Legions Imperialis & Epic hobby chat!

Pacific81

1 hour ago, LameBeard said:

Is the trench going to be allies, ready to advance once the titan steps over them, or enemies making a futile last gesture of defiance, or dead enemies, already burned and blasted?

All of the above of course. Make a little duel diorama of it. If you can't go all-out for a Warlord when can you?

Ok, sort of related topic.  I know the 18 legions of the HH era had some different color schemes from 40K.  Is there a good resource on what they looked like?  Perhaps something that recommends a proper contract paint to quickly paint up a legion of small dudes?  There might be a better channel to ask this in, so kindly point the way.

Thanks!

On 11/10/2023 at 12:01 AM, vadersson said:

Ok, sort of related topic.  I know the 18 legions of the HH era had some different color schemes from 40K.  Is there a good resource on what they looked like?  Perhaps something that recommends a proper contract paint to quickly paint up a legion of small dudes?  There might be a better channel to ask this in, so kindly point the way.

Thanks!

I'm not sure on exact contrast paints (although epic scale takes quick paints very well) but here is an image of the colour schemes as they appeared in the Heresy 5LYzTBVoS196gvYvw3zjwNplsmpgDJywmPpsrP7C

Frustratingly I couldn't find an image similar to the above of all of the Legions in their 'pre-primarch' colour schemes (for example the Death Guard were known as the Dusk Raiders and white and red). I think @apologist or @Noserenda might have some information on that and might be able to help more than I?

On 11/11/2023 at 3:04 PM, Pacific81 said:

I'm not sure on exact contrast paints (although epic scale takes quick paints very well) but here is an image of the colour schemes as they appeared in the Heresy 5LYzTBVoS196gvYvw3zjwNplsmpgDJywmPpsrP7C

Frustratingly I couldn't find an image similar to the above of all of the Legions in their 'pre-primarch' colour schemes (for example the Death Guard were known as the Dusk Raiders and white and red). I think @apologist or @Noserenda might have some information on that and might be able to help more than I?

A little late to the party on this topic, but you can see the various Legion schemes pre-Primarch in the old FW Heresy black books pertaining to said Legions. I’m sure there are pics of them online that show each off. 

Also, Dusk Raiders were storm grey with red right pauldrons / arms (which was derived from their nickname “Emperor’s Red Right Hand”). 

I've almost completed my iron warrior starting force and am at the last couple of steps where i need to do lights, energy effects, the glass on the flyers windows, and some pigments. 

PXL_20231123_0117015502.thumb.jpg.660a3626d69d67ea8d55ed715f6f1a73.jpgPXL_20231123_0117153313.thumb.jpg.a4cccbd982d335b1ff52d973041cfc93.jpgPXL_20231123_0119009342.thumb.jpg.a102d6acf773b88bae7b3871d1ebcc45.jpgPXL_20231123_0115592613.thumb.jpg.255010876ba926dab881d4bbd44f52ca.jpg

In total, I have:

• 1 command squad
  • 10 tacs
  • 4 assaults
  • 2 support
  • 2 heavy support
  • 11 terminators (6 tartaros and 5 tyrants for some cool variety)
  • 4 sicarans (2 plasma, 2 normal)
  • 4 predators
  • 4 dreads 
  • 3 xyphons

Pretty sure that's like 800 points lol, 1000 tops.  The decision to do hazards on all the vehicles and terminators will probably come back to haunt me as I bulk up, but we'll see how I feel after launch weekend.

2 hours ago, Nagashsnee said:

Great work @SkimaskMohawk!My resin is getting here today, and i am looking forward to printing out some units to round off the force, cant wait for launch day! Are you going pure 3d or mixing 3d and gw?

I'm going to be mixing stuff and see how it goes. If the GW mold stretches are too insane then I'll default back to printing.

11 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

I've almost completed my iron warrior starting force and am at the last couple of steps where i need to do lights, energy effects, the glass on the flyers windows, and some pigments. 

