The Dark Angels Refresh, what are you looking forward to the most?

Helias_Tancred

4 hours ago, farfromsam said:

I'm most looking forward to some kind of a cohesive story.   When the Lion was announced I couldn't wait for the coordinated release of complimentary story and models... 

when that didn't happen,  and tenth started to poke its head out, I couldn't wait for the inevitable 10th launch video centered around his return...

Now I'm kind of scratching my head as to why a beautiful model, and a hugely anticipated character has been left unsupported.  

I'm not into the Primarch saga, but didn't he get some forest book or something at launch?

Roboute came with 8th edition.  And for better or worse an entire new line of marine models.  This started a whole split imperium.  I believe he even came with valdus and cypher to drive story lines. 

Lol, I do not want a prime primaris release, but it would be nice to have a cohesive launch.  Instead he was aborted onto the scene at the end of an edition with rules to grab pay.  This is right after Azrael's box set with DA terminators who are rumored to be scaled out this spring.  

We are getting more love than some first born, but  this feels like step dad love who was on his way home from work and remembers your birthday.  Yes it's love, but you misspelled my name, and I like star wars not star trek.

It's not a real problem, it's just me hoping they do a little better this go round.  It's a wish list.  Life is good.  

19 hours ago, farfromsam said:

Roboute came with 8th edition.  And for better or worse an entire new line of marine models.  This started a whole split imperium.  I believe he even came with valdus and cypher to drive story lines. 

Lol, I do not want a prime primaris release, but it would be nice to have a cohesive launch.  Instead he was aborted onto the scene at the end of an edition with rules to grab pay.  This is right after Azrael's box set with DA terminators who are rumored to be scaled out this spring.  

We are getting more love than some first born, but  this feels like step dad love who was on his way home from work and remembers your birthday.  Yes it's love, but you misspelled my name, and I like star wars not star trek.

It's not a real problem, it's just me hoping they do a little better this go round.  It's a wish list.  Life is good.  

I get what you mean.

Kinda like with the Ynnari plot, Psychic Awakening and probably some other narrative threads, GW will start something with promise but fail to deliver. They can set-up but fail on the pay-off.

GW are the J. J. Abrams of wargaming.

• 1 month later...

To be honest I am just looking for points drops for deathwing with some rules that make them somewhat distinct from standard termies. Maybe some new detachments that will actually compete with with codex space marine. Right now I have zero reason to bring codex specific units and am just using my Redeemed as Dark Angels in name only. I really want a reason to pick up the Lion but he doesnt slot in right now with any of my current lists :/

I love the Dark Angel theme, and I would like to see their units be distinctive. I recently started painting up the Lion model, and honestly it's such a great representation of him on the tabletop it tempts me to collect a bigger Dark Angel force.

In the case of Deathwing - I think an upgrade sprue could cover their unique trim and provide additional weapon options. Every unit has a special rule, and a good way to make them distinctive is to award them with something other than "Fury of the First" but I don't know what that would be.

The Deathwing Knights probably deserve an updated kit. I would say the same applies to the Ravenwing Black Knights - an Outrider glow up.

After seeing that the Ultramarines had whole bunch of their units culled, I wonder if the same fate will be applied to some of the more niche characters and units in other chapters.

On 9/10/2023 at 4:20 PM, farfromsam said:

I'm certain that the White Scars, Iron Hands, Salamanders, and Raven Guard players understand your pain. I mean it's not sounding one bit spoiled to complain about that your subfaction should get more when the DA already have more stuff to their name than any other chapter. 

On 9/10/2023 at 5:35 AM, JayJapanB said:

I'm confused then - what's the problem? Isn't this what people wanted?

The "wake up" scene for Guilliman was cathartic in a way that Son of the Forest and AoO: Angron were not. It immediately sets the tone for his interactions with the Ultramarines and his place among them. I like Son of the Forest and AoO: Angron, but neither gave a good indication to me of what the "new normal" would be.

5 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

I love the Dark Angel theme, and I would like to see their units be distinctive. I recently started painting up the Lion model, and honestly it's such a great representation of him on the tabletop it tempts me to collect a bigger Dark Angel force.

In the case of Deathwing - I think an upgrade sprue could cover their unique trim and provide additional weapon options. Every unit has a special rule, and a good way to make them distinctive is to award them with something other than "Fury of the First" but I don't know what that would be.

The Deathwing Knights probably deserve an updated kit. I would say the same applies to the Ravenwing Black Knights - an Outrider glow up.

