Primaris Sledgehammer... sort off (2000 pts)

Spyros

Here I am again designing silly friendly lists...

Until the Astartes codex arrives in Autumn I don't have a very clear idea of what works and what doesn't, so I'm asking you battle-brothers for inspiration.

I don't play competitive hence I have the luxury of playing pure Primaris lists too (because I like the Primaris' models' proportions...)

Based on models I already own I made three variations of an armoured assault list. I 'd love to hear your thoughts!

2000 points - One Raider is a target, two is a trouble... but for me too

80 Primaris Captain, MC power sword & shield

200 Bladeguard Vets (6)

50 Bladeguard Ancient

275 Land Raider, Lascannons

65 Primaris Chaplain

180 Death Company Intercessors (10), 1 power fist, 9 chainswords

255 Land Raider Crusader

65 Primaris Techmarine

205 Terminator squad (5)

225 Redemptor Dreadnought, Macro-plasma incinerator

220 Brutalis Dreadnought, weapons???

90 Infiltrators (5)

90 Incursors (5)

Simple plan, saturate the battlefield with heavy armour to avoid focus fire. Two Raiders and two Dreadnoughts advance forward, the Infiltrators hold home objective, the Incursors improve the hit rolls of other units, the Terminators probably stay in reserve and the Techmarine is there because nothing else fitted with the remaining points.

The assault ramps of the Raiders are a huge bonus, the Bladeguard group slaughters anything with Red Rampage, etc. 

The problem is the small number of units at the beginning of the battle and the difficult charge from deep striking Terminators.

2000 points - Terminator chances improved

80 Primaris Captain, MC power sword & shield, Artisan of War

200 Bladeguard Vets (6)

50 Bladeguard Ancient

65 Primaris Chaplain, Icon of the Angel

195 Repulsor

95 Terminator Captain, weapons???

205 Terminator squad (5)

90 Infiltrators (5)

90 Incursors (5)

So, now without an assault ramp the DC will have to work more to find the right moment to charge, there is no Techmarine to babysit the vehicles, but the Terminators became a lot more deadly as a Captain is leading them.

The few remaining points went to two enhancements.

1995 points - More terrifying walkers!

80 Primaris Captain, MC power sword & shield

200 Bladeguard Vets (6)

50 Bladeguard Ancient

65 Primaris Chaplain

95 Terminator Captain, weapons???

205 Terminator squad (5)

90 Infiltrators (5)

90 Incursors (5)

A Repulsor's armour is not like the Raider's, the DC have to run instead. But (by removing the enhancements too) now I can field an additional Brutalis Dreadnought, nod bad, right?

:cool::facepalm::teehee::woot:

Edited by Spyros
Typos...

15 minutes ago, Spyros said:

Sons of Sanguinius! The GSF doesn't feel quite right without some kind melee bonus.

So, both GSF and SoS have access to lance via stratagems. The SoS bonus when charging is nice, but a canny player will ensure you struggle to actually get important charges off (because, if nothing else, simply charging you cancels your entire detachment benefit). GSF can still feel "blood angely" thanks to easier ability to get into positions to charge and move across the board more quickly.

SoS is still pretty fun (I've mostly been using it too), but GSF is superior, and the tournament stats suggest this is the case too.

It says friendly lists, so I would refrain from the objection of "don't play blood angels play space marines" that comes along with GSF being the only optimal tournament loadout.  Feels to me to be missing the spirit and intention of the post.

I like all three lists, all three feel very fluffy to their ideals.

I'd probably run a different loadout on the Death Company guys, but that's just me.  Variety is the spice of life.

1 hour ago, DemonGSides said:

It says friendly lists, so I would refrain from the objection of "don't play blood angels play space marines" that comes along with GSF being the only optimal tournament loadout.  Feels to me to be missing the spirit and intention of the post.

I like all three lists, all three feel very fluffy to their ideals.

I'd probably run a different loadout on the Death Company guys, but that's just me.  Variety is the spice of life.

But thats the thing... GSF feels just as blood-angely outside of the names of the abilities, at least as much so as SoS does frankly, most of the SoS strats are the same or similar to GSF ones (in many cases the GSF ones are also better), on top of that, Blood Angels have been able to move around the table fairly well in prior editions, now they have no way to do that. If you want an army of marines that advance and get in the face of their enemy quickly GSF actually lets you do that far more easily and with far fewer hoops than SoS does.

I really don't think there is enough of our flavour left in the SoS detachment to legitimately say it makes you feel more like you're playing blood angels than using GSF does.

I don't think SoS is terrible, as mentioned I've actually mostly been playing it too, but its not through any real belief its "more blood angely" just the dogmatic view that its "the blood angels detachment", however when I tried the GSF, I found it to be far more engaging and fun - it let my Death Company Intercessors get up the table more quickly and get into the enemies face more easily too.

Also, I brought it up because Jolemai asked the question.

@Spyros If you stick with SoS, you'll want to lean into things like the angels sacrifice (which is quite cool!), Aggressive onslaught is nice if you can pull it off, just remember that using it doesn't let you fight again, but does let the unit you conolidate into fight, often meaning your unit will suffer two units worth of attacks against them. Relentless Assault is also cool, albeit just a worse version of squad tactics - it does at least let you actually get the detachment bonus and feel a little blood angely at times.

In terms of the list, I probably wouldn't run two captains as, if going for fluffy feeling, two captains feels weird so I like list 1 the most. You could do list 2 or 3 with the bladeguard captain counting as a bladeguard lieutenant, not sure if any other points would shuffle enough to let you fit in the techmarine as well then?

Edited by Blindhamster

11 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

In terms of the list, I probably wouldn't run two captains as, if going for fluffy feeling, two captains feels weird so I like list 1 the most.

I agree with this. Also, you can only target 1 unit per Battle Round with the "Rites of Battle" ability so multiple Captains run into the problem of diminishing returns. You get the flexibility to use RoB in separate places but you can still only use it once per Battle Round.

20 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

I agree with this. Also, you can only target 1 unit per Battle Round with the "Rites of Battle" ability so multiple Captains run into the problem of diminishing returns. You get the flexibility to use RoB in separate places but you can still only use it once per Battle Round.

You guys are right about this.

The BG captain is a must and he will probably be that one to use Red Rampage with Rites of Battle, and simultaneously use Finest hour and the Ancient's extra attacks. The BG group should then be like an explosion...

The Terminator captain I believe is essential for a successful charge because of his ability.

Unless I go for 1st option with two Raiders...

But I'm beginning to like the 3rd option more.

1 hour ago, Spyros said:

You guys are right about this.

The BG captain is a must and he will probably be that one to use Red Rampage with Rites of Battle, and simultaneously use Finest hour and the Ancient's extra attacks. The BG group should then be like an explosion...

The Terminator captain I believe is essential for a successful charge because of his ability.

Unless I go for 1st option with two Raiders...

But I'm beginning to like the 3rd option more.

finest hour plus red rampage is a sight to behold on a blood angels captain with artisian of war :D

In my opinion the biggest chances for succesfull charge with terminators will be with Rapid Ingress stratagem but it is quite late way to deliver them

If You want more dreadnoughts Librarian dred can work also as "transport" for DC (he is not primaris but neither are terminators so mayby this could work)

51 minutes ago, Khorneeq said:

In my opinion the biggest chances for succesfull charge with terminators will be with Rapid Ingress stratagem but it is quite late way to deliver them

If You want more dreadnoughts Librarian dred can work also as "transport" for DC (he is not primaris but neither are terminators so mayby this could work)

Why would the Terminaors be late if deep striking?

They are also the new taller models, not my old ones that now look like dwarves...