to book-end the Heresy, just like he was also the first to be introduced. There's also the possibility that the entire outline was discussed before book 1, if only in generic terms, including the conclusion. ("Let's complete the circle"). There may be a bias for symmetry in most writers (fiction or non-fiction). It is not only readers who are needy for a closure.

thought i'd briefly drop by the bolt now that the heresy series has reached full compliance to see what the reaction has been; nice to see everyone's stayed in character since the last time i was here. moonreaper keep mooning 

weirdly what's prompted this response is the loken biz. like DC i don't think they had a well fleshed out plan - which i reckon was impossible since the series was growing and changing book by book - but not only was the character always intended to return ... they almost changed their mind, wanting to keep him dead because readers loved the end of "galaxy in flames" so much

that might explain the length of time it took to bring the last luna wolf back 

2 hours ago, the empress said:

thought i'd briefly drop by the bolt now that the heresy series has reached full compliance to see what the reaction has been; nice to see everyone's stayed in character since the last time i was here. moonreaper keep mooning 

weirdly what's prompted this response is the loken biz. like DC i don't think they had a well fleshed out plan - which i reckon was impossible since the series was growing and changing book by book - but not only was the character always intended to return ... they almost changed their mind, wanting to keep him dead because readers loved the end of "galaxy in flames" so much

that might explain the length of time it took to bring the last luna wolf back 

Who were you? 

38 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

Who were you? 

mc warhammer

i wasn't attempting to be mysterious, i used auto login on my phone but forgot that i created a new account when my old one stopped working for some reason. i didn't even realise i'd signed in under this lovely new (throwaway) name until just now

but hi

back to the loken stuff was from the old heresy editor on the first expedition boards...i think he mentioned the pre galaxy in flames story notes on qruze's arc too

coupled with the fact that a lot of the early heresy writers like dan left for a while, i think it's safe to say that whatever plans were in the works went through some changes. i remember adb said on here that there were a bunch of intended books that never ended up being written for various reasons

Roomsky, you have made many demands of Rob, so now - in your turn - you are demanded to explain your reaction to his excellent and heartfelt points about Horus 'The Best Character In This Story*' Aximand. 

Spoiler

It's actually Shadrak Meduson, but never mind that.

Edited by wecanhaveallthree
destroy all lokens

Good to have you back mc warhammer, I'd feared you were gone for good.

re: Aximand. I'll be honest, I probably can't be objective regarding Aximand, years of people discussing him as if Galaxy in Flames were his last pre-siege appearance kind of poisoned that well for me. Little Horus is a great short story and it's very much about the character's decision to fully embrace what the legion had become; Loken was a poor choice to be Abaddon's opposite during the Siege but I wouldn't want Aximand to backslide into his doubtful phase either. Despite his mild trepidation in Vengeful Spirit, he still spent that book being a stone-cold bastard and I like him that way. I would have preferred another member of the legion be a reasonable, horrified voice instead. If only we had such a character, one who had expressed worry about Horus' state and wasn't killed in Saturnine. One who had already received quite a bit of focus and character development...

On a completely unrelated note, too bad Abnett used Argonis not at all, huh?

9 hours ago, Roomsky said:

Found it!

Oh my Force!!! I remember watching this video years ago: Mr. Abnett now has a bushier and longer heretical beard haha. Thank you for the blast from the past!

I do like that he had a plan for Loken, as he probably realized his importance to the story (and wrapped that up mostly nicely imo). I also remember reading a review, I think on Amazon, regarding something of Loken's return where this person met Mr. Abnett and expressed their sadness over Loken's "demise" in "Galaxy in Flames", to which apparently Mr. Abnett looked at them and asked "Was there a body?" or something to that effect.

So it sounds to me the plan was there. Maybe a little haphazard, but the last loyal Luna Wolf was going to have a role moving forwards and I feel he played a beautiful and final role in the finale...

Spoiler

but damn Erebus to hell though...I also don't like that whole Samus connection to Loken's death then and there on the Spirit.