After seeing that the Ultramarines had whole bunch of their units culled, I wonder if the same fate will be applied to some of the more niche characters and units in other chapters.

Just up front: I acknowledge and am okay with the fact that any new Dark Angel biker and speeder units are going to be updated to match Outriders and Storm Speeders.

I'm okay with Deathwing Terminators retiring as a unique unit once the current kit runs out of stock and the mold is done. They're very cool narratively, I just don't think there's enough room in the current rules paradigm for their unit to be unique and have another unique rule for the Deathwing Knights. I'd rather save anything cool for rules in a Deathwing detachment.

I can only assume a new Deathwing Knight kit would only occur when the current mold is done. A new kit to match the new Terminator scale would be nice, simply because I don't like the current Deathwing Knight sculpts. 

I don't remember off the top of my head, but does the new Marine codex have weapon options for Outrider sergeants? If so, it may indicate future-proofing for a multipart kit. I'd expect such a thing to release along with Ravenwing Knights (made using the same CAD file). I'm hoping the holiday box is an indication that they're clearing out the last of the ETB Outriders now that they're not in the starter sets.

I hope the Talonmaster Land Speeder gets retired or replaced with something like a Lieutenant on Bike. I'd accept a Talonmaster Storm Speeder, but I wouldn't like it.

I think one way to get a more unique Ravenwing Knights would be to put them on grav-bikes. Then they could have an updated Sammael and he wouldn't look so out of place. Or maybe a generic Master on Bike or Master on Grav-bike?

I want Ezreal to get an update and then either Sapphon or Asmodai. I figure it'd be nice if Dark Angels had updated models for the Chapter Master, Chief Librarian, and Master of Sanctity (or at least an important Chaplain). Belial's sculpt is atrocious, but I wouldn't mind if he was just retired. Lysander is the only other special First Captain and the Imperial Fists don't have a Chapter Master unit.

Edited by jaxom
grammar

I dislike the Belial pose quite a bit, so a new version would be very welcome as the current one looks like he is squeezing his knees together.  Fight faster brothers.  I must hit the head, but you need me here and I will not wet my armor again." 

As for Terminators I cannot find it in me to care one way or another as I have loads of them of all different sizes.

DSC05363.JPG.22573e3d266219b151351641e672082d.JPG

See what I mean?  As I primarily run pure Deathwing and there are plenty of models in between those two extremes it blurs together and no one really notices.  Do not mistake my apathy here; if a new kit is release I will add a few of them because I seem to have the need to finish the Deathwing.  When I say the Deathwing I mean THE Deathwing, as in all of it.  All twenty squads with three squads of Knights and a Command Squad.

3 hours ago, FashaTheDog said:

When I say the Deathwing I mean THE Deathwing, as in all of it.  All twenty squads with three squads of Knights and a Command Squad.

And that’s just the part that the DA admit to on paper… :yes:

Edited by Bryan Blaire

On 9/11/2023 at 10:41 AM, unrealchamp88 said:

Kinda like with the Ynnari plot, Psychic Awakening and probably some other narrative threads, GW will start something with promise but fail to deliver. They can set-up but fail on the pay-off.

Remember that the lore only exists to help sell the models. GW set up the scenarios and then it is up to us as players to determine the outcome in our games. The idea that narratives have a solid conclusion doesn't fit well with the open-ended universe GW has created.

1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

Remember that the lore only exists to help sell the models. GW set up the scenarios and then it is up to us as players to determine the outcome in our games. The idea that narratives have a solid conclusion doesn't fit well with the open-ended universe GW has created.

Also, GW have many times introudced seemingly big/important plot points in one edition that they did not continue untill much later. 

Suppose I play DA, then model kits of wings(e.g. outrider sized black knight) are much more desired than characters.

If GW don't release a model for a named hero, he still could be included in some random future release wave, since he is just 1 blister. To kit bash him also need less effort. If unit like black knight missed the 10th release time window…I don't know how many years is needed to wait.

Also, character models are set at higher price today, a single walking infantry character could be raised to £25+. GW won't miss this chance to grab profit. When BT updated in 9th, BT players all hoped GW release new models of our 3 named heroes. And GW released 6 BT character products, 200% of expectation. 

Edited by Tokugawa

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Valrak mentioned rumors about a Companion type unit yesterday.  The way he described them they almost sound like Sword Brethren, but they can have a two handed Great Sword type of weapon.  This is the type of unit I have personally hoped for.  Hopefully they can be in units of 5/10 and not 3/6 like BGV have been screwed into

Edited by Mike8404