The Dark Angels Refresh, what are you looking forward to the most?

Helias_Tancred

I've heard its coming with our codex in early Spring and it will be significant, think Black Templars.

That being said, what are you looking forward to the most from this Dark Angel refresh? Units, upgrades, characters ... what do you think is coming that you look forward to the most?

For me, it's a Primaris Ezekiel. He is my favorite Dark Angel character, and while I painted my butt off for his very old metal miniature, I look forward to a new primaris Ezekiel with a really good sculpt!!

Edited by Eilio Tiberius

17 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

I'm hoping for company veterans type unit and Asmodai.

If I were a gambling man I'd put money on us getting a new primaris Asmodai, Ezekiel, Belial, and even Sammael! I also think we will get a Ravenwing Outrider box that will do black knights, a Deathwing terminator box, and a Dark Angel Veteran box with bits, robed bodies, etc. There might even be a Risen or "Lion's Bodyguard" kit?

Edited by Eilio Tiberius

I suppose Dark Angels new kits will be focused on two aspects: fulfilling those empty spaces left after moving firstborn to legends and reinforcing the new kits launched in Space Marines Codex.   

Of course its just a possibility. 

On the other hand they could help the First with long awaited reesculpts like Asmodai or Sammael, or Belial, remember he was beaten to the ground by Angron, an excellent chance to cross the Rubicon. 

With the Lion returned there are many things that could happen. (Risen, Interrogators,..) that would be coherent with recent background.

For me i'm craving upgrades of any kind (Primaris Scouts w/ heavy weapons option, jump assault,..) to make the green wing competitive. 

Edited by clumsy_explorer

I'd love a rescaled Deathwing box so that we can have Terminator squads, Knights and Command squads that match the new scale from Leviathan. Then updates for the Codez heroes for sure. Maybe we can finally get an Asmodai that looks cooler than the original which all the updates since the first model have failed to do. 

I would imagine >90% of the range refresh is going to be primarisizing old kits. Bikers, Termies, Blinged characters (Generics with DA specific armor bling). There may be some movement on the named characters - Ravenwing Blikers/Black Knights, Deathwing Assorteds, Belial.  

Belial may or may not switch to Gravis, he might even end up with multiple builds like before but Gravis Fist-Pistol OR Terminator instead of 2LC, TH/SS OR SB/PS

I'd be somewhat surprised if Sammael changes this time around.  He's already in a no-man's land his Jetbike and able to be either/or - sales would just be new model fandom and not really wholesale. 

I more expect some sort of new unit based around the Lion and his Un-Unforgiven as a bodyguard of some sort - similar to Calgar's Victrix Guard. 

Looking forward to the new Sammael model.  I've kitbashed my own, but would like to see how GW updates the Master of the Ravenwing.

I would also love to see a kit to turn the newly updated Terminators into the Deathwing. 

Next, I would love to see a new Interrogator Chaplain in Terminator Armor.

Primaris ravenwing will have to be a priority.  Deathwing can be an upgrade kit for the new termie kits.  But with firstborn bikers and land speeders going the way of the dodo, we will need some new ravenwing kits, ideally ones that smurfs don't get (think Darkshroud).

Mechanics-wise, obviously multiple task forces will be a thing.  With the return of the Lion, the hunt for the Fallen will have to change somewhat.  The whole "keep it secret from the Imperium" thing is gone, there will be no exterminatus now that the Lion is there to vouch for the loyalty of the legion, but there are still Fallen out there in need of the Lion's judgment.  So I don't see much scope for a "hunt the fallen" type of inner circle task force where the ravenwing finds em and the deathwing finishes them while keeping most of the legion in the dark. 

I'd like to see the legion reformed.  It makes perfect sense for all of the Unforgiven to be gathered under the Lion, and weren't the legions splintered into chapters and capped in size after Girlyman's first stint as Regent?  If he gets to reestablish the Realm of Ultramar, the Lion gets his legion back.

