Tyranid Unit of the Week 10th Ed Ripper swarms

Brother Nathan

++Rippers++

nidsbackground.PNG.ab23399cb50982eef23ac14901b5d8de.PNG

We have a new unit of the week! the age old rippers. Have you found a use. are you taking them at all. let us know.

To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)? And at what points restrictions?

What size unit? Will you be running multiple units?

What Enhancements, Hyper Adaptations and Stratagems do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?

Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?

Edited by Brother nathan

ive touched on them in the node gaunts thread and they aint looking great to me. their main thing is lots of attacks small relatively cheap easy to hide units but im not a fan. i used to compare them to necron scarab swarms.  but stats wise so much has changed and i dont see what rippers have gained. they probably gain more than most units with anything affecting critical s due to volume of poor attacks. the only real way id likely take them is as parasite summons and thats purely by chance it works. mind that was the same last edition. having the oc of opponents units  is an interesting interaction but then when their oc is 0 you need to rely on something else doing the holding...  could be interesting to undermine enemy units with such combined with a charge from say hormagaunts. 

thoughts?

they could have had something like small hard to hit with vunerable to blasts/flames as they had similar in the past. and cheaper. kinda wonder is crawling around  thing like modifier for cc too. not great for a powerfist to try to squish em but effective when it hits. mostly i just think they are slightly to expensive (and no flying option either... didn't forge world make flying ones...)

however i forgot one thing.. free upgrade of spine maws... ohhh.... 

They might be a cheap way to pop up and hold a table quarter for some of the missions - I thik our next cheapest unit that can deepstrike is the lictor or raveners at 75, however these have a much smaller profile, though are less killy. 

The OC0 and halving OC is a bit silly as said above - they can't even flip an objective. It would have been better to give enemies within 6" OC0 to represent them eating whatever was important in the first place, as they used to (I think in 2nd ed, you removed a terrain piece if rippers moved over it, as they ate everything in their path). 

Output wise, pretty weak, don't even bother. To get benefit from their special rule, you need a unit of them on a home objective, then to also hold that objectve with another unit. Dropping OC10 to OC5 still means they take it from an OC0 unit (what were they thinking??)

I might try a couple of units in the list to score linebreaker or possibly the corner objective gambit.