Legions Imperialis & Epic hobby chat!

Pacific81

I’m not sure if everyone saw this, but GW has announced that Heresy Thursday will pick back up with new announcements for Horus Heresy and Legions Imperialis, including a big announcement for LI. 

Quoting from the subreddit:

“For those that skipped the video interview with Andy (Horus Heresy Studio Manager) there are a couple of points (mainly in the last minute) that pertain to LI fans:

•    ⁠The "long term" ambition is that anything made at full scale for Age of Darkness will also be made at Epic scale for LI
•    ⁠There is a mention of future factions (Mechanicum, Custodes and Sisters of Silence), in the future but that developing the Astartes and Auxilia range will be the priority "in the next few years"
•    ⁠Relevant to this is the fact that Legion specific plastic units for Age of Darkness are also years away, so it would follow that Legion specific units for LI are also a really long way off.
•    ⁠Andy also made a point of saying that "Legions Imperialis is a great range because it is all plastic", which might be an indication that we won't be getting too many more Forge World models (beyond the ones that already exist which you could argue are a holdover from Aeronautica and Titanicus games)

You can see the video here (LI discussion begins at 4:25).”

IMG_4855.jpeg

Interesting that while he mentions Mechanicum, Custodes and Sisters of Silence, he also says that the focus will be on fleshing out both the Astartes and Auxilia lines “for the next few years”. 

Edited by DuskRaider

Have finished off a mini project, Crusade-era Death Guard. To differentiate from their heretical traitorous incarnation, went for a much cleaner white and bottle green look (like the art from the cover of Flight of the Eisenstein), and used mostly mk3 marines. The square bases were also done deliberately, as they helped with the concept of massed ranks of Death Guard infantry inexorably marching forwards.

DG_Complete1.webp

These are meant as a gift for a good friend, who always loved Pre-Heresy Death Guard and liked these colours (rather than their stained-coloured concept) specifically. He preferred 28mm, but as I don't have £1000 and 5 years spare to paint them, he is getting Epic scale instead. :biggrin: Another friend is painting up a Reaver Titan to go with them (War Griffins) while another is creating a wooden display box for them to sit in. 

There are a fair amount of standard Legions minis used. The larger artillery and some of the crew are from Vanguard miniatures, while the MK3 marines are the KMFP Designs 3D prints. The bases are from Dark Arts miniatures.

Still impressed by how nice my old artillery designs fit with the modern Legions Imperialis stuff! :)

Yes they are really great mate! I love the open cab designs. Means you can have little marine artillery crew loading shells - always thought this was one of the coolest differentiations from how marines are portrayed in 40k, so was keen to get that represented with the miniatures.

Got my Sabres and Termites. Termites are a great kit but the missiles on the Sabres make the rhino exhausts seem like child’s play. They are pretty ridiculous and should have been part of the sides.

Also why on earth is the little bit that goes inside the right track not just moulded on. It makes no sense.

Got a few more Night Lords reinforcements painted up. The 'Xiphon', head-pole bits and decorative corpses are from Vanguard miniatures.

Just some Sabres to do now and I'll be up to 2.5k for an event I'm taking part in in a few weeks

20240912_073106.JPG

Edited by Pacific81

Amazing lightning, @Pacific81

Meanwhile, I finished a couple of forests with my younger son (who is very anti-Warhammer but I convinced him these could be used for Star Wars Legion too.

IMG_4491.thumb.jpeg.9c650ce999d3b91b06813a403b88691b.jpeg

I’m pretty pleased how they turned out, but took a lot longer than I hoped. I had wanted to make 8 in the same time! I will look for shortcuts in the next batch.

Great work Paz and LB.

Not strictly Epic, but from small to smaller, I painted some torpedoes for BFG in a couple of hours for yesterday's game, where my Imperials ripped some Chaos nasties a few extra vents.

1197951-.png

Technically they're still Epic models, made from AI Ork missiles as they are :D

First a chaplain, then a command vehicle, field police, a medical wagon... soon you'll have all the attachments for a proper order of battle :D

I have been looking for somewhere to use my helix decal from the 90s Epic decal sheet, but I’m worried red doesn’t go with purple … and field police tempting too, but same colour issues … might wait for a different legion.  And the Lord Commander is not going to slum it with the plebs in a rhino, that’ll have to be something bigger …

Thanks @Pacific81, it's the way my old fleets are based too.

Meanwhile in Epicland, 3k NetEA. Dark Angels made an attempt at a lightning strike against the Machine Church, but the unyielding purity of steel prevailed and the astartes were scattered onto the streets, slick and glistening with the all-soaking rain of oil.

1198173-.png

(Hmm... is the forum UI doing something weird, I can't find the Spoiler-option? Oh well...)

1198174-.png
1198175-.png
1198176-.png
1198177-.png
1198178-.png
1198179-.png
1198180-.png