Since I never really built up more Ravenwing forces than I needed to support my Deathwing (~8 assorted bikes, 4 landspeeders, a Dark Talon, and a Darkshroud), I would probably take the next codex as an opportunity to go nuts on building a force of "new Ravenwing."

10 hours ago, march10k said:

Primaris ravenwing will have to be a priority.  Deathwing can be an upgrade kit for the new termie kits.  But with firstborn bikers and land speeders going the way of the dodo, we will need some new ravenwing kits, ideally ones that smurfs don't get (think Darkshroud).

Mechanics-wise, obviously multiple task forces will be a thing.  With the return of the Lion, the hunt for the Fallen will have to change somewhat.  The whole "keep it secret from the Imperium" thing is gone, there will be no exterminatus now that the Lion is there to vouch for the loyalty of the legion, but there are still Fallen out there in need of the Lion's judgment.  So I don't see much scope for a "hunt the fallen" type of inner circle task force where the ravenwing finds em and the deathwing finishes them while keeping most of the legion in the dark. 

I'd like to see the legion reformed.  It makes perfect sense for all of the Unforgiven to be gathered under the Lion, and weren't the legions splintered into chapters and capped in size after Girlyman's first stint as Regent?  If he gets to reestablish the Realm of Ultramar, the Lion gets his legion back.

Since I never really built up more Ravenwing forces than I needed to support my Deathwing (~8 assorted bikes, 4 landspeeders, a Dark Talon, and a Darkshroud), I would probably take the next codex as an opportunity to go nuts on building a force of "new Ravenwing."

(AFAIK) Cypher is still out there for a resolution.  I would expect to see that in an upcoming summer campaign or maybe end-of-11th teasers.  Especially now that the Lion is already back, and has a sword of some sort, so the sword on Cypher's back is even more mysteriously meaningless.

As I already had an Ultramarines force I never got heavy into Greenwing, but have every edition since I forget which one.. 5th?  7th?   - The one with the Demi-Companies, and Belial and Sammael doing FOC shenanigans for their respective company - tried to keep a combi-wing force of some kind going usually with Deathwing Anvils to be used by Ravenwing Hammers.   That said I think both are getting too expensive to run together.   I'd like to see just a little expansion for both - Deahtwing Heavy Intercessors, Talonmaster on a bike instead of a Storm Speeder to try and get their PPM down. 

As a Dark Angel player I've always leaned into the battle company the most with usually a unit or two from the Ravenwing or Deathwing supporting them. In 8th and 9th that was usually Ravenwing units, but with the terminator changes in 10th that will become more balanced. I ran a Deathwing Knights squad last game and they absolutely were my MVPs. 

One of the first lists I wrote for 10th was a Deathwing list as I think that's a viable thing to do now with Land Raiders being good now so you can get decent anti-tank and between Knights and DW Terminators we've got good line troops too now that are tanky enough for objectives. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with releases to support this. 

On 8/30/2023 at 10:40 AM, Eilio Tiberius said:

As a Dark Angel player I've always leaned into the battle company the most with usually a unit or two from the Ravenwing or Deathwing supporting them. In 8th and 9th that was usually Ravenwing units, but with the terminator changes in 10th that will become more balanced. I ran a Deathwing Knights squad last game and they absolutely were my MVPs. 

For most of the last 25 years, I've preferred greenwing, as well, although they've rarely been competitive.  Now, just 5 years after I finish the 5th company, they're to be relegated to the dustbin of history.  Pretty sad.  As long as they're still legal, however, I can't see devastators ever being bad.  In 9th, I was running two dev squads huddled around Azzy in the upper floos of a ruin (when available), and they rocked!

On 8/30/2023 at 10:46 AM, Progenitor said:

One of the first lists I wrote for 10th was a Deathwing list as I think that's a viable thing to do now with Land Raiders being good now so you can get decent anti-tank and between Knights and DW Terminators we've got good line troops too now that are tanky enough for objectives. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with releases to support this. 