Edited by Dornfist

14 hours ago, wecanhaveallthree said:

Roomsky, you have made many demands of Rob, so now - in your turn - you are demanded to explain your reaction to his excellent and heartfelt points about Horus 'The Best Character In This Story*' Aximand. 

Reveal hidden contents

It's actually Shadrak Meduson, but never mind that.

I love Meduson soooo much! I even wrote a mini essay about him for fun hahah. I wish he had been around longer, as "Old Earth" I believe was the only full-length novel he featured in outside all those Shattered Legions short stories. What an incredible character...I'm just glad someone got Tybalt in the end.

Edited by Dornfist

Too soon, Artilleryman. Too soon. RIP Prince of Cats.

Meduson was, for me, a perfect example of really well done OC in the HH. No magic powers, no Enuncia, no immortality - just a Space Marine doing his best while coming to terms with the reality of SpaceDad and how his Legion is breaking apart, betrayal within and without, how to move forward, etc. Very handsome man, no doubt about that.

Little Horus is a great short story and it's very much about the character's decision to fully embrace what the legion had become

I would vote for Little Horus as the best short of the Heresy. Serpent Beneath is a novella, IIRC, but would be a very close second.

But I wholly disagree with you, Roomsky! From hell's heart I stab at thee! 

Little Horus, in my mind, is Aximand not embracing anything at all. It's him literally losing his identity (along with his face - I love how Abnett wrote the 'now he's got his face literally stitched back on, he looks more like Horus than ever!' that's themes, that is). Through the short he's trying to reconcile the Luna Wolves of old with what they've become, and he's in denial, he's just appeasing Abaddon and Horus, he's clinging to the familiar, the old, the rituals and the brotherhood that used to exist. Through the short we're given that changing spiel about how he's an 'aspect of change', of sweeping away the old, how he's totally fine with that, haha, he's totally not sad or scared or anything at all:

The melancholic humour is misunderstood. You think too literally. It has, in fact, the quality of autumn. It is the spirit of contemplative change, the accelerator of death, the enabler of ends and beginnings. Autumn clears away the world so that a new one may rise. This is my purpose. I am not sad. 

He's remade at the end, remade in a new image - but he never made that choice. Slaves to Darkness backs this up as well. Aximand is more than simply conflicted, he's paralysed, he is wholly incapable of moving forward but he knows he can never go back, either. Aximand was the face (heh heh) of, I think, more than a few Traitors who found the rebellion they'd signed up for turning dark and ugly and corrupt, but not knowing how to turn back, not knowing how to get away from it. I loved Little Horus because it showed the utter helplessness of those who had doubts in the Traitor cause. 

It's also some of Abnett's absolute best work, full of incredible imagery and metaphor and some serious, serious subtlety. Like Aximand only seeing the Warmaster, not Horus, any more, and refers to him as such consistently. THAT'S THEMES, THAT IS.

Much as I like what was done with Meduson, I just can’t get over how stupid his name is. For so long, the only real Iron Hands character in the entire Heresy series was Captain Meduson, the guy from planet Medusa, making him Medusan. It feels like a deliberate snub when the EotD introduced a new Iron Hands character, Sergeant Medusi. 

14 minutes ago, Lord_Caerolion said:

Much as I like what was done with Meduson, I just can’t get over how stupid his name is. For so long, the only real Iron Hands character in the entire Heresy series was Captain Meduson, the guy from planet Medusa, making him Medusan. It feels like a deliberate snub when the EotD introduced a new Iron Hands character, Sergeant Medusi. 

Do they greet each other by saying “My Dude Sir”

1 hour ago, Lord_Caerolion said:

I agree it's a daft name but he was born in Albia on Terra as far as I remember. I think he took the last name Meduson in tribute to the Legion's homeward.

9 hours ago, Etruscan said:

I agree it's a daft name but he was born in Albia on Terra as far as I remember. I think he took the last name Meduson in tribute to the Legion's homeward.

Yes, he took the name Meduson as a tribute to Medusa. His original name was Smyth. 

