Aggressors or Terminators?

Dracos

I think the Gravis Captain and the Apothecary Biologis are overall more impressive than the Terminator Captain and Chaplain, and importantly- the Gravis characters can be added to the same unit.

I don't particularly rate the Terminator Librarian, I think he has the least impressive power of all the Librarians.

As for unique characters, Calgar is probably a strong pick for Aggressors, whilst Lysander is a solid pick for Terminators, and I now rate him above Tor Garadon again.

Speaking of Lysander - apparently he's getting a new model that should come out alongside Sicarius. These are the whispers I have heard. No idea of when such a release will happen, unfortunate. 

47 minutes ago, Dracos said:

…. my luck, I just bought bits I needed to build my counts as Lysander :dry:

It might be worth waiting and seeing about making a different character out of it? Although I don't know the veracity of the rumour, I highly suspect Lysander and the other Terminator characters will be redone in the near to mid term.

14 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

I don't particularly rate the Terminator Librarian, I think he has the least impressive power of all the Librarians.

Since the change to devastating wounds, I don't rate TA Chaplains as highly as I used to.
They have a place with Assault Terminators to be sure (specifically TH/SS ones), but for regular Terminators, I'd probably take a TA Librarian every day of the week: 

- FNP against MW used to be great, but now it's highly situational due to how limited MW is for most armies.
- FNP against [Psychic] is also highly situational, but when it comes into play, it will probably do much more. (Imagine having it against Thousand Sons or psychic-heavy Tyranids. The resilience of those Terminators will skyrocket.)

- Having +1 to wound in melee is good, but it's limited to...well, melee.
- Sustained Hits(1) on the other hand, is basically the equivalent of having +1 WS and +1 BS, and will benefit both a units shooting and melee.

(In melee, If you wound on 5+ or 4+ before modifiers, +1 to wound is better. If you wound on 3+ before modifiers, both effects are equal. If you wound on 2+ before modifiers. So generally speaking, +1 to wound is better than Sustained Hits(1) in close combat, but it's obviously useless for ranged attacks.)

So for me, the TA Librarian goes with the Terminators, the TA Chaplain goes with the Assault Terminators and the TA Captain... stays on the shelf and looks badass? :tongue:

(On a more serious note: The efficiency of a TA Captain depends on your detachment I'd say. If he can give you a free strat that outweighs Sustained Hits(1) or +1 to wound in melee, go for it. If not, go with a TA Librarian or Chaplain.

For me who will most likely use the Firestorm Detachment more of then than not - being a Salamanders player - the Captain essentially becomes a Chaplain that trades the "FNP against MW"-rule for a "Reroll charge"-rule and a better statline, given his free uses of the +1 to wound-stratagem. Worth it? Probably.)

Edited by Minsc

3 hours ago, Tacitus said:

I have a Libby and some generic Jump Packs to make a Jump Pack Libby.  Just in time for him to leave the Codex. 

He was one of the first characters I made for my Blood Angels. Axe and inferno pistol. 

I'm hoping that he'll be back when BA codex comes out with them being the 'jump pack chapter' and all that. 

11 hours ago, Dracos said:

…. my luck, I just bought bits I needed to build my counts as Lysander :dry:

Oh I wouldn't hold off from a project like this. We might not see fruits of these whispers for a long time.

Truth be told I was expecting a lot more chapter support by this point than we've actually received. I think every classic character that remains in the codex, with a resin model that is typical not even on sale most of time time, needs a new plastic sculpt asap. They've already been granted up to date "Primaris" keywords and rules on top.

Agreed, I’m hoping to have the 10 new Termies, the Captain and “Lysander” counts as table ready by Halloween … 

… of course Shrike’s looking at me with askance of why I haven’t converted the Assault Intercessors into Jump Pack companions yet also lol

On 10/14/2023 at 6:12 AM, Dracos said:

Agreed, I’m hoping to have the 10 new Termies, the Captain and “Lysander” counts as table ready by Halloween … 

… of course Shrike’s looking at me with askance of why I haven’t converted the Assault Intercessors into Jump Pack companions yet also lol

I get the price issue, but I'm a big enough fan of the Jump Intercessor looks to make them up.