Yep, I'm bringing my mechanized deathwing back in 10th, as well.  The only problem is fixed squad size.  I'm able to attach two characters to one squad and one to another to waste somewhat less space in the crusaders, but, as is usually the case with pure deathwing, you have soooo many points left over.  So I'm not going pure.  I'm taking a darkshroud to stealth the tanks on turn one, and have just enough left over after that to take a 5 man devastator squad for additional lascannons (one of my land raiders has godhammers).

On 8/30/2023 at 1:23 AM, Tacitus said:

the sword on Cypher's back is even more mysteriously meaningless.

Even if it's a forgery, that's never been relevant.  It's always been about the symbolism.  

12 hours ago, march10k said:

Yep, I'm bringing my mechanized deathwing back in 10th, as well.  The only problem is fixed squad size.  I'm able to attach two characters to one squad and one to another to waste somewhat less space in the crusaders, but, as is usually the case with pure deathwing, you have soooo many points left over.  So I'm not going pure.  I'm taking a darkshroud to stealth the tanks on turn one, and have just enough left over after that to take a 5 man devastator squad for additional lascannons (one of my land raiders has godhammers).

I've almost always done Combi-Wing.  As mentioned I had Ultras to do "Greenwing" play style, so when I went DA it was usually RW+DW (this was before Custodes) to get some fast punch and slower anvils.   I'd actually love to see a return of the old Ravenwing Squadron - Bikes + Attack Bike + Speeder - I'd probably do something like 3 Bikes + 1 ATV, 1 ATV that free floats, and one new Speeder = 10 marines, 

Even if it's a forgery, that's never been relevant.  It's always been about the symbolism.  

What Forgery?  They've never told us what it is.   But Guilliman has the Emperors Sword, The Lion has an entirely new sword.  So it could be either of his previous two (30K) swords, though the Wolf Sword is unlikely unless they're going to use that as a McGuffin for Russ next summer. 

I think more updated characters is what I’m looking forward to most. I’m not crazy about “Primaris” but a lot of that is because of the poses and Mk10 armor (and the abysmal fluff).

That being said the prospect of new plastic characters and no more finecast is exciting. I personally don’t have as much of an issue with the size of the old terminators and as long as all the models are consistent throughout an army, I really don’t think it matters, but I guess I’m still excited about new terminators. Haven’t built my old Belial yet, so I’m somewhat interested in what a new plastic model is going to be like.

Honestly I really want to see a new Sammael eventually, and I’m hoping that we get an upgrade sprue/transfer decals that are on par (if not surpassing) what the Templars got. Oh.. and a new interrogator chaplain would be dope too!

Depending on how this update goes, Dark Angels may surpass SW as my main “non-compliant” chapter. I know I’ve already mentioned the Templars release, but I really hope that set the model for how GW updates their SM chapters.. seeing the equivalent for BA, DA, and SW would be so awesome…

52 minutes ago, Toxichobbit said:

Posting wolf crotch on the Dark Angels forum. I like the cut of your jib!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:  Yeah, I have no idea why it posted that image using the paste post link feature here on the board - maybe it was the only image in the thread?  It’s very odd that’s the case.

I'm most looking forward to some kind of a cohesive story.   When the Lion was announced I couldn't wait for the coordinated release of complimentary story and models... 

when that didn't happen,  and tenth started to poke its head out, I couldn't wait for the inevitable 10th launch video centered around his return...

Now I'm kind of scratching my head as to why a beautiful model, and a hugely anticipated character has been left unsupported.  

4 hours ago, farfromsam said:

Now I'm kind of scratching my head as to why a beautiful model, and a hugely anticipated character has been left unsupported.  

It not like Gulliman's return led to lots of new Ultramarines figures.

And from the perspective of people playing other forces have the DA gotten lots of special figures and boxes throughout the years (when in some cases another paintjob on the standard figure would have been enough  - Ravenwing n Deathwing) - when other 1th Founding chapters have only gotten one named character and a upgrade kit, if that, so if we want to be generous do others deserve new stuff more then the DA. And any new upgrade kit or character for other chapters is something that successor Unforgiven player can use to give their chapter a style of its own.

Edited by Gamiel