I recently listened to that short story, it's in Sons of the Emperor. Corax basically embraced his nature as a being partially of the warp. He probably knows and realizes more about the Primarch project than any of his brothers, though his meeting with Russ at Yarant probably added the final nail in his coffin. So he's sworn to eradicate the traitor primarchs and is hunting for Lorgar first, taking his previous shadow talents to eleven. Basically, he's a non-Chaos warp entity, on par with daemon primarchs.

Lorgar is meanwhile having some sort of ritual going, and has also already ascended by this point in history (funny, since that was supposed to happen at Terra...). They duke it out, though Lorgar obviously is underprepared for it, not being properly dressed for the occasion and such. He's also maintaining a sort of portal with his will, so he may not be fully focused, even ritual aside. Corax gets the upper hand and wounds Lorgar by stabbing him with his talons, but they crash to the ground, leaving a crater. Lorgar is battered, then uses warp magic to retreat through the portal, leaving Corax behind the barrier, also battered.

Lorgar then leaves his followers, including Marduk, behind and cloisters himself, Kor Phaeron arriving just after. It is unclear if this is the beginning of his millennia-long meditations or something else. The story ends there.

Edited by DarkChaplain

I finally read Volume II and III from start to end. I finished them last night. It was emotional, especially the afterword. As I turned the book down I was hit with the realization that the journey of the Heresy is over. I entered the universe painting minis as a kid and now, after 20+ years these books feel like closure for an important chunk of my life.

I will now read all your reviews an opinions and I'll try to share mine also, but I have to say I wasn't expecting all these feelings. Have a great day, fraters.

1 hour ago, Corinthus said:

I finally read Volume II and III from start to end. I finished them last night. It was emotional, especially the afterword. As I turned the book down I was hit with the realization that the journey of the Heresy is over. I entered the universe painting minis as a kid and now, after 20+ years these books feel like closure for an important chunk of my life.

I will now read all your reviews an opinions and I'll try to share mine also, but I have to say I wasn't expecting all these feelings. Have a great day, fraters.

If you have avoided everyone’s reviews up until now then I would say carry on avoiding. Whatever experience the books gave you is unique to you so savour it. If you read what others have said (inc me) you’ll just get depressed. At the end of the day it is pretty much mostly subjective.

2 hours ago, DukeLeto69 said:

If you have avoided everyone’s reviews up until now then I would say carry on avoiding. Whatever experience the books gave you is unique to you so savour it. If you read what others have said (inc me) you’ll just get depressed. At the end of the day it is pretty much mostly subjective.

Oh I'm not worried about confronting opinions. I want to see your takes and conclusions.

I have to say that I enjoyed the ride, especially the last Volume but I have questions about the loose ends. Which character wasn't name-checked as Abnett said in the Afterword? I came up with Omegon, Land, and maybe Sevatar but I don't know whom he meant.

Edited by Corinthus
spelling

2 hours ago, Corinthus said:

Which character wasn't name-checked as Abnett said in the Afterword?

I took it to mean the Dramatis Personae from Horus Rising. If that's the case, perhaps Eidolon or Lucius is the one. My speculation.

Glad you read the Afterword. It is almost as important as the novel itself (I mean The End and the Death the entire work, not the artificial parts it was divided into for reasons unrelated with the exposition). It was a bit amusing to see Abnett having to expressly state that all character POV (including Malcador's) is unreliable witness as far as the lore is concerned. Maybe he's reading fan boards where people constantly miss the distinction. He also states in so many words that the novel is supposed to be an immersive experience, happening "now" for both reader and characters. That explains a hell of a lot about the characters' development. A couple of philosophical statements are a bit... pedestrian imo (especially the well-trodden part about imagination being a distinguishing human element... it is like a politician saying that everything is politics or a biologist claiming everything is DNA-related, obviously an author would proclaim the same about her/his main tool).

The Afterword is important enough to merit a review of its own. I'd write one, but maybe not.

I don't think TEATD's DP is what he means, I could be wrong. From the context, I assumed it would have been any "named" character Abnett included in the DPs of his  HH books. Horus Rising seemed the most probable place to look. The non-name checked character "would have been there" (at TEATD). That doesn't mean s/he was.