PXL_20231123_0117015502.thumb.jpg.660a3626d69d67ea8d55ed715f6f1a73.jpgPXL_20231123_0117153313.thumb.jpg.a4cccbd982d335b1ff52d973041cfc93.jpgPXL_20231123_0119009342.thumb.jpg.a102d6acf773b88bae7b3871d1ebcc45.jpgPXL_20231123_0115592613.thumb.jpg.255010876ba926dab881d4bbd44f52ca.jpg

In total, I have:

• 1 command squad
  • 10 tacs
  • 4 assaults
  • 2 support
  • 2 heavy support
  • 11 terminators (6 tartaros and 5 tyrants for some cool variety)
  • 4 sicarans (2 plasma, 2 normal)
  • 4 predators
  • 4 dreads 
  • 3 xyphons

Pretty sure that's like 800 points lol, 1000 tops.  The decision to do hazards on all the vehicles and terminators will probably come back to haunt me as I bulk up, but we'll see how I feel after launch weekend.

Nice aircraft!

I’m thinking about ripping my Knights and Titans off their bases and placing them on the LI bases… it’ll drive me up a wall having a disparity between the AT and LI models and I just don’t have it in me to make a billion more bases. 

I'm ok with different bases slightly for things such as Titans. They're a centerpiece of the army whenever the army is array invariably almost simply because size... and we don't even have bases for vehicles.

I appreciate those who want the consistency approach. My hat's off to you.

I think I might paint a few titans as a new Legio - possibly Ignatum, and have them on thin bases. I don’t need any more engines for my Astorum or Mortis but I’ll have them. I might not actually build them straight away as getting an army on the board is a bigger priority. 

I haven’t decided what faction or Legion(s) I’ll actually play, but I did get hold of a couple of the new hounds. Here’s one built. 

IMG_7588.thumb.jpeg.32122216ba5e561ff8b821d944845842.jpeg

Melta and missiles is a very silly load-out but ignore that. It’s blu-tacked for now. 

The other guns are identical to the resin, as far as I can tell. 

IMG_7589.thumb.jpeg.fa9ea7ea4307f9b0eabafcf1cae61c09.jpeg

I’ve got a warbringer and reaver unbuilt, plus a couple more hounds. That’s a solid foundation for a demi-legio intended just to support ground forces. It’s a bit irritating that the bases are all out of stock though. 

So I've started work on bases that match my Tech Shanty aesthetic. First up: 25mm round bases!

25MM ROUND BASES FOR 6MM/8MM MINIATURES - TECH SHANTY TEXTURE
2gfGpom.jpg
m3VnyFA.jpg
nyqXrjg.jpg
fsVLpim.jpg
V3stRYq.jpg

Designed for various scifi 6mm / 8mm scaled tabletop wargames, these bases are perfect for mounting infantry or light vehicles.

This kit contains the following parts:
- 10x 25mm diameter round bases
- 10x 25mm diameter round bases with 5x holes of 6.10mm
- 50x 6.10mm diameter inserts for holes in the bases (texture matching the base)
- 50x 6.10mm diameter inserts for holes in the bases (matching texture + additional details bits on top)

Please do not share or sell these files (including prints and remixes) without my written permission.

Note that the final picture with the infantry and Barghest on top only shows what can be done with these bases. Infantry and Barghest are not included in this kit!

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/25mm-round-bases-for-6mm-8mm-miniatures-tech-shanty-texture

Also, don't forget to use the promo code BLITZDISCOUNT to get 50% (valid until the 30th of November 2023).

On 11/23/2023 at 7:22 PM, Mandragola said:

I think I might paint a few titans as a new Legio - possibly Ignatum, and have them on thin bases. I don’t need any more engines for my Astorum or Mortis but I’ll have them. I might not actually build them straight away as getting an army on the board is a bigger priority. 

I haven’t decided what faction or Legion(s) I’ll actually play, but I did get hold of a couple of the new hounds. Here’s one built. 

I’m doing mine in Mortis. My buddy laughed and asked if I intend to do the entire Legio and I replied, “yes”.

I have considered doing Audax as I’m on the fence on doing the Assault Marines as World Eaters (I’m not too keen on the idea of Death Guard Assault Marines though I know they did exist).